Cossatot Maiden Voyage

Open Discussion
Walter Felton
ACC Member at Large

Cossatot Maiden Voyage

Post by Walter Felton » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:53 am

Assuming there is water on the Cossatot on Saturday May 10, 2014 the Cossatot maiden voyage tradition will return. As time draws nearer I will post updates on the message board but here are the basics. If you would like to try you newly learned skills from canoe school on the Cossatot, with some addition support, read on. Please contact Walter Felton by e-mail (wfelton@ipa.net) to get your name on the list and get details about meeting times and places. I will need to hear from people that are interested so that we have enough support boaters for the trip and to ensure that you have the skills and equipment necessary for the trip. I will send individual questionnaires to participants to assess skills and equipment and will reserve the right to ask an individual to not participate if in my opinion they are not prepared. Also everyone will be required to sign an ACA waiver which I will send in advance to ensure that each person has “time to consider the risk” before signing the waiver. There will be a $5 fee for non American Canoe Association members to cover the cost of insurance. You will need your ACA number on the day of the event to avoid this charge. If you are a Cossatot veteran and would like to help support this trip (as many of you have done in the past) please contact me as well to get the details on meeting times and places. I will not respond to questions about the trip on the board. Please contact me directly by e-mail of phone.

EAT WATER

hdh
Name: Harlan

Re: Cossatot Maiden Voyage

Post by hdh » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 pm

What about a little live music at the deer camp ( or somewhere)that night ... And the Cossatot race on Sunday

FELTONFEST 2014 !!!!!

Chris Handley said he would coordinate!!!!
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:11 am

Here! here! FeltonFest! :clap: :clap:
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

GN YAKN

Post by GN YAKN » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:37 am

Better watch out what you ask for, I heard Walter is into River Dance type music.

(Thread officially hijacked! Sorry Walter, Harlan started it!)
Dave Robertson

"Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.....
Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Josey Wales 1976 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRX6hSGeZs4

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:28 am

Ain't Felton Fest?
Bryan Signorelli

gannon311
Name: jeff gannon

Post by gannon311 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:05 pm

AFF does have a nice ring to it!!! Lol
http://community.webshots.com/user/gannon311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Post by Lupe » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:31 pm

I have to admit, I LOVE the Cossatot Maiden Voyage. It's just such an awesome experience to have super talented boaters surrounding the newbies, showing the lines, setting safety. It's just an incredible day to be a part of.

So with the help of several friends (Arthur Bowie, Chester Robinson, Lance Jones and Bryan Signorelli), we managed to dig out a grainy but fun video of the year of MY maiden voyage on the Cossatot.

Video was filmed by Lance on his Pentax camera (video is a whole new ballgame these days). Arthur and Chester had managed to keep track of a copy of the file, and Bryan uploaded it for me.

http://vimeo.com/90715273

By the way, your club President is in this video. Our Cossatot Maiden Voyage coordinator, the big man himself, Walter Felton is of course in this video (grainy or not...you won't miss Mr. Smooth Felton). That's Dale Barton I believe on safety there at cannonball rock at the Machine. And for those wondering about that poor gal who both flipped in the machine and then went down half of Whiplash upside down...she moved out of state and went on to become a class V boater.

Experienced boaters, newbie boaters...plan to come on out to enjoy an incredible event. If you are not ready to tackle the Tot, come on down and set yourself on the rocks to enjoy the show!

Enjoy!
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Dan Daniel

Post by Dan Daniel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 am

never mind
Last edited by Dan Daniel on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:45 am

We're happy for you but the odds of us driving 3.5 hours for a (crowded due to opening day) play wave is pretty slim. I'm sure we'll make it to the ford sooner or later though.
Bryan Signorelli

Dan Daniel

Post by Dan Daniel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:50 am

never mind.
Last edited by Dan Daniel on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:54 am

gannon311 wrote:AFF does have a nice ring to it!!! Lol
Agreed, but I'm torn between Ain't Felton Fest and Ain't Walter Fest. IMO AFF is a better acronym than AWF, but Ain't Walter Fest sure do roll off the tongue and even sounds like it could be the next Coen brothers flick. :think:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Twindad
Name: Tom Lewis

Post by Twindad » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:41 am

Given there isn't water in the Tot on Maiden Voyage Day every year, when was the last Voyage? Does anyone have a record of them all?

gannon311
Name: jeff gannon

Post by gannon311 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:07 pm

2 or 3 years ago
http://community.webshots.com/user/gannon311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rchasei
Name: Chase

Post by rchasei » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:12 am

This trip sounds fun. What better way to utilize WWS instruction than on a maiden voyage down a new-to-me river that I've always wanted to run? I can't think of one. I'll be there.

Walter Felton
ACC Member at Large

Post by Walter Felton » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:34 am

You guys are killing me with the acronyms next thing you know it will be TEFKABCMV (The Event Formally Known As Bullwinkle’s Cossatot Maiden Voyage) This event was actually started by a long time member of the ACC Max Wellhouse (aka Bullwinkle) who lives out of state now.

As for the last time we held the event, my records indicate that it was 2011 and the level was around 3.2 ft.. I have backed away from doing the trip over the past couple of years for several reasons. The main one was that I felt like so many people were running the Cossatot with other guidance that the demand had disappeared. Heather encouraged the ACC to revive the event this year to see if there was interest. Based on number of requests to join the trip as a first time that I have already received it looks like the demand is still there.

Thanks for posting the video, great to see so many having so much fun!

EAT WATER

Social Media