ACA L-4 Swiftwater Rescue Instructor Course

Open Discussion

OzarkTom
ACC Education Chair

ACA L-4 Swiftwater Rescue Instructor Course

Post by OzarkTom » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:06 pm

We will be holding a Level Four American Canoe Association Swiftwater Rescue Instructor Certification Workshop- March 28-30 and April 25-27. Both weekends will be held in Arkansas on the Ouachita and the Spring Rivers.

The Instructor Development Workshop (IDW) where candidates learn effective methods for teaching rescue skills will be the first weekend and the Instructor Certification Exam (ICE) where those skills and techniques will be refined and tested will be the second weekend.

To learn more about what is contained in this course, check out this link to the ACA website. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.americanca ... stcrit.pdf

The course cost will be 500 dollars. If you are a current ACC member and would like to participate, the Board of Directors has approved 250 dollar "scholarships" for up to 10 members who are willing to then assist the ACC instructing courses and functioning as safety personnel at our events.

If you are interested in participating, please contact me as soon as possible, as we are going to be putting this course together very quickly in order to meet time constraints. To assure enough candidates to fill the course, we will be opening it up to other clubs as well (but to be eligible for the scholarship, you must be a current ACC member).

For questions or registration, e-mail me at SwiftwaterRescue@gmail.com or call me at 479-595-1655

Best Regards,

Tom Burroughs
Tom Burroughs
Director,
Ozark Safety and Rescue Educators/
Clear Creek Paddlesports
SwiftwaterRescue@gmail.com

sig
Name: Bryan

Re: ACA L-4 Swiftwater Rescue Instructor Course

Post by sig » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Who will the instructors for the IDW and ICE be?
Bryan Signorelli

OzarkTom
ACC Education Chair

Post by OzarkTom » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Hey Bryan,

Excellent question!

These courses are quite a bit different in format that regular "skills courses". What we are doing is teaching our candidates how to teach the ACA program and skills, so we don't actually utilize very many instructors. I am the Instructor Trainer (IT) for the program, and will, as needed based on participant numbers, bring in another experienced instructor or two to assist on logistics and safety management.

As of today, there are five confirmed participants. If you know of anyone interested, we can still take several more, but due to the amount of preparation time, we encourage potential candidates to sign up as early as possible.

Hope that helps!
Tom Burroughs
Director,
Ozark Safety and Rescue Educators/
Clear Creek Paddlesports
SwiftwaterRescue@gmail.com

737driver
Name: Clay Cahoon

Post by 737driver » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:34 pm

I emailed you Tom about registration. I'd like to do it.
Clay Cahoon

Paddle solo, sleep tandem

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:26 am

Super fantastic course! Great folks- thanks for an intense weekend filled with learning and adventure. :clap:
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

737driver
Name: Clay Cahoon

Post by 737driver » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:43 pm

Great class! Can't wait for ICE.
Clay Cahoon

Paddle solo, sleep tandem

RobM
Name: Rob

Post by RobM » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:35 pm

Yeah , great weekend & excellent instructors , thanks Tom , Lorraine & Chris . Nice to work with the rest of the candidates too . I'm looking forward to ICE too Clay .
See ya on the water,
Rob

Social Media