mexico this winter?

Open Discussion

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

mexico this winter?

Post by kayakmamma » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:02 am

I would like to put together a trip or go with a group going down. Anyone?
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

FarPastGone
Name: Matt

Re: mexico this winter?

Post by FarPastGone » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:31 pm

I have been down their twice, last year I was able to actually go down there for two weeks, but it doesn't look like I will be going down this year. From the sounds of it, a number of people that go down there regularly are not gonna be making it down this year (maybe a combination of economic problems, fear created by the media over drug violence, and swine flu). It is a great trip though because there is tons of scenic camping, cheap amazing food, Mexican beer, temperatures are generally in the 70-80s, and so on and so on. Rivers down there are uniquely different then anything you are going to find in the US as well.

If you are willing to pay and don't know a lot of paddlers then you could check out Ben Kvanli's trips down there. He is a Texas local so he has some hook-ups down there, plus his trips down there generally are big, so shouldn't be to much.

http://www.kayakinstruction.org/Kayak_I ... /Home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leland Davis also runs trips down there that are instruction based, but they are more pricey. Then again you are getting instruction from a SE legend of sorts.

http://www.brushymountainpublishing.com ... linic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy hunting!

-Matt

JTarver

Post by JTarver » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:16 pm

Hey Matt..wish I could go down there this year..but can't. I do however, plan on going down next year..as a graduation gift to myself. I am due to be out of here in spring..(hopefully) and will be making plans to head down to run the micos and el salto. You're welcome to jointhen if you can, I'd love some company.
:D
Peace,
Joe
And all this life we've glorified
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
Don't think i don't know sympathy
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

FarPastGone
Name: Matt

Post by FarPastGone » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Just keep me in the loop dude, I would love to get down there next year if at all possible, it is a really great trip because it can be done so cheap. When I lived in San Marcos, TX it took around 14 hours to get down to the Ciudad Valles area (Micos/Salto area), so I bet it takes a full 24 or so to get down there from Arkansas. There are a lot of other great runs in the area besides Micos and Salto; Ojo Frio, Gallenas, Tampaon (class III, but world class scenery), Minas Viejas, San Nicholas, etc.. Plus the Verde and Santa Maria are in the area if you want to drive out to some extremely remote canyons in the middle of nowhere in Mexico that have challenging whitewater and world class portages.

Just gotta make sure you have the title for the vehicle you take down there. Beyond that there are more regions in the country that have awesome whitewater, like Vera Cruz, hoping to get down there at some point in my life.

-Matt

JTarver

Post by JTarver » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:33 pm

I will definately keep you up to speed on it Matt. I've never been, but have been dying to go for over a year now. I hadn't planned on driving the entire way. I haven't worked out all the logistics yet, but I still have some time.

I definately want to hit the Cuidad area ( for the micos and salto ) but after that I'm game for whatever else is within reach. I plan on spending at least a week there..two if I can wrangle it. Just have to wait and see.
Joe
And all this life we've glorified
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
Don't think i don't know sympathy
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

jackatspa
Name: Jack

Post by jackatspa » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:30 pm

The micos!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jackatspa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:23 pm

I've been down twice, and paddled the Micos quite a few times, also El Salto, the Tampaon, Oho Frio, and the Pilon (Monterray area). Thanks for all the good info.
Like you, I would like to see and paddle the Vera Cruz area. Leland Davis's trip sounds great, but like you said, is expensive. I've been down there with Ben Kvanli, but am hoping to go with an informal group instead.
This are fun rivers, and the warm weather and water are so nice.
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Social Media