Sugar Creek Water Trail Restoration (HELP!)

Open Discussion
greg vanhorn
Name: Greg

Re: Sugar Creek Water Trail Restoration (HELP!)

Post by greg vanhorn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:34 am

Thank you, Tom, John, Luke. It's a group effort when you are trying to restore a stream and remove a dam. I don't know if a dam has ever been removed before in the Ozarks (due to the efforts of a dedicated group of river lovers). I left a message at the WCRC and will be sending some pics by email. Their website seems like they are the right people to talk to. I'd also like to talk to Recreational Engineering and Planning (the firm that designed and built Siloam's park)about their suggestions.

I took the attached photo of the upstream end of Lake Bella Vista last night. The algae has returned, even though the reservoir was drained to wash the last bloom downstream just 10 days ago.

"Heroes are not giant statues framed against a red sky. They are people who say: This is my community, and it is my responsibility to make it better." -- Studs Terkel, Pulitzer Prize winning author
Attachments
upstream August 14th, 2014.JPG

greg vanhorn
Name: Greg

Post by greg vanhorn » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Tom on LSC.JPG
Tom on LSC.JPG
We had a great meeting today with the Watershed Conservation Research Council in Fayetteville. Matt and Sandi are leaders in the movement for natural stream designs that use native plants to restore stream banks, instead of concrete or limestone boulders that inhibit plant growth and wash away when the floods come.

Sandi and Matt are going to help us develop a preliminary plan for restoring the stream (Little Sugar Creek) and removing this deadbeat dam. The plan will enable us to show that stream restoration is a more sensible solution than dam construction - a solution that offers better recreational opportunities, improves water quality and makes better economic sense!

We have 19 new candidates running for Bentonville City Council this year. I'll post a list of those that support a healthy watershed before the November 4th election. Some of the candidates are young people that enjoy riding on the bike trails and want to help improve their community. We already have two sitting Aldermen in our corner and we hope to garner support from the other 6 council members over the course of the next several months.

If anyone would like to assist with this effort, we'd like any member or friend of the ACC to write a quick statement to the City Council (their emails can be found here ( http://www.bentonvillear.com/government/city-council" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) saying something like, "I support a stream restoration project for Little Sugar Creek. I believe a free-flowing waterway offers recreational opportunities, cleaner water and makes better sense for the community." "I am opposed to dam construction project on Little Sugar Creek." Or, whatever you'd like to say!

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Great work guys! :thumbup:
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

Social Media