Two Brother, Mohawk, Buffalo, Mad River,-Best tandem out Go!

Paddling gear and boat review

sjotime

Two Brother, Mohawk, Buffalo, Mad River,-Best tandem out Go!

Post by sjotime » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:59 pm

I’m kinda doing some looking around for a tandem Canoe, I’ve had a 16’ Buffalo in the past, but their have been a lot of new stuff out that has caught my eye.
Two Brothers have seem to have something going on, but I don’t know too much about them, would like to get some reviews on their two models.

Dave Thomas with Mohawk has got some sweet boats too, however I’ve never owned a Mohawk, however I’ve used them, but they were around 20 years old or as it seemed, and they weren’t up to par for floating anyways. I’m kinda looking for something thats snappy but stable.

Buffalo, they are same old durable buffalo, from the inheritance of the Blue hole mold they have dominated in the South for awesome canoes. I am most familiar with theses and how they handle, I feel as if they are a little slow in the 16’’ range, I’m coming from a kayak, if it doesn’t have some whip, I may not be interested.

Mad River/Dagger, has made a name for themselves, newer to the canoe building, I don’t really know much about them or their models.

If you have any review or recommendations, or have demoed any of the following brands, I’m ready to see what you have to say. Thoughts, opinions, improvements and overall review of the boat

Thanks for your suggestions-----> sjotime

TBC
Commercial Member
Name: Louis Shaw

Re: Two Brother, Mohawk, Buffalo, Mad River,-Best tandem out Go!

Post by TBC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:53 pm

If you ever want to demo an Arkota you're welcome to take it to your favorite river. -Louis
Image Its a thumbs up not the bird. :D
Last edited by TBC on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnick4
Name: gary

Post by gnick4 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:25 am

I have the Arkota and it is a great boat. You can't go wrong with it and TBC is great to work with as well as being a local company. :clap:

Randy Dodson

Post by Randy Dodson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Do you want something snappy and fast turning or something faster (speed-wise) than a Buffalo?
Parrot Head Paddler

arfish
Name: T.J.

Post by arfish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:57 pm

There is some good info on choosing a tandem canoe here:
http://forums.arkansascanoeclub.com/vie ... =3&t=15133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I could go out and buy any tandem canoe I wanted, I would look long and hard at a Nova Craft Prospector 17' in RX.

If I was wanting a canoe I could turn around and solo, I'd look pretty hard at the TBC Arkota. But if your looking for a canoe strictly for tandem use, and want something pretty fast, I would look for a 17 foot canoe.

I have a Wenonah Sprit II, and its a great boat, tracks well, doesn't turn as well as a Buffalo, but you can load up tons of gear in it, which is what I wanted.

Minna Ulmer
Name: minna ulmer

Post by Minna Ulmer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Does Two Brothers make a solo 14 that can handle class II w plus camping gear? Right now Im lookin at Wenonah Argosy an Bell Yellowstone. Im told Bell can handle classIII even. Minna

TBC
Commercial Member
Name: Louis Shaw

Post by TBC » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:42 am

Minna Ulmer wrote:Does Two Brothers make a solo 14 that can handle class II w plus camping gear? Right now Im lookin at Wenonah Argosy an Bell Yellowstone. Im told Bell can handle classIII even. Minna
We currently don't have a dedicated solo canoe. Thanks for keeping us in mind! -Louis

Al Donaldson

Post by Al Donaldson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Minna:

On the other hand, either of the TBC models make doggone good solo boats, especially if the prospective paddler is willing to paddle primarily from a kneeling position and use just a bit of "Canadian Style" paddling (go see any Bill Mason video...)

I have both an Arkota modified for solo and a pair of the Brightwaters similarly set up. They work well for me, but then I don't mind (in fact, I insist on paddling) a wide boat.

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Social Media