Law on the Mulberry

Open Discussion
Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Law on the Mulberry

Post by Cowper » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:00 am

For those who want to print their own copy. I've used a red font to emphasize a number of key points.
Attachments
Litter Law - working.pdf
(9.06 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:34 am

FWIW I could no longer stand it and did reach out to Todd Callaway yesterday. I was quite candid so I may have to start paddling incognito lest disgruntled POPO type fellers seek out retaliatory violations. :poke2: :ROFL: Guys and gals, there is clearly room for improvement with regard to this situation, but merely complaining on FB and the ACC message board won't accomplish anything. If it's your earnest belief that the agency is more interested in keeping the general public barefoot and pregnant so they can milk it for fines put your money where your mouth is. Contact the head of enforcement and tell him that (respectfully and with specific examples, and if possible with an idea or two on how to make it better), don't just keep preaching to the choir on line. If only a couple of people complain the authorities can just chalk it up to, well, just one or two people complaining.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:46 am

BTW, if you decide to speak up you can email todd.callaway@agfc.ar.gov. If you prefer an old fashioned phone call dial 501-223-6300 or 800-364-4263 and ask for him.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Ryan Center
Name: ozarkpaddler

Post by Ryan Center » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:51 am

Luke, I have been making contact with the AGFC since Monday night. I will post how this goes later.
I'm not opposed of them doing their jobs by no means, I would just like to see a better way for the public to be informed. People who don't fish and wouldn't be reading a fish regulations book, wouldn't have anyway of knowing what the laws are.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:26 am

Ryan Center wrote:Luke, I have been making contact with the AGFC since Monday night. I will post how this goes later.
I'm not opposed of them doing their jobs by no means, I would just like to see a better way for the public to be informed. People who don't fish and wouldn't be reading a fish regulations book, wouldn't have anyway of knowing what the laws are.
I know Ryan, and thank you for being one of those willing to have skin in the game by reaching out in hopes of improving the situation. Eyewitness accounts are always more credible. I did get your emails.
You come too.
Robert Frost

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:25 pm

From the actual law
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-04-29-08-53-24.png
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Ryan Center

Post by Ryan Center » Mon May 04, 2015 5:35 pm

Here was my reply via email.

"Our purpose, along with the U.S. Forest Service was to observe any violations and deal with the violations as necessary on the Mulberry River.

Signs as well as our usual publications that have been available for many years on the boating laws and are widely available in print and digital media.

These are not new laws and have been in effect for several years. If I am not mistaken the canoe clubs were very supportive and pursued this legislation when it was introduced. The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission along with the U.S. Forest Service cooperatively continues to enforce the laws that protect the beauty and safety on the rivers as we have for many years.

Concerning your allegation of “profiling”. That particular individual was loaned PFD’s so that he could continue his float. In order to loan him the life jackets that we had available at that time, he was required to verify his identity for the purpose of a citation for no Personal Flotation Device and to ensure that we would get the PFD’s returned. We do not profile anyone at any time.

Clyde Shepard

Captain / Law Enforcement / District A-2

E: cshepard@agfc.state.ar.us M: (479) 806-4947

Arkansas Game and Fish Commission

Ft. Smith Regional Office

8000 Taylor Avenue

Fort Smith, AR 72916

P: 877-478-1043 I F: (479) 478 - 1054

http://www.agfc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

My reply,

"I'm all for you doing what you guys have to do about enforcing the law, I just hate that the general public that doesn't know how to access the laws, keep them from getting fines for lack of knowledge. I like how when I go fishing at popular fishing areas like boat ramps, there is signs that state the regulations for that particular fishing area. I myself, do know how to look at particular areas I'm fishing at in the regulations book, to research before hand to keep from breaking the law.

I know that signs at all river access points would be a costly task, but it would be great if there was something similar to that at the most popular public access points on our most used rivers.
Recreational canoeing and kayaking is getting more and more popular and a lot of people don't know they are breaking the law. When I see someone floating, and I see them doing something wrong, like not having a floating device on their drinks, not having a container for their trash, or a PFD, I always inform them. There is the occasional person that wants to be a jerk and think I'm just a moron and for that, I hope you find them, but there are several that say, "I had no idea."
I know that the rental companies are pretty good about informing their renters, but the people who just go and buy a boat and love going to the river to paddle, just don't know where to look these laws up.

And wouldn't it be better to have the law officials at the put ins instead of way down river giving them time to litter our waterways? This is where it seems to be more of a revenue thing to me versus trying to keep our rivers clean.
As far as my "profiling" comment, that was just my opinion and I hope that wasn't the case, but I didn't see anyone else have to get out and get searched.

Please don't think I'm trying to be offensive on this, just trying to voice my opinion.
Thanks for replying to my email.
If there is something I can do to help, I would love to try.
Thanks,
Ryan Center"

panicman

Post by panicman » Tue May 05, 2015 8:40 am

Ryan, You better be ready for that full cavity search next time your up there. :grin:

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Tue May 05, 2015 8:54 am

panicman wrote:Ryan, You better be ready for that full cavity search next time your up there. :grin:
Why do you think he started all this? :poke2: :ROFL:
You come too.
Robert Frost

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Tue May 05, 2015 10:27 am

Been boating with Ryan for many years.

If the Game and Fish gents want to cavity search Ryan,
My take is they better have a bunch of Arkie Agents on hand plus a couple Okie rodeo team ropers to hog tie him first.

:twocents:
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Ryan Center

Post by Ryan Center » Tue May 05, 2015 10:20 pm

Oh Gawd!

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Wed May 06, 2015 5:31 am

Better bring a ladder and a lunch..........
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boba
ACC Conservation

Post by boba » Fri May 08, 2015 1:39 pm

One quick question. How about rafts? Has anyone been cited for violations while in a raft? the law seems to apply only to those craft that are eaisly swamped, tipped, rolled etc.
Bob Allen, ACC member since ~1984

http://ozarker.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iYak

Post by iYak » Fri May 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Well put, Ryan.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sat May 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Bob,
I think the answer to your question lies in the discretion of the individual officer, since rafts are not specifically mentioned. If the officer chooses to cite you, then you'd have to take it to court or at least discuss it with higher ups on Monday.

I would think any lawyer worth his/her salt, should be able to make a pretty good case that your 14' raft is LESS susceptible to tipping, swamping, or rolling than my 12' jon boat.

I don't care for the fact that they let you get on the river with glass instead of stopping and educating you at the put in. Like Bob, I also find mesh bags in the river. But I do have to admit, before this law was passed, I could go to the Spring River on a weekend, and fill a tandem canoe to the gunwales with beer cans and other trash, without even trying too hard. There's still more trash than there should be, but it is not as bad now as it used to be. So to some degree, I have to admit the law is having a positive effect.

I've forwarded links to a friend in AGFC to get the web pages and guidebooks at least up to date with the current law, and suggested that the mesh bags (which summarize the law) also be updated once existing supplies are depleted.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Social Media