need a little help with mileage of spring river

Open Discussion

shawn_rackley81
Name: shawn rackley

need a little help with mileage of spring river

Post by shawn_rackley81 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Ok as we all know the outfitters are closed on spring. However I really want to paddle from the bayou access on river right to hardy. Problem is that I don't know the mileage from bayou access to hardy take out. The days have grown short, but I still want to paddle the lower. Which I haven't. I have paddled spring river many times. Just not below many islands. That's why I need info on the distance from the bayou access to hardy. I don't figure I can paddle all 15miles from damn three to hardy in one day. Trying to figure out if I can make a day trip from the bayou access down in one day.
Thanks in advance. Any advice would also be appreciated since I have not ever ran the lower

we66erno1
Name: doug webber

Re: need a little help with mileage of spring river

Post by we66erno1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:01 pm

The problem is the shuttle time required for putting in at bayou and taking out at Hardy. The shuttle is a lot quicker when you put in at dam 3 and take out at Hardy.

This may make up for the added two(I think it's less than two miles) miles of boating. Since you would get on the river quicker.

It's allegedly only five miles from dam 3 to saddler falls. This normally takes me less than two hours to complete, during the summer, when there are plenty of distractions to slow you down. The only reason it ever takes me longer is if I stop to surf or watch the distractions.

your main concern should be of all the slow moving flat water from Many Islands to Hardy. There is also a long pool to paddle after High Falls and the rapid below high falls. Here's the map we use at Spring River Canoe Club to show people the mileage to Hardy. There is also a map showing the highway to get to the bayou access. It's the canoe symbol that is down river of dam3.

You can for sure make the whole 15 miles if your in a kayak, in about 6 or 7 hours. If your in a canoe and it's windy, that's will be a problem if your using a single blade. If you have a break down kayak paddle you can take with you for the longer pools, you should be able to make it in less than 7.5hours.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

shawn_rackley81

Post by shawn_rackley81 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Yeah I was afraid the shuttle to bayou would make it impractical. And I am concerned about all the flatwater. Especially since I'm taking my Pyranha h3 and my girlfriend will be taking her dagger agent.. we are used to paddling a lot of flatwater since we float the eleven point often. The biggest kicker is we like to run or play in spots for a while. Afraid we wouldn't even have time to stop and eat. Lol it's only about an hour drive from my place to dam 3 so if we are there at daybreak and ready to go it might be possible. Is there many good rapids below many islands?

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:58 am

I was doing a bit of fishing related research yesterday and found about the best map of that section of the river that I've seen to date. http://www.agfc.com/resources/fishingMa ... 0River.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice topo map with roads, accesses, scale of miles and other overlay information.

Best Regards
Jim

shawn_rackley81

Post by shawn_rackley81 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Thanks for the input. Map won't work on my phone. My phone is a piece of junk. I will have to download it at the girlfriends on her computer.

Social Media