Re: Cossatot Maiden Voyage

Post by CSH » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:13 pm

We need a banner
Chris Handley

hilbili
Name: jeff benefield

Post by hilbili » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:36 pm

yes! CMV 2014 white on a green background. 3'x5' with room for attendees to sign. it is a rite of passage!
tell'em Goober says "hey"!

Dee Tucker

Post by Dee Tucker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:03 pm

My first one was1995, in the Bullwinkle days. At the takeout we drug canoes up the embankment on river left under the hwy 4 bridge (now hwy 278 or whatever). Kim was a first timer that day too. She ran all of the falls, first time, in an open boat, clean. I swam like a rat...repeatedly. Don't know how I got my boat up that embankment at the end. Max went up like a mountain goat. My last trip was 2010, and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any in between. I think this is one of the very best paddling events anywhere. It's a big, exciting, challenging step up for boaters with fantastic support and preparation. Walter does a phenomenal job of screening, organizing and directing, and the ACC support crew does great job with safety support and coaching for the first timers. There are lots of swims, lots of saves, and lots of smiles. For a touch of reality, there are some bumps, bruises, and lost or broken equipment as well. Also, there is the tough task of having to tell someone they are not ready for the trip or not ready to run the falls... Well this is part of paddling, and this is most of the reason why this event has been so successful. This event is a blast. All we need is water on first timers day.

canoe

Post by canoe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Will be there. dale

Mike_P
Name: Mike Potts

Post by Mike_P » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:15 pm

I was on that 2011 trip, Walter. One of the best paddling days of my life! Thanks for all you do and for all the support folks who signed up to help.

Mike P.
Rogers, AR

Gtombridge
Name: Gary

Post by Gtombridge » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Count Me In

Walter Felton
ACC Member at Large

Post by Walter Felton » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:35 am

If you are interested in being on the list to receive information related to the trip you will need to contact me directly using the e-mail in the first post. Just a side note we are about to reach capacity for first timers based on the number of support boaters that have contacted me indicating they can help.

Walter Felton

MannyLedezma
Name: Manny Ledezma

Post by MannyLedezma » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:42 pm

Looking forward to it!

Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:07 am

Man, I went through several years' worth of my diaries and can only find a documentation of the 1999 BMV. I do remember Kim and Dee going on one of the first ones after the 1995 canoe school, but they were in OC-1's in my Canoe School class that year. It's possible the first couple BMV's were NOT the week after Canoe School, but I certainly remember attempting to organize several. 1997 appeared to have died due to lack of water and my diary focus waned after 1999. Perhaps some old posts on the ACC Board(while it was in its infancy) might give a better clue. Can't imagine running the BMV prior to ACC School, but then I've slept since then I guess. Wish I could be more help. Old ACC Newsletters would've had write ups on the events for sure. That might be the route to go.

DM&FS
I have a CD Burner.....it's my fireplace.
I haven't had to shovel snow once this winter, since I got my new flamethrower.

rchasei
Name: Chase

Post by rchasei » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:54 pm

Bullwinkle himself chimes in boosting his average to a whopping 1.1 posts/year!

Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:10 am

Yes, and that's about the same number of times I get out on the river these days.....coincidence??

DM&FS

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:22 am

Glad to see your post Mr Winkle,

Not only was Bullwinkle the man for Cossatot First Timers, he was the key Judge for the DustBowl WW Rodeos at the Tulsa Wave. His efforts helped us make this a national event with hot dog boaters from all over. Max we miss you and your VW Van!

Dave Reid :myday"
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:43 am

Dave: Hope you're still on the mend my man. Even better if you are back to semi-full function! I don't remember who organized those rodeos(Randy Jackson maybe?? Dave Reid??), but I do remember Bob McDonnough leaving rather disgruntled when a local Texas paddler beat the big boys. It was either Wade Locker or Brian Cravens. I think Mr. Spellius won the first one and his lady friend did her share too.

I think Paul Bishop was one of the judges too, but don't remember the 3rd one. Sorry, I'm getting old.

....and Dave, flattery will get you EVERYWHERE!!

DM&FS

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:37 am

Max, doing well on rehab considering all the things that were broken. I attribute a lot of my recovery to the prayers and good thoughts from the boating community represented on this message board.

On the Rodeo, like a lot of the good things for boating in Tulsa, Randy was the idea man who co opted me into his "projects ". It helped the rodeo that I was working for QT and was able to get a lot of donations for ice, refreshments, snacks etc for the attendee's.

Cannot say enough good things about Randy. We make a good team. Back in the day we had a extended good team that made that rodeo so successful. I keep hoping we get the Tulsa Wave back, seems like we get close time after time and cannot get the decision makers to "close" the deal.

I know both Randy and myself were doing a lot of boating out west in the early days. Randy being the "pioneer".

Being a "white haired guy from Tulsa" got me a lot of free beers as Randy did the gnar runs and I kind of followed along and kept my mouth shut as I enjoyed the beer Randy's reputation accomplished for that "white haired guy from Tulsa".
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

hdh
Name: Harlan

Post by hdh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 pm

FYI we got the DEER camp reserved may 9,10
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

Social Media