Eleven Point

Recreational and touring boaters

kru1
Name: Kristian

Eleven Point

Post by kru1 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:41 am

Anyone have information on the Eleven Point? Looking for info on day hikes, camping spots, scenery, etc...

We're floating (3 days/2nights) Hwy 19 to Riverton over Memorial Day Weekend.

Thanks,
kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Re: Eleven Point

Post by Lupe » Sat May 19, 2012 5:45 pm

From the river, definitely hike up to check out the old Turner Mill and Spring and also Boze Mill Spring. Boze Spring is really cool - you can stand right at the edge of the spring and just look WAY down into its depths. Mesmerizing. I don't know that you can hike to it from the river, but from 19 there is a hiking trail to Greer Spring...quite an impressive sight!

Unfortunately, unlike the other rivers in that area (Current, Jacks Fork), the Eleven Point doesn't have a lot of gravel bars so you'll probably need to camp at one of the float camps...which on Memorial Day weekend could be pretty crowded, or at any rate, be prepared that you may be sharing a camp area with others. Also as I recall, some of the float camps can be easy to miss as well, so get a map and be on the look out for the ones you want to find. Don't think you'll find someplace "around the next bend" - it's almost all woods right up to the river, as I recall.

I think I stayed at Barn Hollow Float Camp and I'm not sure I'd have realized it was there if the guys in our group hadn't known where it was (the camp is up in the woods above the river, and so there didn't seem to be any obvious sign that there was a camp there). It also is a bit of a haul up to the camping area if you've got a lot of stuff!

http://www.11pointcanoe.com/
This website has maps of the river and float camps - you'll be on the lower.

Hope you have a great trip...at least there will be water up there coming out of those wonderful springs!
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

kru1

Post by kru1 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks Lupe,

I know the Buffalo and the Kings like the back of my hand, but since they are so low thought that I would explore MOre this year. I've floated Jacks Fork, Current, Black, Meramec, Gasconade, and Big Piney in MO, but never the Eleven Point. That is the kind of info I was looking for.

Did you find that Barn Hollow campsite big enough to support a couple tents or are your tent guy lines crossing with your neighbor?

Thanks,
kru

Lupe

Post by Lupe » Sun May 20, 2012 9:24 pm

kru - it's kind of like a walk in backpacking site - there are several cleared spots you could set up tents. I think we had close to 10 folks on our trip, almost all in separate tents and we all managed...although it was off season enough so that no one else was there.

And just fair warning, although I don't want to discourage you (just prepare you), a lot of the folks who use those float camps do NOT understand how do their business in the woods...so beware (Barn Hollow actually had a very dilapidated outhouse, but it was so nasty that folks weren't using it, but were not practicing ethical wilderness toilet techniques either, so watch where you set up your tent...'nuff said).

Black River is another pretty one up there, but I don't know much about the put ins, etc. We day floated and base camped, but it has nice gravel bars. I can't recall though if it's as reliable as the Eleven Pt or Current...might be more like the Jacks Fork and need some rain in the watershed.

Oh yeah, and it's a bit further drive, but if you just want to do some easy hiking/sightseeing, Elephant Rocks State Park is interesting, as is Johnsons Shut-In State Park. Not wilderness by any stretch...very tourist-y, but fun and interesting none the less (I think).

Have fun...you're making me think I might want to take a summer trip up to Missouri!

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon May 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Barn Hollow is no more. Same with Stinking pond. I was on the 11pt last fall and we commented that due to recent floods the dynamics have change in some places making it more technical than what it use to be.
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Lupe

Post by Lupe » Mon May 21, 2012 9:23 pm

What exactly do you mean they "are no more"? Even if they are no longer "officially" designated float camps, there would still be cleared tent spots there, wouldn't there? Is there a no camping rule that would prohibit someone from staying there?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/mtnf/ ... width=full

The forest service still lists all the float camps on their website.
Last edited by Lupe on Mon May 21, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kru1

Post by kru1 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the campsites, had my tentative plan on Stinking Pond. The more technical, the better.

kru

kru1

Post by kru1 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Guess that you answered Lupe when I was writing. I know that I can camp anywhere on river left, that's my national forest. It is actually the Irish Wilderness Area. Heard that was a great place to explore on foot, but I'll have to wait to winter/early spring for that.

kru

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue May 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Greer Crossing is a NFS campground with host and water. Clean modern vault toilets.
Turner Mill Southside is a NFS campground. Not sure about water.
Stinking Pond is no longer maintained and is grown up with weeds.
Gravel bar across from Stinking Pond makes for nice river camping.
McDowell is not an official float camp but camping is doable.
Horseshoe Bend Float Camp is maintained. Nothing fancy.
Barn Hollow Float Camp is grown up. Becoming a jungle.
Whites Creek Float Camp is maintained.
Greenbriar Float Camp is maintained.
Boze Mill Float Camp is maintained. Has been improved somewhat.
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

DanMo
Name: Dan

Post by DanMo » Thu May 24, 2012 2:50 pm

I love this river, it is usually great trout fishing too. On memorial weekend camping opportunities will be limited since it is very heavilly traveled on summer weekends. I will be going sometime next week during the middle of the week. Looking forward to it. I plan to bring my goggles to look at the runout from this rapid.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/32367967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Me: Honey, don't feel bad about me leaving the kids with you while I played on the river, look I brought you home a new pair of glasses. Try them on they might even be your prescription.

Her: Grumble

Thanks
Dan

Social Media