It almost happened today

Open Discussion
Dustin
Name: Dustin Frank

Re: It almost happened today

Post by Dustin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:39 pm

Looking at similar issues at other parks, I have found the following:
http://www.cityofgolden.net/latest-news ... ear-creek/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.glenwoodwhitewaterpark.org/parking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; see #7
http://www.avon.org/index.aspx?NID=491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pueblo.us/Facilities/Facility/Details/57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Golden CO has placed a temporary ban on non-whitewater specific craft.
Several parks have a mandatory PFD and helmet policy.

After last night's chapter meeting, I understand some of the jurisdictional issues with enforcing safety. During the Grand Opening, what are the chances of an AFGC representative being present?

Dan Daniel

Post by Dan Daniel » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Removed my post.
Do what you will.
Dan
Last edited by Dan Daniel on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Steve Yaney

Post by Dr. Steve Yaney » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:39 am

Well said! There was a picture of a paddler at the ford today in the gazette....think his name was Foley or maybe Boley?? Anyway, nice pic

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Post by Charles1967 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:55 am

Man, did anybody see that 2 foot snake? It's only a matter of time before........

:poke2:
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:12 am

Charles1967 wrote:Man, did anybody see that 2 foot snake? It's only a matter of time before........

:poke2:
Get out of my room!! I'm trying to sleep. :ROFL:
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:38 am

Dan is right. There are a lot of experienced paddlers working with the City to encourage responsible use of the park. I volunteer to help out with the needs of all of the young moms.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 am

The important thing to remember: Even if they close down the 'park' [and they won't], the 'river' will keep on running.

Those rapids ain't goin nowhere.

...but either is that snake...

:poke2: :jaws:
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:22 am

Dr. Steve Yaney wrote:Well said! There was a picture of a paddler at the ford today in the gazette....think his name was Foley or maybe Boley?? Anyway, nice pic
Ohhhh, Bowie! http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/jun/ ... -brings-r/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:44 am

I've never been to the SSWRP so I can't comment on it specifically. But, the city of San Marcos, TX rebuilt the river features at Rio Vista Park several years ago to make it more recreational and surfable waves for boaters and safer for tubers and it was designed by the same group who did Siloam Springs. To my knowledge there have been no deaths because of the new park in San Marcos BUT there has been at least one very near drowning of a small child who had CPR performed on him at the park just a couple years ago. In that case there were no adults watching this kid and someone found him unconscious in the water. Moving water is just plain dangerous and swimmers/tubers don't have a clue. The signs will help some but a strong campaign from the city as well as us paddlers who know the dangers of the water are going to be the most important at the beginning stages of this new park. There will be people who ignore it all and they will be at a greater risk of accidents. People will be dumb and we can't fix that but the dialogue from us and the city who manages the park is good.

Now for more bad news... tubing and swimming at the park in San Marcos has become so popular that during the months of about May-September paddlers pretty much cannot use the park during the day except very early in the morning. There are thousands (I am not exaggerating) of tubers in the water from about 11am till whenever the tube rental company, which happens to be in the park, closes for the day. A couple of years ago the city put some stadium lights up facing the river so paddlers could play at the park at night which is pretty cool. Hopefully the tubers and swimmers won't kick you out of your own play spot during the summer at Siloam Springs!

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Cool. I was just telling someone the other day before going to my house, 4 miles from the River Park: It would be really cool if they put a few of those solar lights [which I assume burn most of the night on a charge] over the features and have "Boater's Hours" in the late evening. Maybe just until 10:30pm, or so....

Thankful for it just the way it is, but never hurts to dream. :thumbup:

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:13 pm

cpresoz wrote:
Dr. Steve Yaney wrote:Well said! There was a picture of a paddler at the ford today in the gazette....think his name was Foley or maybe Boley?? Anyway, nice pic
Ohhhh, Bowie! http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/jun/ ... -brings-r/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey, I know that guy! He won't claim to know me though. :ROFL:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:15 pm

...and the crowd is coming....

My kids finished up their Siloam Spring's schoolin about 11am today. I can hear the Jaws soundtrack playing.... They are coming to the park...

:jaws:

BHK Okie
Name: Terry Nixon

Post by BHK Okie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:58 pm

A couple weeks ago me , my son , & a friend of my son's were all at the park & there were some kids ( 14-16 yrs in age is my guess ) . They had a rope tied to a rock between the upper & lower waves & the other end tied around their waist . They were goin through the lower rapid with it tied to them !! We tried to explain to them what would happen but they would go again before we could even finish a sentence . They had zero interest in what we had to say . The boys with me wanted to leave so they would have to watch someone drowned . Sometimes gloom & doom is too obvious to ignore . We left .

hdh
Name: Harlan

Post by hdh » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Dierks is still the best play spot in Arkansas!!!!!!!!
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

Dan Daniel

Post by Dan Daniel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Removed my post.
Do what you will.
Dan

(479)-524-4118

Please put this non emergency number to the Siloam Springs Police Dept. in your phones if you are planning on using the park.
Last edited by Dan Daniel on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Social Media