Ponca to Kyle's Questions

Recreational and touring boaters

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Ponca to Kyle's Questions

Post by RomanLA » Sat May 14, 2011 8:20 am

I'm working on my blog from my recent trip and I'm lacking in some details.

Is Wrecking Rock Rapid the one that has a big boulder with most of the flow going left and it wants to push you into a smaller boulder downstream (saw a boat pinned there)?

The river bends left and there's a low bluff on the right people jump off. There's a rapid that has two decent sized waves at the top (pictures below). Anyone know the name of that one?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/ ... CT0088.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/ ... CT0089.jpg

Mtngal
Name: Gerry Hemmer

Re: Ponca to Kyle's Questions

Post by Mtngal » Sun May 15, 2011 10:33 am

RLA, haven't floated that stretch in years, but in the late 80's the river had moved and Wrecking Rock was no longer a hazard. It was about 1.5 miles down from the low water bridge. Did a search for a low bluff in both of Ken Smith's Buffalo River Country and Buffalo River Handbook and don't find any mention of a low bluff. The funny thing about WR was I paddled that section many times looking for it and could never find it, so finally asked at Lost Valley Canoe and they told me it no longer was an issue Have been planning to run that, so you've given us the incentive to do it sooner than later.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sun May 15, 2011 11:21 am

I think the rapid may be just downstream of a low bluff with many holes- possibly Bee Bluff? I don't know that the rapid has a name, I couldn't find my Buffalo river books this morning.

Most of our resident Buffalo experts are ....surprise, surprise ... out floating the Buffalo this weekend. Look for a better answer when they return to civilization.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

gnick4
Name: gary

Post by gnick4 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Cowper wrote:I think the rapid may be just downstream of a low bluff with many holes- possibly Bee Bluff? I don't know that the rapid has a name, I couldn't find my Buffalo river books this morning.

Most of our resident Buffalo experts are ....surprise, surprise ... out floating the Buffalo this weekend. Look for a better answer when they return to civilization.
I believe Bee bluff is just below Kyle's and I believe it is rather large, it's a great camping spot. :beer:

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Killer Rock is at mile 29.3 (not an issue until 1990s)
Bee Bluff is at mile 29.6
Wrecking Rock (two or three rocks) is at Mile 30, on the upstream end of Roark Bluff. In the 1960s-70s it was in fast flowing water. By the 1990s the course had changed and they were bypassed.
-Buffalo River Handbook pg 155
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Social Media