Women's Creek Week Trip Report

Open Discussion

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Women's Creek Week Trip Report

Post by kayakmamma » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 am

This week I joined Girls at Play for a women's clinic on a handful of creeks near Asheville, NC.
What a blast!
Monday - Big Laurel Creek and a couple of rapids on the French Broad (Frank Bells) where the creek and river meet.
Tuesday - Upper Green
Wednesday - Wilson Creek
Thursday - North Fork of the French Broad
Friday - Green Narrows (Black Water Falls on down)

The clinic was $650 and included a lot of instruction, guiding, lunch and transport to/from the river each day.
Wilson Creek was spectacular!!! Easily one of my favorite runs ever. The most challenging was the North Fork of the French Broad. I feel especially accomplished doing well on a section called, "The Clog". It demanded all my boating skills and I felt really good about successfully negotiating that stretch. It was fantastic!! The Green Narrows was a bit of a bust for me- it plays harder than I do, I guess. We had boofing practice there for a couple of hours at Blackwater falls (following a knarly hike in), and then moved downstream. I was tired and not paddling well that day. I broached upside down in little Sunshine :crazy: and ended up in a swim. Ah well-- next time!!
It was inspiring paddling with some of the best female paddlers in the world- Anna, Adrian, Emily, and I have new lifelong friendships with the other participants. It was a great way to spend my 45th birthday. :yahoo: Awesome week!
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

we66erno1
Name: doug webber

Re: Women's Creek Week Trip Report

Post by we66erno1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:04 am

Always amazed by what you do. :clap:
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

BHK Okie
Name: Terry Nixon

Post by BHK Okie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Amazed is thge right word . She embarrassed all of us at the swiftwater rescue clinic this weekend also . When everyone else was tired and cold she's the first one in the water . I hope I'm as tough as Lorraine when I grow up !! :oops: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ARzach

Post by ARzach » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Nice!

Wilson is one of my favorite creeks around. Did you get to do the big rock-slide below ten-foot? Dang, that creek is so fun!

NFFB is also a gem. We actually had to evac a lady to the ER after a pretty terrible shoulder dislocation after a poor line in the clog a few years back. Glad to hear you were more successful. Anybody fire up Boxcar?

Cheers!

--Z
Smile, summer run-off is coming!!!

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks ya'll!! It was a super fun trip. Yes, Wilson Creek was spectacular, and we ran all of it. On the North Fork of the FB, we all had good lines off of Boxcar, which we scouted carefully, and seemed to demand "balls" (which were admittedly scarce on the ground in our group ;) ) and a very solid left stroke boof. I loved it.
Thanks Terry--SWR is awesome. It was so nice seeing you again!! :grin:
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Social Media