Chapter camping locations for WW school?

Open Discussion
Adam Willard
Name: Adam Willard

Chapter camping locations for WW school?

Post by Adam Willard » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Im needing each chapter President to take a look at the Turner Bend map and let me know what number site you camp on for WW School. Thanks for your help.
http://turnerbend.com/wp-content/upload ... nd-map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sincerely,
Adam Willard

Regud
NW AR Chapter President
Name: Ryan Dugger

Re: Chapter camping locations for WW school?

Post by Regud » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:03 pm

NW is usually 9 & 10
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

Roger

Post by Roger » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Not the chapter preznit :whistle: , but the Piney Creek Chapter Shuttle Kings usually camp down by the creek under the bridge (in a van)! That would be last campsite on the north end of campgrounds. Not sure of the number.
Last edited by Roger on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Don't forget to reserve the overflow area near the stairs for the catfish fry setup.

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:25 pm

Under the small pavilion across from and a little south from the fish fry (where we were last year), i think it is site #8?? for the North Texas River Runner's please! :)
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 pm

What Roger said. I don't have the long history of School of Whitewater paddling (tefcacs), but Central chapter camping and shenanigans have always been in that vicinity. We do express the right to randomly distribute ourselves and our shenanigans, however.

maggiepowell
Name: Maggie

Post by maggiepowell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Lots of people choose their own campsites without regard to chapter location. Lots of times it seems to be first come, first pick.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:25 pm

Since I have been going to Canoe School (I refuse to use the other name) since before most of you were born, I always thought it was first come first choice altho some chapters seem to get there early and stake out the same spot most years.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Regud
NW AR Chapter President
Name: Ryan Dugger

Post by Regud » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 am

Just to clarify things... Adam is changing a few things up this year for Canoe School. One thing being, we are looking at having a welcoming tent. This way we can direct first timers to the general area of where their chapter is camping. Just another way to get first timers engaged with others.
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

GN YAKN

Post by GN YAKN » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:54 pm

One of the best things you learn during instructor training is to be reminded of what it is like to be a beginner and have zero knowledge. Many of us have been attending this event forever and may forget what it is like to show up at Turner Bend and be totally clueless. Some of the feedback received over recent years has indicated that we need to make sure we take care of our students as much as possible from the first moment that they emerge from their vehicle after arriving.

So, the welcome tent and plenty of signage are going to be great additions that should help our students and new members find their way around. Knowing where chapters are located or concentrated will be helpful in finding friends and instructors. Maybe a bit more organized than in the past, but I'm pretty sure this has been going on for some time with folks calling Turner Bend and asking them to reserve their traditional sights or by folks just showing up early and making sure they get their traditional spots. Adam just wants to get an idea of what those traditions are so he can inform our students.

I would suggest that we also have our seasoned and informed members wear high vis orange or yellow t-shirts that are emblazoned with, ASK ME! I would be happy to refrain from adult beverages long enough to help some newbies get acclimated if someone thinks this idea has merit and wants to run with it!

The new and fresh ideas that are being formulated by our next generation of leadership should help the event formerly known as Canoe School continue on for another 37 glorious years! See you very soon at the Bend.

Dave (Ask Me) Robertson
Dave Robertson

"Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.....
Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Josey Wales 1976 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRX6hSGeZs4

Jim E
Name: Jim Enns

Post by Jim E » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Well said Dave!!!
Cannot have enough info for those that have never been to the school yet alone Turners Bend!!

I would also like to encourage everyone to accept and work with any possible changes/ideas that the new leadership might have! Just because it "used" to be done this way or that way doesn't mean it can't be done any other way...
Just living the liquid lifestyle!!!

Jim Enns <*)))))))))><

Liz Caldwell

Post by Liz Caldwell » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:52 pm

What Tim said about the Central Chapter ... we like to spread the love, but some of us congregate in #11 and #12. The shuttle crew is usually in #14.

GN YAKN and Jim E, Ryan and the rest are right on track. We want to reach out to the new folks and make them feel welcome. Adam and Lisa are putting a lot of thought and energy into some great ideas for this year and I can already feel the excitement!
Liz

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:09 pm

Y'all are making me want to find one of them little funny looking canoes so I can go to school. Already got me a paddle that says Werner on it. Finally even paid Wes for it. :wht:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:12 pm

OOO would like to request its usual spot...not sure what number campsite it is, but it is usually where the Ark-La-Tex sets up...Need those big pine trees for the Hammock Set-Up...BTW, if you'd like the welcome tent next door to us, we'll be happy to volunteer to man it as well.

Just to the north of Campsite #2
"For the last word in procrastination, go travel a river reluctant to lose his freedom to the sea."
-Aldo Leopold

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 pm

North Texas River Runner's will volunteer and make up the "ASK ME" tee shirts. Let us know how many and should they all be extra large to accomadate beer bellies? :beer2:
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Social Media