Jack Creek

Open Discussion

iYak

Jack Creek

Post by iYak » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:57 pm

Jacks creek is running big, we will be running several laps. Sugar is too high, but should be runnable in an hour or 2.

magicmike
Name: Mike

Re: Jack Creek

Post by magicmike » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Will Sugar still be there in the morning? -M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Looks like it might be there on the low end. Depends on what happens with this current activity!! Could go a bit higher. North Ouachita's are the place to be know.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:11 pm

So who's rocking Logan County tomorrow? I'd love to tag along to provide open boat carnage
-M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Half Ton
Name: J Herrick P

Post by Half Ton » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:21 pm

I am borderline mike
"The challenge goes on. There are other lands and rivers, other wilderness areas, to save and to share with all. I challenge you to step forward to protect and care for the wild places you love best"

- Neil Compton

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:30 pm

I have tomorrow off, so if any of those creeks are still running, I'm in for sure.!-M-

iYak

Post by iYak » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:18 pm

It ended up raining quite a bit more so I don't think you could have gotten to the sugar creek putin without a big truck this afternoon. Jacks creek was a hoot though.
I would think that without any more rain, sugar will still be doable early am, with more rain it could be big again. Watch out, for trees in upper sugar creek. There were a couple of river wide trees in jacks too, but it was high enough to pass over them.
Last edited by iYak on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks for the heads up! -M-

Roger

Post by Roger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:05 am

Was planning to be there today with Tim Eubanks to R-2, but with more rain coming in, it looks like they might not get down to acceptable levels. Crazy weather for sure in June.

After looking at radar and seeing that massive area of rain stretching from Oklahoma to central Texas headed toward our way (and Jack/Sugar), we are holding off till tomorrow for these creeks.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Half Ton

Post by Half Ton » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:25 am

Still on fence. 10;00 am is latest I can leave. Still watching rader and gage for a few. Don't wanna get down there and be shut down by the man for sure. 97o 355o
"The challenge goes on. There are other lands and rivers, other wilderness areas, to save and to share with all. I challenge you to step forward to protect and care for the wild places you love best"

- Neil Compton

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:48 am

Yeah. Too far to drive to stand looking at a flooded creek with the police. I'm out.-M-

NickHobbs

Post by NickHobbs » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:55 am

We're heading back to Jacks/Sugar, should be good levels today

Half Ton

Post by Half Ton » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:57 am

En route

- Neil Compton

iYak

Post by iYak » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:55 pm

We hit Jack Creek at a much lower but still fun level this morning, then finished up Sugar Creek at 2.2. Sugar never got below 3' yesterday and we were hoping for another high water day today, but it only came up 2 inches after the morning rains. Still great fun with lots of nice rapids and creek surfing.

We need to do a little maintenance on the upper section of Sugar Creek as there are lots of trees, so beware.

We ran the short section of Jack Creek, but some folks putin further upstream and said it was a tree nightmare and it took them forever. On the section we ran, we just paddled over a couple trees but never had to portage.

MaxTexan
Name: dave

Post by MaxTexan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:29 am

Flapjack showed me a spot where Jack comes close to the road and the bank is not too steep to access the creek downstream of the bridge. This avoids most of the bad trees, etc.

I thought I marked trees in the area with a yellow blaze but those maybe well gone now.

I miss practicing in the pools at Knopper ... Far better than an irrigation reservoir of west Texas.

Social Media