Cadron Creek

Recreational and touring boaters

SSS12
Name: Steven

Cadron Creek

Post by SSS12 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 am

Hello,
I was at North Cadron Creek at Highway 65 access to check water level yesterday and noticed oil booms/absorbants tied accross the creek. Anyone know why? Was there an oil/chemical spill in the creek?

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Cadron Creek

Post by Cowper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Excellent question. Has anybody learned more? They don't put those out for giggles, there must be something going on!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

we66erno1
Name: doug webber

Post by we66erno1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm going tomorrow to investigate
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

Cadron Boy
Name: John Svendsen

Post by Cadron Boy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:20 am

Poor Cadron! Tis' a much used and abused waterway.

I have contacted ADEQ no less than half dozen times over the past few days and still haven't gotten an answer. The ADEQ water quality inspector for Faulkner county and Cadron River at 65 bridge is Travis Harmon and he too has been contacted no less than three times since ADEQ opened Monday morning. He can be reached -- I mean a phone message can be left -- at 479-968-7339 (Ext. 16). If ever he or anyone with ADEQ responds to messages and requests I will certainly leave a post.

The boom is clean and no reports of any spills have come my way -- effluent from Arkansas Saltwater Recycling and Rogers Quarry both dump into the creek just upstream of the boom. There are also 3-4 well heads in the nearby vicinity and to the NE lies a large staging area for oil and gas exploration including holding tanks, etc. Many possible sources for an "accident". I'd like to think the boom is simply a precautionary measure -- or is being used for "diagnostic/testing purposes -- regardless it certainly denotes a risk.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Mr. Harmon. This is what we know -- the boom has been pulled up; it is no longer on site. There is no report of any spills to ADEQ from any of the nearby operations -- oil/gas/quarry -- nor any evidence of a spill. Mr. Harmon believes that the boom was put in place due to a possibility of some contaminant, possible diesel fuel or petro-products, of reaching the creek proper and that it was otherwise contained on site or that is was a "practice run". He will examine and monitor the site throughout the morning but that he himself is not responsible for a lot of the oil and gas endeavors within the vicinity as ADEQ hires other inspectors to oversee those operations; nevertheless, he will be making further inquiries.

SSS12
Name: Steven

Post by SSS12 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Good to hear if it was just a practice response. I did not see any oil sheen in the water channel but did see some sheen on the trickling water to the right side of the concrete north ramp. I have canoed this creek a couple times but it has been 12+ years ago. Is the best float still upriver and down to Highway 65 access or is another section worth seeing/fishing? I can't handle anything much over Class II. My Native WC 12 takes water pretty easy.

Happy Paddeling

Cadron Boy

Post by Cadron Boy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:19 pm

"Is the best float still upriver and down to Highway 65 access ?"

It all be good!! The stretch from Batesville Mountain/Pinnacle Springs/CCO to Highway 65 offers the greatest concentration of "playwaves" per mile while the stretch from Hartwick Mill bridge to Highway 285 bridge is considered the "best of the Cadron" however I find a lot of pleasure in paddling all the way from Gravesville to the Springfield bridge. Below Malletown (Highway 285 bridge) the Cadron is sadly a "dump" with near continuous flotsam of trash all the way to the Arkanas river -- reminiscent of Fourche Creek in Little Rock where one questions: is it a waterway or a conduit for trash? However, if you can blind yourself to the trash that lines the bank it's a wonderful stream all the way to the mouth of the East Fork which then dumps in a load of sediment. Tangent: Muddy Creek, a major tributary to the East Fork has been muddy since the dawn of time so can't blame it all on agri or development, rather geology is to blame. However both the upper East Fork and the Middle Fork offer wonderful paddling experiences as well.

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Thu May 02, 2013 8:39 am

Is this article the reason for the boom? I saw Debo shared this scan on FB from the HAWK Center.
image.jpg
Bryan Signorelli

DeBo

Post by DeBo » Thu May 02, 2013 11:10 pm

I did some exploring today. The place where the truck turned over is downstream of the HWY 65 bridge, so I don't know why there would be a boom there unless it was just a mistake. Just eyeing the water at Hwy 285, it looks fine. ADEQ says it was cleaned up and not much got in the creek. I will let you know if I find out more.
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine

Cadron Boy

Post by Cadron Boy » Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 am

FYI:

Response from Mr. Thomas Hunting, Controlled Substance Contaminated Property Cleanup Coordinator:

A boom was placed near the crossing of 65 and cadron creek south of twin grove by one of the initial emergency response teams that responded to the accident east of gravesville on 124 at cadron creek. It was a precautionary response to the accident as it was some distance away. As stated in the paper two other booms were placed much nearer to the site of the release. All of the booms should have been removed by now. I will check for you when I get back to the office next week. Our water division is the lead division on the investigation for this spill. I will forward your request for more information to them. I am uncertain about the notification process if required in an emergency situation ADEM may handle these procedures I will inquire for you.

The last sentence is his response to a request that a notification system be developed to alert citizens living on the creek or dependent on the creek of spills of this nature. It would have been very easy for myself, children, pets and livestock to be unknowingly exposed to toxic contaminants in the absence of such notification. I just wish the people of this state had the same level of protection granted to the caribou living in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

FYI: If ever needed in the future -- Thomas Hunting can be contacted at (501) 683-1552 or HUNTING@adeq.state.ar.us.

Wildwood
Name: Jan Johnson

Post by Wildwood » Mon May 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Yep, spill was between Quitman and Gravesville on 124, not below 65 bridge. Real steep hill there, with a curve on the west side. There was a wreck there a few years ago by the 124 bridge and lots of paint was spilled. Bad section of road.
Jan
Jan Johnson

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave intending to arrive safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a paddle in your hands, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Social Media