Buffalo trip March 25 27?

Recreational and touring boaters
Clif

Buffalo trip March 25 27?

Post by Clif » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:19 am

This is Richard's jurisdiction. I am gonna try, tho. Optimal full moon is the weekend before this. But that weekend is out for me. This is the tail of our spring break. Here is where the pictures will be posted after the trip. Bring your camera.

River is getting low. We may below Hwy 65 area. Watching weather and level closely this week
Updates will be posted here.

WHO IS GOING:

-----------------------

GENERAL INFORMATION:
By now you know the drill. Arriving Friday is optional. We shuttle Saturday morning and do most of the paddling on Saturday. We try to be off the river and headed home by noon on Sunday. Sitting around a campfire Friday and Saturday nights and enjoying each others company has become a tradition.

Questions and suggestions are welcome. You may post them here or email Clif at clifandrus@yahoo.com

Some things you need to know. We have never had a problem but just so everyone knows on the front end:
1. For liability purposes this is not an ACC/Ozark Society sponsored activity. You and only you are responsible for your own actions.
2. This is a family friendly float. Children are welcome.
3. Alcohol is not forbidden but drunkeness and abusive conduct is.
4. If you use "fowl" language or need to smoke, please do so away from the group.
5. Treat others as you would have them treat you. Maybe even nicer.

We have been doing these trips since Oct 2007. In that time we have never had a problem. Quite the contrary. On the floats so far, we have been impressed with how well everyone has adhered to #5. That is one reason we keep going back.

If you have never been, we look forward to meeting you on the river.

FOOD:
Because of the various arrival and departure times of participants the simplest approach to meals is for each person to be responsible for his/her own. That does not preclude participants from getting together and pooling efforts. It also does not preclude pot lucks. So if you want to get with others to plan meals thats good. If we decide to pot luck a meal or two that is fine as well. But the responsibility lies first with the individual.

Breakfasts and Suppers will be at camp. We will stop for lunch on the river. BYO. Nothing is provided.

This has worked well so far and creates the least hassle. And we can gather around the campfire after dinner. Campfires have been great.

If need be, we will have a kitchen tent set up with tables for food preparation.

GEAR:
Each person is responsible for providing their own food and gear appropriate for the weather and water conditions. If you are just getting into canoe/kayak camping and are lacking some items please let us know. So far no one has been turned away because of lack of gear.

State Laws
15 MPH speed limits within the park are strictly enforced.
A PFD is required for each person. It must be worn by those under the age of 13.
The use of glass containers is prohibited within 100 feet the river.
Containers used for transporting food and beverages must be properly sealed.
When out of the cooler, beverages must be in a holder that floats or prevents the beverage from sinking.
A mesh container must be attached to the vessel suitable for collecting trash that can be securely closed.
All refuse, waste and trash must be transported to a place where they must be safely and lawfully disposed.
Last edited by Clif on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
You sure this is on the right channel?

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Re: Buffalo trip March 25 27?

Post by AR-Nimrod » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 am

Clif,

I am 95% sure that Clan Crawford will be up for this. I got 2 women folk chompin at the bit to get on the river and do some camping.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

texasannie52
Name: Ann Carr

Post by texasannie52 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:40 am

:clap: Since I've never been on the Buffalo - this sounds like an ideal float to me, so count me in providing the White River doesn't get so high I can't get outta of St. Charles. I'm so excited!
TexasAnnie aka Annie Carr[/img][/img]

Rodger K

Post by Rodger K » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Clif, ..right now i can give you a definite "maybe"...sure sounds good & if it works out that i can, i will... :clap:

Shark Attack

Post by Shark Attack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:17 pm

U betcha :clap:
Wes

Wildwood
Name: Jan Johnson

Post by Wildwood » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Clif,
I think I can, I think I can. And if I can, I'll be there.

Just got back from Big Piney, MO. It rose about 6' last night at Boiling Springs. Was rockin' today!

:poke: Stay on top of the water!

Jan
Jan Johnson

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave intending to arrive safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a paddle in your hands, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

texasannie52
Name: Ann Carr

Post by texasannie52 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:41 pm

My heart wants to be on the water and so does my body - any more updates on where and when to meet? I'm leaving St. Charles on the 25th and can another kayak or canoe with me if anyone needs a ride... txann2007@aol.com or 435-633-3685.
TexasAnnie aka Annie Carr[/img][/img]

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Clif, Thanks for posting this. Count me in.
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Wildwood
Name: Jan Johnson

Post by Wildwood » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:33 pm

I will bring an extra kayak & paddle, too. I'm looking forward to seeing old & new friends. Are we gonna base camp or what? I've never camped out of my kayak. :chicken: I suppose it's time to give it a try. (All tips appreciated. Well, most, anyway . . .)
Jan Johnson

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave intending to arrive safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a paddle in your hands, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

gnick4
Name: gary

Post by gnick4 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:51 am

Hey Jan, how have you been? I think Zach and I will try to make this trip. I am off most of that week and the weekend before. If you want to float anywhere before that weekend give me a shout. Have to install a new roof rack on the truck before but that should only take a day....Hopefully.... :D

MikkiW
Name: Mikki White

Post by MikkiW » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:14 pm

"By now you know the Drill" ????
I am interested in joining you for the paddle but I do not know the drill. I am like Jan. Is this base camping or camping on gravel bars from your boat. Everything else in the instructions is clear. Thanks, Mikki
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr Theodor Seuss

It is harder to conceal ignorance than to acquire knowledge. Arnold Glasgow

Clif

Post by Clif » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Copied this from our trips last year. Answer to the canoe or car camping is...whatever the majoriety want. Also depends on which section we do. Trend is to do as far upstream as water allows because the upper reaches do not stay good levels as often. Hopefully we can look at plans for which section the weekend before.

I would favor the Hwy 7 area. Erbie?, Pruitt? and these may work better at the campgrounds instead of boat camping. If we do just boat camp and hit a gravel bar, sometimes there are folks willing to take a bit of gear for those with limited space.

Also trips are usually set where any that want to daytrip only... or continue to their vehicles to car camp, can easily do so.

We can focus on this more as it gets closer. I wanted to give all a chance to plan ahead with the early post. Make sense?

MikkiW
Name: Mikki White

Post by MikkiW » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 am

Yes, Thanks for your reply and the information.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr Theodor Seuss

It is harder to conceal ignorance than to acquire knowledge. Arnold Glasgow

Clif

Post by Clif » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:55 am

Any level predictions? Any section suggestions?
I may be out of touch Mon to Wed. With no good rain dose we may be on the middle river somewhere? Hwy 7 down. I don't know.. some of you experts holler up here.

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Clif,

We're game for whatever section(s) have good water. If we boat camp, we may need to hit one of the canoeist up to haul an 18 lb. item for us. Portable power supply for wife's Sleep Apnea machine. I'm trying to figure out a way to haul it in one of the yaks without serious trim issues.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Social Media