Let's Talk About Dutch Oven Cooking: Update

Open Discussion
okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: Let's Talk About Dutch Oven Cooking (or lack thereof)

Post by okieboater » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:56 am

Mr Deuce is spot on with his observations on hard anodized dutch ovens.

For me, GSI is the best. Pay the money and enjoy them for the rest of your life.

I started out with the real deal cast iron from pittsburg TN not far from where I grew up over in North GA.

To me there is not a better Dutch oven than cast iron with the current world leader in quality from Lodge in Pittsburg TN.

Lodge has a outlet store down the street from the forge and it is worth a look see if you are headed to the Nanty or Ocoee as it is just 5 minutes or so off the interstate.

I found better deals on Lodge at the local Academy big box store or even Amazon.

I don't know how many DO's I have in the boat barn but they go from the ashtray size up to the 14 inch size which is more than I like to move around but bakes a ton of biscuits.

Cast iron heats up better, more uniform heating and is the choice for as Deuce allowed for biscuit, corn bread etc.

Cast iron is heavy, clean up is a pain unless well seasoned and they need to be oiled.

When the aluminum DO's came out, I tried them and liked the easy wash up.

When GSI hard anodized aluminum came out I fell in love with them. In my river trip york box along with all the utensils has two gsi twelves with a ten inside one DO and a Bundt cake mold in the other. I have a 14 as well and take it as needed. The 14 is ideal for a DO brisket and on layover days, is much requested dinner. Most of my DO cooking is now done in the GSI units, but when car camping I get out the cast iron and really enjoy them.

I can and do cook corn bread and biscuit in the GSI units and they do work well.

So for those whose experience with cast iron is not good with rust, seasoning, weight etc GSI is a good option.

New lodge cast iron has a factory seasoning in the box. I don't know how that works as I did my seasoning the old fashioned way (after smoking up the house in the oven) moved to the big gas grill with cover for hi temp seasoning with camp chef seasoning oil - have never looked back and all my cast iron has been seasoned by me or my good friend in DO cooking Vernon Seaman who has traveled to Cee Dub's clinic and turns out superb DO dishes. Vernon showed me the gas grill method and it is the bomb,

When me and Vernon or me and my long time best bud DO cooking partner Bobby Stout, get together on a trip, it is easy to turn out bunches of food easily. DO cooking is fun and as my other DO bud Catherine Tolson has opined "DO cooking is great for group fun. At Ozark Society CO trips she mixes stuff up, me and Bob to the cooking and Catherine gets the group setting around the fires eating a nice snack and with their favorite refreshment all the while making small talk and it is a great time"

For what it is worth, lots of reasons to try DO cooking and I just gave a few.

Thanks to Deuce for leading this discussion.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Let's Talk About Dutch Oven Cooking: Update

Post by Deuce » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:51 pm

I'm very grateful to everyone for the outstanding input. I wanted to let you all know that President Eubanks (that just sounds wrong for some reason :ROFL:) and I have been kicking this around for the last week or so and have found that there's a lot of interest in an annual fall Dutch Oven party put on by the Central chapter. Many thanks to the okieboatin' guy for the inspiration. We really wanted to put something together this fall, but despite the enthusiam shown for the idea every date we considered had too many conflicts and we quickly determined it was just too late to assemble anything for 2013. However, we're already brainstorming for a 2014 event, so stay tuned.
You come too.
Robert Frost

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm

You will be pleased to know that my lovely and charming has expressed interest in getting a DO for X-Mas. She may want some pointers.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:39 pm

GSI hard anodized alum size 12 will do the job for you and her as well
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

RussellPresley
Name: Russell Presley

Post by RussellPresley » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:39 am

How about some DO cooking and demonstration at Doctor Dales Halloween party?

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 am

RussellPresley wrote:How about some DO cooking and demonstration at Doctor Dales Halloween party?
There's usually a couple of guys (Britt and Mike from the Piney Creek Chapter) who cook in their ovens a couple of times during the weekend. Usually cobblers and such. Probably have mine up there as well.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

onewhopaddles

Post by onewhopaddles » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:53 am

Moniker wrote:I discovered a pack of Dutch Oven liners in one of my D.O.s Labor Day weekend.Forgot I had them,what a great invention.
Saves a lot of cleanup.

Absolutely. Parchment paper works too.

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:47 pm

What would be a good "starter" oven for two persons? A GSI hard anodized alum size 12?
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Probably just for two a GSI 10 would work best.

But, for me the GSI 12 is a good all around size. Just put less in for a few people.

I think most recipes I see posted are sized for a GSI 12.

A GSI 12 will hold a standard Duncan Hines cake mix just about perfectly.

I once put a standard cake mix in a GSI 10 and it filled the DO to the lid.

I am recommending a GSI hard anodized DO as I know you do a lot of rafting. The benefit of the GSI is it washes up like regular dishes and is light weight as compared to a Lodge Cast Iron.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

RussellPresley
Name: Russell Presley

Post by RussellPresley » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:26 am

Maybe a little to late ,but The Ozark Folk Center at Mountain View is haveing a Dutch Oven class this weekend.

Social Media