GREAT weekend at Level 5 SWRC

Open Discussion

BHK Okie
Name: Terry Nixon

GREAT weekend at Level 5 SWRC

Post by BHK Okie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:17 am

Great time was had by all at Rockport this weekend at the level 5 SWRC ! BIG step up from the two level 4 SWRC's I've been to . If you've had the level 4 this is the next ( big ) step on the ladder and a "must do" . It will wear you out but it is all "hands on" which is a lot different than watching or being told . When you actually do it , it don't always work like it looks watching someone else do it . Very , very , valuable ! A big thanks to Tom , Lorraine , and everyone else there for all that info . Hope I never need it but I feel more comfortable about it if I do .

RobM
Name: Rob

Re: GREAT weekend at Level 5 SWRC

Post by RobM » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:24 pm

I will second that Terry, this is a must do class if u have already been to class 4 swr. There are things in this class u learn over & beyond level 4. hands- on! That sums it up It works out In theory of what is learned in level 4 yet, when out there rescuing the water has it's own mind what it wants you to do. This is a great way to learn and let the water work in your favor instead of against you & the victim. There is a lot of swimming rapids, getting wet & live bait rescuing . If I am ever out there with a friend or loved one & there in trouble I believe this class has given me a fighting chance to be able to save them. It's all in my muscle memory & my head now. The water will take control of you unless you know how to take control of it. Believe me you don't that until your in it . Imperative instruction for anyone that's on the river anytime they can & when the waters up. Big thank you to Tom ! This was a awesome class ! Also thanks to Lorraine all the great advice. Also to Adam for being there for our safety need & towing sweetness all over the river . :thumbup: :kayak:

Rob
See ya on the water,
Rob

adamm
Name: adam

Post by adamm » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:12 am

I was definitely glad to be there. I had taken a level 5 class last summer and enjoyed it. I guess I had forgotten how much I had forgotten until I came to this class. I think EVERYONE that paddles, should not only take both the level 4 and 5 course but take it periodically afterward to update yourself. These classes can not only help you save a victim but will also make you a better victim by learning skills to assist in or complete your own self rescue.

Everyone that is reading this needs to be properly trained in first aid, CPR and swift water rescue.
"Ok... set safety and watch me get stupid." Pierce

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:10 am

Like what Adam said, I took the level 4 class last fall and even after a few months you forget a lot of info. This class costs only $125 and is real world hands on rescue scenarios. There is no reason not to take a SWR class and take one at least once a year. I would trust any of the people I was with last weekend to rescue me if needed any day. Thanks to all the instructors and fellow participants for a great and informative weekend.

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 am

I loved every minute! It was very fun and extremely challenging. It was great being with everyone- thanks! 8)
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Social Media