Need Advice for Week of Rivers

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

RobB
Name: Rob Bailey

Need Advice for Week of Rivers

Post by RobB » Mon May 30, 2016 7:45 pm

I know the Nantahela is cold. My wife will be coming and we'll do some trips on our LL Deuce Coupe tandem SOT. It's always a very wet ride! I've got gear, but she has none. (And I'm reluctant to buy much since she's not sure she wants to get into WW kayaking.) What do ya'll advise we get for her to wear so that she enjoys the time?

kru1
Name: Kristian

Re: Need Advice for Week of Rivers

Post by kru1 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:26 am

Pretty sure you can rent wet suits from Nantahala Outdoor Center for pretty cheap.

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Tue May 31, 2016 11:24 am

What kru posted is correct. Rent wetsuits and splash jackets from NOC, then after the run, check out the store for a few layers to add to the neoprene. I find having a fleece top a really nice addition to a farmer john along with a splash top or dry top to cover the fleece. Nights especially if you are camping outside tend to be cool in the mountains around the Nanty and that fleece top works great around camp or back home setting in the stands for a winter football game etc etc.

another plus is the Nanty has plenty of places to stop and warm up. One of my favorites is the pizza joint about half way or so down the run.

I have many years of floating the Nanty since I grew up in the area. In july it is pretty common to suit up at the put in and be sweating bullets getting down to the waters edge. Soon as I get splashed big time just around the corner from the putin, I am glad to have the extra layers.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

RobB
Name: Rob Bailey

Post by RobB » Tue May 31, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks for the advice. I just called NOC, and they rent full wetsuits for $7/day (no farmer johns). Or, splash gear if you want. On a SOT, she'll probably want the full wet suit, especially if we go for a swim. Normally they rent by the day, but I was told that since I belong to the CCC, they could let me rent for 5-6 days straight so I don't have to pick up and drop off every day.

Of course, if there's anyone out there who'd like to loan their farmer johns and a splash top, we're open to that too!

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:36 am

Don't forget the Tuckaseegee for some warmer water fun as well. We had a blast there last year.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

Social Media