Fayetteville Kayak Park

Open Discussion

paddledog

Fayetteville Kayak Park

Post by paddledog » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:14 am

Be sure to attend the NWA meeting on the 25th of this month. I will be giving a presentation on the new Fayetteville Kayak Park.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ejbarton
Name: Eli Barton

Re: Fayetteville Kayak Park

Post by ejbarton » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:51 pm

I really like the way those three words go together.

jdryden78
Name: John

Post by jdryden78 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Just wish bentonville would get on that bandwagon. ..even if it meant artificial.

BlueHoleArkansas

Post by BlueHoleArkansas » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:55 am

If anybody wants to post any cliff notes from the northwest chapter meeting last night on this subject. That would be awesome. I'm dying to know.
Thanks

mgood

Post by mgood » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Spill.

jdryden78
Name: John

Post by jdryden78 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Dan gave a good run down on fb.

mgood

Post by mgood » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:20 pm

For the benefit of the thousands of people not on facebook (including myself), spill. A copy and paste would do nicely. Thanks.

rouble
ACC Webmaster
Name: Chris

Post by rouble » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:56 pm

Here's a copy of what was on Facebook.
Monday night at the Arkansas Canoe Club meeting we were introduced to a new idea for a river/whitewater park in south Fayetteville. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fayet ... 69fcb4c8cf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Located between the White River Park baseball to the north and Combs Park to the south, the City of Fayetteville already owns the land and the buildings. Bike trails are already scheduled to be built in this area connecting it to the Razorback Greenway.
Our friends from TSP Environmental, http://tspenvironmental.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Recreation Engineering and Planning (REP), http://www.repwaterparks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( these are the two companies responsible for the siloamspringskayakpark.com ), have already done a preliminary walk through of the site and and from what I understand, they see several similarities to the Argo Cascades located in Ann Arbor, MI. http://www.cityparksalliance.org/why-ur ... o-cascades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So far this is just an idea. No plans have been drawn up and no money has been spent. I know this is going to be brought up at the ACC Board Meeting this weekend and I wanted members to be able to see some photos of the site and have the links above to do their own research.
I believe with the revitalization going on in South Fayetteville (SoFay?) the addition of this... recreation corridor/park would only enhance the area and would be a yearlong asset to our beautiful community.
...also. Steve Runnels is my hero!

Ben Rodda
Name: Ben Rodda

Post by Ben Rodda » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Hey Folks,

I think that many people should be curious about this topic.

I took a look at the site and it seems to me that the best gauge I could find for this river is located is here;

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/inventor ... o=07048550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it true that we are talking about something like 130-204 CFS? Or am I off?

If this site has an average flow of 150 CFS with its highest average being 220, perhaps we should call this a stream bed restoration or beautification project rather than a "Kayak Park". After looking at the pictures of the beautiful location, cool looking buildings nearby it would be a super cool nature preserve or something like that. But not a "kayak park"

If we are looking to build a kayak park then I would think that we need to find a stream bed which has an average of at least 350 CFS. Is there anyting in NWA with a flow close to that? Perhaps behind beaver dam, off the top of my head.

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:26 am

The fact of life is that the dam at Pump Springs Rd. is going to come out. It is old and failing. If the stream bed is going to be restored, why not restore it in a way that when the flows are correct WW waves are created.

Ben Rodda wrote: If we are looking to build a kayak park then I would think that we need to find a stream bed which has an average of at least 350 CFS. Is there anyting in NWA with a flow close to that? Perhaps behind beaver dam, off the top of my head.

There is a little place outside of Siloam Springs.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:51 pm

Steve-Thanks for all of your hard work on yet another whitewater park! If it happens, it'll be 5 minutes from my house. -M- :clap:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:55 pm

As far as flow goes, since there's power on site, pumping a couple of hundred cfs from the bottom pool to the top pool using readily available pumps is not out of the question. :twocents:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Ben Rodda
Name: Ben Rodda

Post by Ben Rodda » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:20 am

The fact of life is that the dam at Pump Springs Rd. is going to come out. It is old and failing. If the stream bed is going to be restored, why not restore it in a way that when the flows are correct WW waves are created.
From what I see the location rarely has a flow greater than 300 CFS. And hauling carbon based pumps in to create an artificial flow seems odd to me.

Another approach would be to try to find a location which has consistent flow. This kind of location might allow for more than flat spins. I mean unless someone around has a money tree, how about the energy be put towards something which might be more enjoyable.

Additionally it may suit us to find another contractor which would build us features that allow us to do more than flat spins.

Fishers Ford had alot of potential, alas we got a nice wave which allows for flat spins.

While the guys at REP are super nice and all, historically they are not good at building dynamic features. They are very good at building pretty things that are strong. But not dynamic.

Andrew C
Name: Andrew Callaway

Post by Andrew C » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:35 pm

So I have been wondering if the plans for this are going anywhere? I have not seen or heard any talk about the kayak park idea, and was wondering. :crossed:

Social Media