Any bikers? info??

Open Discussion

Clif

Any bikers? info??

Post by Clif » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:27 am

Seriously looking at some mt bikes for the family. Went for the initial test rides and learning/shopping trip Monday. Can really tell the diff in a 400 and $1000 bike

Just kinda looking here for info... stay away froms.... be sure you gets... brand recs....etc.....
You sure this is on the right channel?

sig
Name: Bryan

Re: Any bikers? info??

Post by sig » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:35 am

The trend nowadays is for a 29" tire instead of the old standard of a 26". The 29 accelerates a little slower but it maintains that speed better. The 29 also seems to climb over stuff easier.

A quality rear suspension is going to add nearly $1000 to a similar hardtail bike. So keep that in mind if you find something too good to be true.

If you are in central Arkansas I've enjoyed dealing with Adam Taylor at Arkansas Cycling and Fitness (over on Bowman Curve). He understands not everyone is a racer unlike some of the sales folks out there.

Sam at Community Cyclist is another one that I've enjoyed dealing with and he carries Jamis bikes which are a little cheaper than the bigger brand names but still quality.

There's a huge difference between the $400 and $1000 level like you said. You get better quality parts and those parts last longer, shift smoother, stay true longer, weigh less, etc.

In your price range you'll be looking at aluminum frames and not carbon or steel. I've enjoyed riding my 2012 Trek X-Cal frame (built up with parts from a 2008 Gary Fisher Paragon).

With Trek (and other brands too I think), they use the same frame (material/geometry) for a few different models. The paint scheme and parts will be different. That lets you better compare similar bikes (like the Cobia vs the X-Cal).
Bryan Signorelli

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 am

also be aware that most manufacturers have their own take on geometry and will fit various body types differently

it's important to get fitted on/for the bike

also since a manufacturer's different price levels may have very similar frames but with improved components as price increases, it's a good option to buy a bike w/ less expensive components and upgrade those later

Foreverphishing
Name: chase

Post by Foreverphishing » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 am

What kind of riding will you mostly be doing? trails,roads, around town? id say the only reason you would need a full suspension is if your going to be doing mostly downhill riding, i bought a trek 3500 hard tail earlier this year for about 450$ ,aluminum frame and disc brakes. I am happy with the trek and its held up great other then a couple flats and the gears/brakes needing to be tuned up a little but that will happen to any bike after 100+miles.

DanMo
Name: Dan

Post by DanMo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 am

I raced mountain and road bikes for many years in Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma. once you have the basics covered such as finding the right bike that fits your needs, fits your body etc., the next most important thing I think of is mechanical knowledge. Mt. biking involves breaking and wearing out equipment in remote locations where walking out can be inconvenient. The mechanical knowledge you have can make the difference between a rudimentary fix on the trail and an unpleasant experience.

Bikes are at heart simple machines, but the knowledge is specific. There are good books on the subject you should look at. At the very least it will save you a lot of time and gas not going to the bike shop for adjustments and minor fixes. For example if you need shifter cable maintenance because you where riding in the rain or mud, you can do it in a few minutes at home and you are done. If you take it to the shop, even if it is a free service, you drove there, waited for an available mechanic, and next time you ride in the rain you will have to do it all again.

You need to know how to maintain bearings in bottom brackets, headsets, and wheel hubs. You don't need to know how to build wheels, but you do need to know how to repair them in the field. You need to know how to adjust gears and brakes. You need basic drive train maintenance, which means cleaning and lubrication.

Also I would focus on durability over weight savings, despite how nice a light bike feels, it is much easier and cheaper to lose weight off of your body than off of the bike.

Have fun it is a great sport that is very healthy.

Dan

wiredforsound
Name: Jeff Neisler

Post by wiredforsound » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:42 am

New bike shop in downtown Rogers, Arkansas called Boston Mountain Cycle.

http://bostonmountaincycles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark Barnett, the owner, recently did a complete tuneup on my recently acquired used mountain bike. I'm a beginner on a mountain bike, but have been riding hybrids for a few years now. I watched Mark do the complete tuneup /service & he seemed very thorough and then spent the time to get me a good fit on the bike. He carries Jamis brand but also occasionally has some used bikes, as well. Check them out.
Jeff Neisler (aka wiredforsound, formerly known as Godzilla)
4seven9.three8one.5nine9five

Clif

Post by Clif » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am

I see more gravel and dirt roads than full out trails. We live 2 miles down gravel so even from the house will be unpaved. We are about 30 minutes north of Conway.

thanks for the answers, folks!! :myday" :twocents:

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:43 pm

We like riding gravel roads! We've ridden the roads around Richland Creek CG and those out west of LR near Lake Sylvia.
Bryan Signorelli

Clif

Post by Clif » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:12 pm

sig wrote: We've ridden the roads around Richland Creek CG and those out west of LR near Lake Sylvia.
'Zactly the kinda stuff I see us doing. For starters anywho. Brock creek area is only 30 to 45 minutes from us.

Social Media