Tandem Royalex White Water Boat Wanted!

Post paddling related items for sale here or items you are looking for.
Commercial Members feel free to post your sale items here as well.
fortner
Name: Fortner

Tandem Royalex White Water Boat Wanted!

Post by fortner » Thu May 29, 2014 2:23 pm

Well, I guess it is official now. I have been trolling this message board and local (sometime not so local) craigslist adds for a while and the pickings are slim, so I am reaching out to you folks. I am looking for a tandem royalex boat that is class II - III white water capable... though I would be interested in more capable white water boats, but no flat water as I have that covered.

I am particularly fond onf the Blue Hole Starburst and OCA, but there are a whole plethora of boats I would consider... Buffalo, Two Brothers Arkota, Dagger, Bell, Wenonah, Esquif, Mohawk, Mad River, some of the old town models, Perception (really like the old Perception boats) etc. That should pretty well open it up!

Let me know what you have.

James

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Tandem Royalex White Water Boat Wanted!

Post by Deuce » Thu May 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Budget? Does it need to be used, or would new be acceptable? Are you willing to travel?
You come too.
Robert Frost

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Thu May 29, 2014 3:12 pm

This is cut and pasted from the BCOS (Bayou Chapter Ozark Society) April newsletter. Area code should be 318 as the BCOS is located out of Shreveport, LA. A lot of the members come to AR to paddle quite often so getting the boat transported might be pretty easy.

7 year old canoe - $850.00
It is a Legend, Dagger, material is Royalex. It is in great shape as it has hardly
been used. I have always keep it under roof and out of the sun. The few times
that I used it, afterwards, it was washed and a coat of "Armor All" was applied.
It does have a few scrapes but nothing that would hurt the performance. All the
webbing on seats are in tack and solid. Wood has all the varnish and solid. It
should last some one for years to come. Contact Craig Watson at 422-3912.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

fortner

Post by fortner » Thu May 29, 2014 3:59 pm

ehh... I don't want to deter anyone from throwing something out there by putting a budget up, but I would prefer that it be used and a new Arkota is too steep for me. I would like to keep it around $500, but again don't want to deter someone from putting up something really special because I would go higher for that type of stuff... having said that, I am always looking for a deal and the cheaper the better!

I already reached out to the guy with the Dagger Legend (thats right I was trolling super old posts!) and he has already sold it. If he hadn't I would definately own it!... So, that was something special in my opinion

I wouldn't mind to travel a bit for something special... I know there is a Dagger Dimension around Dallas, but they are high on it and want to sell a lot of gear with it that I don't need.

Thanks for the input!

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Thu May 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Don't know if you've tried this but we had success with it when looking for an inexpensive swamp boat.

It searches Craigslists within X miles of your zip code.

http://www.searchtempest.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bryan Signorelli

fortner

Post by fortner » Thu May 29, 2014 4:20 pm

Good Advice... I have been using it and it is a VERY good resourse. I am hoping this post will inspire someone to pull their old Blue Hole out of the garage an sell it to me! :yahoo:

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Thu May 29, 2014 5:17 pm

There is a Sunburst in Nashville cheap. It looks rough but is an excellent candidate for refurbishing if you don't mind a bit of work.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4476139070.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been helping a fellow with this purchase, a black hulled OCA in fine condition. They are out there if you look.

Canoe_Codger

Post by Canoe_Codger » Thu May 29, 2014 6:15 pm

There is also this one, green, if you are willing to make a road trip to Colorado to pick it up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131196971700?ss ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fortner

Post by fortner » Thu May 29, 2014 6:30 pm

I do like the sunburst, but really need to stick with a tandem. Saw the OCA in Colorado, but that is a little far. Now the black one, so it is already sold?

I don't mind some work, but am not looking for another major project (I have a few of those)

nice to see that they are out there! I am hoping the black one is not already sold!

Canoe_Codger

Post by Canoe_Codger » Thu May 29, 2014 8:01 pm

fortner wrote:I do like the sunburst, but really need to stick with a tandem. Saw the OCA in Colorado, but that is a little far. Now the black one, so it is already sold?

I don't mind some work, but am not looking for another major project (I have a few of those)

nice to see that they are out there! I am hoping the black one is not already sold!
It is sold. But just keep up a constant search, a few minutes each evening. Another search engine to try is Yakaz. I've never shipped a canoe, but it is possible if one is found at a really good price to offset the shipping cost. Oh... and contact Louis at Two Brothers Canoes. He may hear of a used Arkota for sale. Some of the North Arkansas and Southern Missouri outfitters are a possiblity as well. Some of them rotate their rental fleet, though with Royalex down for the count they may not do so as frequently as in the past.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Thu May 29, 2014 8:06 pm

OT Appalachian on Paddling.net. Located in Tennessee. Here's the link. http://www.paddling.net/Classifieds/for ... ell&state=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You may already be doing this, but since you're willing to travel a bit check CL in areas like Nashville, parts of Georgia, etc. that are close to popular WW runs. There are search aggregators that do a pretty good job but they force you to wade through a bunch of big box store junk. Also, Google it and look at outfitter listings. Some of them are willing to ship. Happy hunting.
You come too.
Robert Frost

fortner

Post by fortner » Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 am

Thanks, I would have bought the black one at the drop of a hat. Out of curiousity, what did it sell for? I'm keeping the search up, in fact I have become borderline obsessive about it!

I talked to Louis about demo boats, but he said he is holding on to them because of the uncertainty around the availability fo the new material, but if he ends up getting access to it then he may consider letting them go. I haven't called the outfitter yet, mainly because I would prefer to have one in really nice shape, you know, the barn find everyone dreams of! ... but it wouldn't hurt to call up to BOC I guess.

I have never used Yakaz, but will give it a go.

Good advice on searching near popular runs... Nashville would be a doable trip for me, Georgia...ehh not so much

Thanks again for all of your input!

fortner

Post by fortner » Fri May 30, 2014 8:13 am

Also,

I like the Appalachian... sent the guy a text, but no reply yet

fortner

Post by fortner » Fri May 30, 2014 8:56 am

Okay, now lets see what I missed...

http://fayar.craigslist.org/boa/4494360588.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the add he says it is "ABS plastic" which would mean Royalex to me, but he says it is not royalex. I talked to him and he has a sale pending, but will let me know if it falls through. Hate to doubt the guy, but everything I have read about Blue Water leads me to believe it would either be Fiberglass, Kevlar, or Royalex.

I know there are folks here that know more than I do about it... what do you think?

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Fri May 30, 2014 9:05 am

I should clarify. When I say outfitters I don't mean the places renting canoes on the Buffalo et al but the actual shops (some of whom also rent canoes but have stores where they stock boats and equipment). For example, I was helping a buddy look and Googled something like "used Dagger canoes". One of the hits was a reputable outfitter in West Virginia who had a very nice Dagger Caper for a reasonable price that he would have been willing to ship to Arkansas. I asked him hypothetically what that would cost and he said he could do it for around $100. Just saying that since you've reached the point of obsession (BTDT :oops: ) you might want to try that. Could stumble onto exactly what you want. Also, Harlan Hughes had a Dagger Caper for sale. I think it sold, but it was in the gear swap section here.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media