Carry Water for multi-day trip on Buffalo?

Open Discussion

AndyMan
Name: Andreas Hansen

Carry Water for multi-day trip on Buffalo?

Post by AndyMan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Planning on doing a longer trip down the Buffalo River this year. Do I have to carry all my drinking water or is a new water filter enough to keep me healthy?

Thanks -

Tim Eubanks

Re: Carry Water for multi-day trip on Buffalo?

Post by Tim Eubanks » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:56 pm

We used a Sawyer filter from WM that worked will for 7 guys over 2 nights, 3 days in June and it was HOT. We filtered water every time we stopped. Don't have specs with me but it had a 500 ml bladder that we filled then rolled down/pressed through filter. No issues. River had a good flow and was really clear. My plan had been to take a 6 gallon container but fortunately was talked into the filter.

So, yes, get the filter for about $20. Will save lots of weight in boat. Happy filtering

BEubanks
Name: Byron Eubanks

Post by BEubanks » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:09 am

It was a Sawyer filter. I'd go for a larger filter and pouch next time. We used a mini. Several sizes available.

AndyMan
Name: Andreas Hansen

Post by AndyMan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks for pointing me towards the Sawyer filters. While doing my research, I found that they get very good reviews and are relatively inexpensive.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Filters get bacteria and larger "bugs", but no filter can remove viruses. Although rare, it is easy to eliminate worry about those too with a very light dose of chlorox added to the filtered water. (google it to find proper dilution ratios).

Also, some recent studies suggest that hand washing around camp especially after using the bathroom and before preparing food it equal to or even more important than treating your water. It's not an either-or thing, do both!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

BEubanks
Name: Byron Eubanks

Post by BEubanks » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 am

Sawyer has a product they claims handles viruses, too, even heavy metals. I haven't used them, but their S2 and S3 foam filters are advertised to handle viruses. https://sawyer.com/products/select-filter-and-purifier/

Saltsman

Post by Saltsman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:51 am

Cowper wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:13 pm
Filters get bacteria and larger "bugs", but no filter can remove viruses. Although rare, it is easy to eliminate worry about those too with a very light dose of chlorox added to the filtered water. (google it to find proper dilution ratios).

Also, some recent studies suggest that hand washing around camp especially after using the bathroom and before preparing food it equal to or even more important than treating your water. It's not an either-or thing, do both!
You're so right, Cowper. You have to do both. I'm so amused when I see people worry about treating their water, yet not paying attention to basic hygene. Not talking about anyone here btw, I've seen this happen with my own eyes.
I'm convinced ExpressVPN is the best on the market.

Social Media