Yakima Rack Installation on Camper Shell

Open Discussion

kevohudd

Yakima Rack Installation on Camper Shell

Post by kevohudd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:13 pm

I recently purchased a used ARE camper shell for my 2007 shortbed Tacoma and need advice on how to install a Yakima Rack System. If purchased new I would have ordered the rack installed from the manufacturer. I would like to install the Yakima Track System with the adjustable towers that lock into the tracks.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/ ... w-plusnuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am usually a do-it-yourself guy, but a little hesitate to take on this task without seeking advice. Is this an easy task? Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you recommend a professional?...If so who?

Please do not limit advice to the questions listed above. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

Tim Eubanks

Re: Yakima Rack Installation on Camper Shell

Post by Tim Eubanks » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:22 pm

I have a set of towers that you could attach directly to the shell with screws. Also have a set you can attach to the track if you install it (Control Towers and landing pads).

I put A1 towers on my suburban using the factory threaded holes: had a buddy fabricate the plates that simulate rain gutters that you can buy from Yakima.

You can get the plates and attach them to the shell (A1 towers are cheap as only 3 vehicles in production have rain gutters).

Guess it all depends on how many screws you need. :hammer:

justin.payne

Post by justin.payne » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:34 pm

I hear duct tape works perty good for them applications.

They sell it at wally world, next to the wooden spoons for a reason. Only those with the stones to use duct tape would need to know where the wooden spoons are.

kevohudd

Post by kevohudd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:24 pm

How is CO?...are you still welcome around these parts?

Clyde hall

Post by Clyde hall » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Agree with JP. Duct tape Daddy-o. Of course the irony is your roof racf will cost more than the camper.... :poke:

Dr. Steve Yaney

Post by Dr. Steve Yaney » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:43 pm

I had the guys install it when purchased the camper shell but it seems very easy. Just need to try to keep your holes, that you drill, all in line. The plastic "nuts" on the inside need to be tightened from time to time. On the inside the shell may have a ridge....that, if you put your holes in the wrong place, could end up not letting the nuts sit flush with the shell...so, may be better to drill the holes from the inside, plus the rougher surface will let you start the drill bit easier with less slippage and if you scratch the inside no big deal. As for the type of bit to use I yeild to others to answer but most suppliers should be able to give you that advice. I have had this camper on two trucks now for total of 8 years with no trouble. The biggest advantage of these is you can change the distance between the crossbars for different gear versus the fixed mounts you would have to re-drill.

Social Media