Hikes

Open Discussion

Butch Crain

Hikes

Post by Butch Crain » Mon May 22, 2017 7:56 pm

hope to hike Athens/Big Fork to Brush Heap vista & Hemmed-In Hollow in next few weeks and camp overnight at both locations before doubling back out

is there any reason NOT to take my 100 lb Pyrenees/Border Collie mix?

and are there any shouldn't miss day hikes between the two?

Jim Krueger

Re: Hikes

Post by Jim Krueger » Mon May 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Butch,

Before you go hiking in either area, it might be the easiest thing to inquire with the district ranger office to make certain it will be alright or not to have a dog with you along on the trail. I am fairly certain there are probably more restrictions on dogs up in the Buffalo area than down in the Ouachitas but I am not much of a hiker anymore and don't know how things stand presently.
Back in the mid-nineties, I made quite a few solo hikes in the Ouachitas. Several mountains in the state have just such an iconic look from afar, that I was drawn to them, Brush Heap Mountain, Mt. Nebo , Tall Peak, Forked Mountain, Blaylock Mountain, etc. I have only hiked the Athens-Bigfork trail partially, and in segments. My first trip on that trail was up to Brush Heap from the forest service road trailhead between Camp Albert and Shady Lake. Later I hiked from the southernmost trailhead up over Big Tom Mountain, then diverted back east along the Viles Branch horse trail to the Little Missouri River. And the third section was the shortest, from the north, up to Spirit Rock Vista. I have fond memories of those hikes.
I have only hiked in to Hemmed In Hollow a few times, and always, from the river as we were floating the river and just made that hike as a side-trip. Have fun and do post a trip report .

Best Regards
Jim

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:58 am

Jim was right, there are a lot more restriction in a National Park then a National Forest. Dogs are only allowed on a lease in established campgrounds Tyler's Bend, Steele Creek, Kyle's Landing, etc). They are not allowed on any trail or any part of the backcountry. With that said, I took my dog on every down river overnight canoeing trip I ever did on the Buffalo. However, we never left the gravel bars.

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

mgood

Post by mgood » Tue May 23, 2017 6:53 pm

Social Media