ACA Canoe Instructor Workshop

Open Discussion

Walter Felton
ACC Member at Large

ACA Canoe Instructor Workshop

Post by Walter Felton » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:23 am

The Arkansas Canoe Club will be sponsoring an American Canoe Association Whitewater Canoe Instructor Certification Workshop this spring. The training will be led by Instructor Trainer Walter Felton with assistance from several current American Canoe Association instructors. The process will include both solo and tandem canoe.

This event will take place over two long weekends with the Instructor Development Workshop beginning at 10 AM on Friday, April 5, 2013 and running until late Sunday afternoon. The IDW allows the instructor candidate an opportunity to start developing the teaching skills required for certification. The Instructor Certification Exam will begin at 10 AM Friday, April 19, 2013 and run until late afternoon on the following Sunday. Certification in this course will be possible up to the Whitewater Level. The criteria for certification at each level is available at http://www.americancanoe.org/?page=Instructor_Criteria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in the River Canoe section

The IDW weekend will be held in the Mulberry River area. Dave and Cindy Robertson have offered their property as the base of operations for classroom and camping. The location of the ICE has not yet been determined but travel to a location with adequate water for the level of certification may be required. It is our intention to hold both parts in Arkansas but that is not guaranteed. In the event that there is not enough water for the exam weekend there is a possibility that we might have to travel out east.

The cost of the training for both weekends to the candidates will be $300 for ACC members and $450 for non members. This training is heavily subsidized by the ACC so we would ask that if you take advantage of the ACC member price you commit to help with Canoe School in the future. There may also be some logistical support provided (housing and meal) by the ACC but those details are yet to be worked out.

If you are interested in being part of this training please contact Walter Felton by e-mail at wfelton@ipa.net asap so that I can start compiling a list of participants.

Walter Felton

Walter Felton
ACC Member at Large

Re: ACA Canoe Instructor Workshop

Post by Walter Felton » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:00 pm

BUMP

GN YAKN

Post by GN YAKN » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Sticky!?
Dave Robertson

"Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.....
Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Josey Wales 1976 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRX6hSGeZs4

Walter Felton
ACC Member at Large

Post by Walter Felton » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:57 pm

BUMP

SteveGabbard
Name: Steve Gabbard

Post by SteveGabbard » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Sticky x2

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:44 pm

I've got my best man on it. Will happen when he gets a minute.

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

Regud
NW AR Chapter President
Name: Ryan Dugger

Post by Regud » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:26 pm

You are now stuck! Sorry... I rarely read any topics that have to do with canoes. :poke2:
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:19 pm

How was it?! Did all participants survive? :thumbup:
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:33 pm

I was there on Friday only. By the end of they day everyone was already tired, but I believe still in excellent spirits! :grin:
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

T Yamashita
Piney Creeks Chapter President

Post by T Yamashita » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 am

It was great: good site, good review of topics, good weather, good river water, etc....

Yeeha! ty :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Social Media