Best brand/model PFD for a 4 year old?

Paddling gear and boat review

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Best brand/model PFD for a 4 year old?

Post by Canoe_Codger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 pm

What is the best brand/model PFD for a 4 year old? I had my granddaughter this weekend and we went to the river to play in a shallow riffle. This is the PFD that her daddy came up with for her, and I refused to take her canoeing with it after seeing how it (didn't) fit. I've taken her before (last year) wearing one that zipped on like a one-piece swimsuit and it worked well. In this picture you see this one's "best" adjustment. Not good at all.

I took both of my now-adult children canoeing when they were this age without any problem. But this "youth" PFD scares me to death.

Michael

Canoe_Codger

Re: Best brand/model PFD for a 4 year old?

Post by Canoe_Codger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Stohlquist Nemo maybe?

Clif

Post by Clif » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:43 am

there are better than the pic jackets that work fine available at big stores.. with straps to help against the "swimmer's ear" syndrome shown there.... between the legs to hold it on the torso. Easy to tell ones that are secure and ones that just sit there, or float off. My kids used them. A lot. :kayak: Once bigger we went to boater specific types, about 40 lbs plus i think
You sure this is on the right channel?

Canoe_Codger

Post by Canoe_Codger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:03 am

I ordered the Type III Stohlquist Nemo last night. It does have a crotch strap to keep her from falling out of it. And a lift handle like Jake's dog PFD. She weighs 40# and swims well enough for a four year old, but not with both hands holding her pfd low enough that she can see out of it. And not in any kind of swift water. Hopefully this one will arrive before next weekend. I have to fly her back to her Mom in Idaho on the 17th. Thanks. Anyone have experience with this or other similar child PFDs?
Attachments
Nemo.png
Nemo.png (78.6 KiB) Viewed 2925 times

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:19 pm

I had the same thoughts with my brothers two boys several years ago. I did buy the youngest one a PFD with crotch strap from Wal-Mart, but got a Lotus Designs model 419 from OOO for the older one at the time.It is just as good, and comfortable a Type III paddlers jacket as we adults wear. It fits little persons in the 50 to 90 lb. range, chest size 261/2-29". Smaller kids will definitely need a smaller jacket, and one with added straps however ,like you, I do think the jacket must be sized to their weight, and size, perhaps more so than their age. And be of a better quality, like the one you ordered!

Best Regards
Jim

Canoe_Codger

Post by Canoe_Codger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks for the input Jim. And Clif. If the Stohlquist doesn't arrive before I have to fly her back to Idaho, I'll ship it to her out there when I get back. And we won't do any canoeing here this time. The pfd her dad bought her is a youth size with no crotch strap and you can see the result. Not only does it not do it's job, but it hinders her ability to swim. After that picture this past weekend, I took it off of her and just hoovered nearby while she swam to make sure she didn't get into the swift water and get swept downstream. I used to tow her mother behind my canoe on BNR and the Spring when she was that age. Here is where we were on the Tennessee Buffalo River near Linden.

The river flows left to right in that picture with the gravel bottomed riffle to the right of my car. To the left it is slower and deeper.

Social Media