Illinois River Incident - 6/17/2014

Open Discussion
Charles1967
Name: Charles

Re: Illinois River Incident - 6/17/2014

Post by Charles1967 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:32 pm

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltext-new ... olctjPKa0g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The unfortunate thing is I saw that kid they interviewed using a 'rope' on the falls with his buddies and we had words last night. Apparently, they have been talked to by the police for blocking the falls with a rope, diving in the 'kiddy pool' from the parking level, and other things out there before. There were only 10 swimmers last night, and FOX interviewed these teenagers in the parking lot. Wonderful. They apparently didn't talk to any 'boaters'.
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:26 pm

I couldn't help but be trolled by that article. I bit hard. Hope my reply at least leads someone to go buy a PFD or to watch their children more closely.
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Good post. Very appropriate in my opinion. :thumbup:
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

we66erno1
Name: doug webber

Post by we66erno1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:01 pm

It pains me to say this, but if you drown in moving water and aren't wearing a PFD.... Then you probably paid to steep of a price for your mistake. But that was your mistake. Not anyone else's.

Really I cannot understand why anyone believes that the local government should get involved enforcing safety. Wear a PFD if you can't swim in moving water. Wear a pair of shoes if your gonna climb on rocks that might cut your feet. Never dive into a river. Swim with a buddy.

Do whatever you gotta do, to make sure you come home unscathed. Drownings and other accidents are almost always preventable if you just make an effort to stay some what safe.
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

Hcarr999
Name: Heath

Post by Hcarr999 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:36 pm

we66erno1 wrote:It pains me to say this, but if you drown in moving water and aren't wearing a PFD.... Then you probably paid to steep of a price for your mistake. But that was your mistake. Not anyone else's.

Really I cannot understand why anyone believes that the local government should get involved enforcing safety. Wear a PFD if you can't swim in moving water. Wear a pair of shoes if your gonna climb on rocks that might cut your feet. Never dive into a river. Swim with a buddy.

Do whatever you gotta do, to make sure you come home unscathed. Drownings and other accidents are almost always preventable if you just make an effort to stay some what safe.
Couldn't agree more
Paddle or die!!!!

Moniker
Name: Don

Post by Moniker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:43 am

It is so sad when people learn the risks of playing in moving water just before they die,you just have to think about how many lives you(we) have saved through education.
Hopefully this will be a learning experience.I would'nt want this to ever happen again.Anywhere.
My condolences to the family,to lose a friend and family member at such an early age is almost unbearable.
"If it's a dull party,leave it that way."
Flo to Andy Capp

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:14 am

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltext-new ... u8b9kDSNow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to the article, there is still an investigation going on. Maybe for the sake of closure, they'll be able to determine something more definitive. Must admit, I've been obsessing about it. Being in that calm water that afternoon/evening, all of us [searchers] were having trouble understanding what could cause something like this. It won't bring him back, but it could be instructive and a platform for conversation to other young folks to prevent it happening again.

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:37 am

I keep seeing little tidbits about cramps. But, nothing solid at all.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:46 am

Tom, I heard that also. Standing in that water chest to knee deep with lite current, it is just so hard to accept 'cramping' with a kid that fit. The water had dropped so low and slow that day. We may never know for sure.

Ouachitoff

Post by Ouachitoff » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:04 am

Any chance of fowl play?

(sorry, really, I couldn't resist) :whistle:
- English proverb

greg vanhorn
Name: Greg

Post by greg vanhorn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:49 am

Something is missing in this sad saga. He was on the high school swim team. I saw a picture of him doing the butterfly stroke, which isn't easy. Competitive swimmers are especially adept in the water, even if it is moving. It doesn't make sense. First there were reports of a rope swing and then I heard rumors that there may have been cramping. He was with friends, but I haven't seen any reports from what they saw him last doing in the river.

737driver
Name: Clay Cahoon

Post by 737driver » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:28 am

It's terrible for his family, but I don't think he died in vain. I believe now some people will see this accident and realize that they need to be more careful. His death may have saved a future toddler from dying due to a parent seeing the news and thinking "wow, I'm gonna put a life jacket on Johnny and not let him swim the wave". It sucks that the news is distorting the story about the exact location, but that's how news works. Most are uneducated about the story they are reporting. I see this all the time with aviation. In fact, I've never seen a correct story about aviation. These bad stories have not stopped people from flying and have not shut down airlines. I think that these distorted news stories might actually help us with the park. If it was just a drowning in a lake, then nobody would pay attention. At least now, more people are becoming interested in the story and hopefully realizing that real moving water is not like swimming at the wave pool at Magic Springs. I doubt the park will be shut down, because any good lawyer will have the city protected already. The bad press will go away as soon as the next natural disaster, plane crash, drunk politician, or Beyoncé's divorce happens. In the meantime, I think we should use this attention to try and educate people. While we can't change everybody (can't fix stupid), we can do our best to inform the one's that are willing to listen. Remember when none of us used seat belts? They were in all the cars, but most of us didn't use them until we started seeing how they can actually save lives. It's wasn't because we were stupid rednecks (maybe), it's because we were not informed. Many of us learn by observation instead of reading a sign. How about we have an "intro to river safety" day that is free to all that come and give away 100 life jackets to the first 100 kids that show? We can talk to them about hydrology and the dangers of current in a "down to earth" version.
Clay Cahoon

Paddle solo, sleep tandem

Ouachitoff

Post by Ouachitoff » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:22 pm

I like the idea, i'd donate for the lifejacket fund.
- English proverb

Dustin
Name: Dustin Frank

Post by Dustin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Perhaps, with the city's permission, the club could place an outdoor brochure holder on a couple of the signs poles and stock fliers explaining whitewater basics (eddies, sub-surface currents, etc) and other hazards (submerged tree limbs, rocks, etc) in order to educate the general public as to why PFDs are so important. Also, we could look into including appropriate AGFC regulations about PFDs.

I remember a news article a while ago where AGFC provided a PFD loan station at a particular access point, and at time of printing there had been no thefts. Perhaps this is something we could look into as well.

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:59 pm

@greg - I believe the "cramp" idea is a theory. Maybe somebody trying to make more sense of a kid this strong succumbing to such shallow water. While searching, the story was [radio direct to witness]: "he was under the rope swing and went down to adjust his shoe and never came up". Apparently, the witnesses were quite a distance away from him heading back upstream. Most guys in search were having trouble with the story. I just assumed if it really went that way, it could have been a delayed reaction to blunt impact from something under the water at the swing and maybe he lost consciousness. That is the additional tragedy, that we may never know. I hope we do, because it could provide additional instruction/warning to others - and like you guys are saying - save a life down the road.

Like the last few days, today there was NOT very many people at the park. Only about 10 swimmers and ALL the young kids were wearing life jackets!! All of the REAL young kids actually stayed in the 'kiddy pool' area. A few older teenagers were wearing life jackets and I even saw two brothers swapping a life jackets at first if one of them went down the falls without the tube - which isn't perfect - but better than nothing.

That said, there was a family the day after [Wednesday] just swimming through the rapids - kids diving - no PFDs. Like you said; rules ain't gonna fix everybody. Signs gotta be read and taken seriously. People must be able to associate with the danger.

I'll be there in the A.M. patrolling the Ford. Keeping the waves warm.

** Dustin - REALLY like the brochure idea. I was thinking of suggesting the ACC come up with a handout. I'm there so often, I could get a bunch out there. Having them on a stand or something would be great.

Social Media