Dry Suit option

Paddling gear and boat review

Richard

Dry Suit option

Post by Richard » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:12 pm

Why would this not work as a dry suit. I paddle Class I water.

http://www.keepshooting.com/multifabs-s ... =Springbot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Owl

Re: Dry Suit option

Post by Owl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:12 pm

It's polyurethane coated nylon. With any kind of activity it'd be a sauna suit.

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:09 am

Like paddling in a trash bag........
No air exchange (breathability).....
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:14 am

Back in the day when dry suits first came out, I purchased one of the coated fabric ones from Stolhquist. This thing is bomber construction. First trip was a mild winter day down Big Piney in a kayak. Stopped at Surfing ledge and played. Went to shore and poured out at least a pint of sweat from each ankle. This was many years ago, but I still remember my surprise at seeing all that water come out. These things will keep you dry from outside water but sweat will load up your layers. In any dry suit, inside layers should be wool or fleece for best insulation as layers will get wet if you paddle even semi hard. For sure, even in winter time, drink a lot of water and stay hydrated no matter what protection you wear.

The gore tex dry suits are much better. I have had a couple Kokatats over the years and the last one is pretty good. My experience is none of them get rid of sweat as much as they advertise. But GoreTex is the best I have used. To buy a new one be prepared to spend a lot of money. On the other hand, my kokatat gore tex dry suit with fabric booties gives me reasonable comfort floating in winter time conditions. I wear a fleece bunny suit with extra layers up top and thick wool sox. The booties and pee zipper options are worth the money I think. I never had warm feet in the ankle latex units, but have in the booties. Just size up your paddle shoes and use thick wool sox. Stripping down to take a leak in dry suit conditions is an experience most of us will not be happy doing. Check the condition and I see good bargains on used kokatat gore tex all the time.

Lots of other materials out there and I have tried a few. For me, the kokatat gore tex is the best I have found. Just suck it up and save the money till you can buy one. I have seen a lot of kokatat dry suits that commercial guides and instructors have used hard for many years. They still work. My kokotat is several years old. I recently washed it with approved cleaner and did the renew treatment in the dryer. Put on new neck and ankle latex seals and it looks and feels like new.

For what it is worth and my opinion. Lots of opinions out there on dry suits. :myday"
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Shark Attack

Post by Shark Attack » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Richard, from the time we've spent together I think the "Frog Tog" rain suit outfits will fit your needs just fine. They don't cost that much & are breathable. :twocents:
Wes

Winterborn
Name: Brian Harvey

Post by Winterborn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:20 pm

For those who are larger, take a look at O.S. Systems. I've spoken with several folks across the country I know and they all give very good reviews. I'm in the process of buying mine before fall.

Some manufacturers do minor customizations such as arm, leg, and sometimes torso. These can be fully customizable.

http://ossystems.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Social Media