Texas paddler looking for info

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

Bobean
Name: Bob

Texas paddler looking for info

Post by Bobean » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:10 pm

I live in Houston and generally I drive about 3 hours to San Marcos to paddle as we have no whitewater here. It's not much further to get to the southwest area or Arkansas and it looks like there's some decent water there. I've come up before to fly fish the little mo and that area is really beautiful.

If like to try and get up there around New Years to paddle some 2 or 3 water. Any suggestions and are there any groups that run that water regularly that I could hook up with for some local knowledge?

Also, water temps? Is a semi dry top and wetsuit pants enough? I'm spoiled that our water is still 72.

I'm also watching to see if the falls race will fall into that weekend. I'd enjoy watching that too

Thanks

orange_otter
Name: orange_otter

Re: Texas paddler looking for info

Post by orange_otter » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:30 pm

I am nearly always ready to do class II/III. If there is water, I go somewhere. The water in the Little Mo is cold this time of year. cold weather precautions are the word. rule i go by is if the water temp and air temp are less than 120 added then hypothermia is a threat. that is almost always the case even into April.I am on facebook-rodger talley- and you can get good info from the "Arkansas whitewater Coalition" FB page. there is a great bunch of folks in the "Arkansas canoe club- Arklatex chapter" on FB too. b n touch.....have boat, will float.

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:05 pm

I'm in DFW and paddle Arkansas regularly. The weekend of New Years is a very good chance for the Falls race on the Tot. Also, it is predicted to be cold. It was below freezing last year at the race. Dry suits are almost always needed unless you have a good farmer john wetsuit and a good dry top. It's crazy warm this weekend but that won't last. Arkansas in the winter the water is cold. I will be at the race or someplace next weekend most likely. The Tot is the closest Arkansas run to us in Texas. Also some great places in Oklahoma. There are a couple regular Houston paddlers that come out to the Tot when they can. I can never remember their names but they are younger probably 20's, 2 guys and a girl. I've also seen them on the Paluxy river near Fort Worth.

Bobean
Name: Bob

Post by Bobean » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm hoping the race will be next weekend also. I'm off and I'd really like to watch it and get a bit of winter. Here in Houston we just don't get any winter.
I need to find out who those Houston guys are.

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:08 pm

there is a good group WW paddlers in Houston. Get with Kelly at Bayou City Outdoors if you haven't already looked them up. They do a lot of flatwater stuff but several of them are long time whitewater paddlers.

Social Media