Winding Stairs hike west of Mena AR

Open Discussion

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Winding Stairs hike west of Mena AR

Post by okieboater » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:31 am

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-r ... 71757.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this link works.

A good review of hiking on Winding Stairs trail

6 days in Winding Stair National Recreation Area and Ouchita trail is the title of the post.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

hop
Name: Daryl Hopper

Re: Winding Stairs hike west of Mena AR

Post by hop » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:57 am

Dave, I've hiked this, from Talimena state park, to the Pashubbe trailhead...a little over 34 miles. But I did it in several day hikes. Mostly just out and back at different access points on the trail, and a few where I parked a car, and got dropped off at other points on the trail. It's really a beautiful trail. I really want to do the piece from Pashubbe to Queen Wilhelmina this fall, but it's going to have to be overnight, as it goes through the Kiamichi Wilderness area, with no middle access point.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:28 pm

When I moved here from North GA back in the 70's we went to the Tulsa Library and looked at maps of the many water sheds and hiking areas of the Great State of Arkansas. That area along the drive was one we found and hiked a lot. Just beautiful country. Many of those hikes start on the drive and go down hill with the Sunday morning hike out being kinda hard on the legs.

Queen Wilhelmina state parks is still one of my spots to visit on the way to or from the Cossatot. The Park's buffet meals are awesome and if a tent spot is open it is a great spot to spend the night with views that are worth the time to set in a chair and enjoy.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

hop
Name: Daryl Hopper

Post by hop » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:03 pm

I've had the Sunday brunch a couple of times at the lodge. I haven't been there since they've reopened. I need to try and do that soon, I think. Never camped there though.

wally

Post by wally » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:38 pm

i hiked this section several years ago and remember the Kiamichi wilderness the most. It was a scenic area. i drove the talimena scenic drive this week and stayed at Queen Wilhelmena Lodge. The lodge is so comfortable after the renovation it is worth the drive to enjoy the comfort; and the price of the rooms and the meals are reasonable.
If you get to Talihena be sure to stop at the diner and soda shop st the intersection of 88 and 63. Good hamburgers and delicious old fashioned malts.
White Tundra with a Green Mohawk on top.

Social Media