FORD - 3.2 Lower Long Boat Surfing:Report

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

Charles1967
Name: Charles

FORD - 3.2 Lower Long Boat Surfing:Report

Post by Charles1967 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:24 am

IF the SUN comes out this afternoon, I'm planning to hit the FORD with a new creeker for break in around 3pm today.

:grin:
Last edited by Charles1967 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

Charles1967

Re: FORD - 3.2 Lower Long Boat Surfing

Post by Charles1967 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Trip Report: The Ford was running about 3.24. We arrived around 3:05pm. It was sunny. In attendance was myself...and my wife; and she eluded to the idea she was 'only' there because we were sharing the same vehicle. She was there strictly as an observer.
After suiting up and outfitting my new Karma, I approached the upper pool. This was the moment I'd been waiting for since purchasing my Karma in the Flying Burrito parking lot 2 hours before. I began with 3-4 rolls to get used to the 45 degree water, some fantastic ferrying eddy grab things [guys, I'll try to learn the terms finally this summer], and some surfing. This was enough for me to realize something about rolling and boating in cold water within 2 hours of eating at Flying Burrito - but I pushed on to the lower wave. :sick:
This was where things got dicey. After my first two attempts at surfing, I realized my burrito had definitely taken flight again. One combat roll later I was a bit disoriented and having trouble remembering which part of the paddle belonged in the water. Apparently, most of the blood in my body had gone to service my digestive system. :wht:

It was a short trip, but I consider it a success. I left the water [quickly] safely to boat another day, and got to put a few good scratches on a new acquisition before it hit the garage for the next cold snap. :thumbup:

The Ford rocks!!
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

ShayA
Name: Shay

Re: FORD - 3.2 Lower Long Boat Surfing:Report

Post by ShayA » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:08 am

Ha! Very cool. Glad you got the Karma. You were killing it last weekend on the bottom wave. Sounds like you should hold off on the burritos prior to roll sessions at the Ford. :thumbdown:

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:29 am

Yes, the pre-paddle diet will get better attention. Thanks again for letting me try your Jackson. I look forward to hitting a good river run in the Karmas! :yahoo:

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:39 am

Charles1967 wrote: Thanks again for letting me try your Jackson. I look forward to hitting a good river run in the Karmas! :yahoo:
:thumbup:

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:05 pm

Charles - Congrats on the new boat. It was fun watching you demo Shays. You really have become a really skilled boater in an impressively short time. I am still blown away by the fact that you have had only one down river trip. I guess it definitely shows that you can gain all the skills one needs to be a great boater, right there at our little ol' ford. Doesn't hurt to live " five minutes away", though, does it. -M- :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:24 pm

Conan the Barbarian spent 15 years chained to the Wheel of Pain. There he developed the strength that later when he was free, he unleashed on the world. It's the same thing with Charles. Only different.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

RobM
Name: Rob

Post by RobM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:44 pm

cpresoz wrote:Conan the Barbarian spent 15 years chained to the Wheel of Pain. There he developed the strength that later when he was free, he unleashed on the world. It's the same thing with Charles. Only different.
You calling Ford " the wheel of pain" ? I'd say its the wheel of gain :kayak:

Sweet boat Charles!! The zen 65 for sale yet? :ROFL:
See ya on the water,
Rob

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:57 pm

Can't wait to see "Charles the Barbarian", unleashed on the world. -M- :grin:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:29 am

You guys.... :thumbup:

The Ford does rock. The thing I realized that makes the Ford so awesome is the controlled predictability of it. I was sure being on the Ford 99% would 'sink' me, and quite frankly I was nervous about my first 'real river' trip. NEVER planned to go anywhere that first year. I realized after my first trip to the ledge [L-4 SWR], and then my only [Frog] river trip...that 'most' features [water volume aside] I'd seen before at the Ford [at various levels]...and practiced...over and over again. THAT is why the Ford rocks, because you can practice something over and over, without a major portage or slowing down your group of common adventurers.

More importantly, not to downplay the Ford, but it wasn't until I met boaters like you guys my interest got peaked. ACC members and boaters in general willing to say "hello", walk over and talk about what they were doing. My second trip to the "island" [I'd have to float down from the bridge because the park was not built] to watch, those boaters wouldn't leave me alone! ;) When Spring 2014 came, I can't count all the people I met. The Ford was like "Cheers" for me. Heck, I had to buy a boat to keep the conversation going! :D Never thought I'd actually learn to use it?! :grin:

Seriously, never planned to leave the Ford in 2014. Johnna, Eric, and Adam all jumped into the water and worked with me on my roll. Others 'pushed' me out on that upper wave and told me how to surf. I'd NEVER have moved forward without that roll and that encouragement. Rob & Tom encouraged my safety learning and next thing I was in L-3, then L-4 SWR at the Ouachita River. Boat Ball, Rendezvous, my Frog run...none of it without the "people" and the friendships.

I'm a product of a good club, great coaching, and fantastic people.

...and yes, thanks to all that, it make living 5 miles from the Ford totally friggin awesome! :yahoo:

Social Media