Input requested: Family floats article

Open Discussion

Tim Eubanks

Input requested: Family floats article

Post by Tim Eubanks » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I've been "volunteered" to put together an article for an upcoming edition of Arkansas Wild magazine. This edition will focus on family-friendly recreation in the state, not just hunting and fishing. They are interested in less well-known streams (not the Buffalo and Spring) and other bodies of water that offer outings for every skill and interest level.

Seems like mining the resources here will be quicker than googling everything. Would like to have access points and brief descriptions. Planning to include a link to AGFC's site of water trail info, so don't need those.

Cheers

kru1
Name: Kristian

Re: Input requested: Family floats article

Post by kru1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:44 am

Illinois, Chamber Springs to the Ford or the Ford to Hwy 59 (Arkansas 59 Canoe and Rafting)
Kings River, Rockhouse to Trigger Gap (Kings River Outfitters)
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

nathan richard
Name: nathan

Post by nathan richard » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:03 am

The Saline River in Saline County - http://www.salinerivercanoe.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not really any campgrounds close by, but several access points and multiple forks of the river make for a lot of different options. Good fishing too.

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks! Also if you have some good photos of trips, especially with kids, email me at timeubanks@yahoo.com.

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:00 pm

I avoid those sections.

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

SteveGabbard
Name: Steve Gabbard

Post by SteveGabbard » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:26 pm

Ouachita

canoe

Post by canoe » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:15 pm

Big Piney

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:54 am

kru1 wrote:I avoid those sections.

kru
Me too. those and goobers.

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:35 am

Don't overlook the newer flat water watertrails that have been developed in recent years. Excellent family-friendly opportunities to get on the water with very little skill required. Most, IIRC, are out-and-back also, negating the need for arranging shuttles to the put-in and take-outs.

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:14 pm

It's easy to say "not the Buffalo" but I'd say why not the Buffalo? Is there a more family friendly float stream in the state? Certainly not the Spring. At least not on a Saturday during the summer! I have found the Buffalo to be the one stream that is like coming home. I like many Arkansas paddlers fell in love with the outdoors and with paddling there. Like a rebellious youth I left for greener pastures, seeking excitement and challenges on other Arkansas streams that the familiar twists and turns of the Buffalo just could not offer. But as I introduce my children to the joys of paddling and as my need for speed wains, the Buffalo calls me home. It I think is the PERFECT family float stream.
Skoboten!

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:19 pm

By the way. I'd love to see a discussion on ways we can effectively encourage people to camp, paddle, hike, bike, and explore the outdoors of Arkansas more. I think it is safe to say that people just don't participate in adventure outdoor activities like they once did. I camped on Big Piney Creek over Spring Break expecting to see a campground full of paddlers and campers. The weather was not great but it was not horrible either. The campground was maybe 1/2 full if that. There once was a time when you would have to arrive on a Thursday or Friday morning to get a campsite. I think there is a reason why so many campgrounds across the state are closed. 1. it costs money to keep them open and 2. there are few visitors.
Skoboten!

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:20 pm

By the way. I'd love to see a discussion on ways we can effectively encourage people to camp, paddle, hike, bike, and explore the outdoors of Arkansas more. I think it is safe to say that people just don't participate in adventure outdoor activities like they once did. I camped on Big Piney Creek over Spring Break expecting to see a campground full of paddlers and campers. The weather was not great but it was not horrible either. The campground was maybe 1/2 full if that. There once was a time when you would have to arrive on a Thursday or Friday morning to get a campsite. I think there is a reason why so many campgrounds across the state are closed. 1. it costs money to keep them open and 2. there are few visitors.
Skoboten!

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:20 pm

It's easy to say "not the Buffalo" but I'd say why not the Buffalo? Is there a more family friendly float stream in the state? Certainly not the Spring. At least not on a Saturday during the summer! I have found the Buffalo to be the one stream that is like coming home. I like many Arkansas paddlers fell in love with the outdoors and with paddling there. Like a rebellious youth I left for greener pastures, seeking excitement and challenges on other Arkansas streams that the familiar twists and turns of the Buffalo just could not offer. But as I introduce my children to the joys of paddling and as my need for speed wains, the Buffalo calls me home. It I think is the PERFECT family float stream.
Skoboten!

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Well.....I agree on "why not the Buffalo", but the editor I talked with wanted information on other streams. Jim Kreuger gave me some excellent beta on the upper Ouachita and Caddo along with a mess of good pictures. Thanks, JIm!

On your other point: people are L A Z Y. If they can't drive a vehicle to it,they ain't gonna see it. Downside is that some of the new ATV's will go just about anywhere your two feet will take you.

Social Media