Waterproof camera recommendations

Paddling gear and boat review

Richard

Waterproof camera recommendations

Post by Richard » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:59 am

I am in need of a point and shoot waterproof camera. I have an old GOPRO and don't like it. I am sure the newer ones are much better but looking at all options.
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Jim Krueger

Re: Waterproof camera recommendations

Post by Jim Krueger » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:48 am

Richard,

I'm not a tech type guy so please take my advice with a grain of salt. For the last eight years I have used an Olympus
'Stylus Tough' 12 megapixel camera on my float trips. I keep it in my life jacket so I can whip it out quickly for photos as I'm floating. I routinely go swimming with it and it has remained waterproof and has made nice pictures. This model claims to be shockproof from a 6.5 ft. drop, and waterproof to a depth of 33 ft.
The camera will shoot video, but I mostly use it to make single photographs.

Best Regards
Jim

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:53 pm

We've had our Pentax Optio WG-2 (that's the non-GPS) version for two years or so and have been happy with it

Here's what we have... Looks like they make a newer version. We also got the SquareDeal extended warranty that covered water damage.

Pentax Optio WG-2 Digital Camera, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078KP0SM/re ... ivb09PWTJC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078KP0SM/re ... ivb09PWTJC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bryan Signorelli

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:11 am

Point and shoot........Pentax Optio WG-3
Helmet/action cam......http://atc.oregonscientific.com/product_ATC9k.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WPC
Name: Diane

Post by WPC » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:26 am

I have had 2 different Pentax cameras, but the only one I liked was an older model. It has been a couple of years so they may be better now. Has anyone tried the Garmin VIRB?

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:44 am

The Garmin is "water resistant".
Even the gopro is only water proof while in it's case.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:23 am

Like Steve said, I have one of the older Pentax Optio units and it has been really good.

I have been looking for a replacement with all the advances the newest models have.

Not as easy as I thought.

I am a big fan of the amazon dot com buyer feedback on cameras especially. I have yet to find a camera like the optio series that does not have quite a few very low feedback ratings and multiple horror stories. The manufacturer description sounds really good for all the new models, buyer feed back does not back up the reliably claims to the point I think it should.

It seems like purchasers either have great experiences or terrible. With water leakage or just stop working being mentioned quite a bit. Lots of frustration stories getting repairs especially when cameras leak usually around the battery closing gasket.

I am watching this thread with interest. It may boil down to pay your money and hope the unit you get works as advertised.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 am

I had the first model Nikon AW 100 and it was a great camera. It also had full 1080p HD video. The still shots were very good quality and 16 megapixels. I used the crap out of that camera and the summer at Week of Rivers when we had 20 inches of rain it was compromised and some moisture got inside (probably when I had the door open to sync and it was near 100% humidity). It hasn't been the same since. Every time I take it on the water when there is a big difference in water and air temp it will fog up on the inside of the lens. I know several people who have the Pentax Optio and have seen their pics from our trips but they really don't look that great. Maybe they don't have the settings correct. If I got another one I might try the new model Nikon AW 120. I know a few people who have one and they have had success.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:49 am

Richard wrote:I am in need of a point and shoot waterproof camera. color]

You sure are! :ROFL:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 am

Deuce: You sure are! :ROFL:

:confused: Uhhhh . . . just recognized a connection. :myday" Only time mine has gotten wet was with Deuce. Twice :box:
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:36 pm

Richard,

There were several recommendations on just this post for cameras, and a lot more information I'm sure you can glean from other searches, please let us know what you finally decided on if you get a new one, and how you like it. I hope to see you on a Rockport float later in the Summer.

Best Regards
Jim

Hawkayaks
Name: Hahns

Post by Hawkayaks » Tue May 12, 2015 12:19 pm

I just bought the Panasonic DMC TS30 for $150 on Amazon. 16.1 megapixel, optical stabilization, time lapse and burst photos although burst lowers resolution slightly, video in 720p but I dont really care about video, have a go pro for that, 4x zoom, waterproof to 23', shockproof to 5', dustproof. Overall reviews were really good. I was also looking at a Nikon and Sony but the Panasonic was slightly better on paper than the Nikon and although the Sony at $200 was better on paper it had a lot of negative reviews so I got the Panasonic. Should be here tomorrow and I hope to use it this week. Ill post back and see how it goes. Hahns

It also has an underwater and normal mode, it increases the red light? underwater so not everything looks blue and it has a wide angle lens.

Social Media