Wave Sport Fuse 64

Open Discussion

BigJayH3
Name: Jason Russell

Wave Sport Fuse 64

Post by BigJayH3 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 pm

I'm kind of interested in the fuse 64 and was wondering if anyone has one or has paddled one and what you think of the boat. Also it would be kind of cool to try one out before I bought one.

Thanks,
Jason
A little pain never hurt anyone.

jes
Name: jes

Re: Wave Sport Fuse 64

Post by jes » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:04 pm

I have the size smaller. I like it, a little edgey,but I knew that when I bought it. i'm not a serious playboater, and the idea of a playful river- runner was what I wanted. Use it mainly on class 2 stuff, but i did take it down Wilson Creek once. Endless River Adventure in Nantahala gorge may have some demos on sale soon,if you are up to driving out to see them.

MaxTexan
Name: dave

Post by MaxTexan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 pm

I have routinely paddle a super ez since they came out, but I have had a fuse 64. A little smaller in volume than the super ez (width is 1 inch or so less). But fuse has very similar performance to super ez. That being said,,, if you are less than 220#, go for the smaller size. The outfitting of the fuse 64 is much better than the super ez. The fuse tends not to have the problems of either the ezg 60 (cockpit plastic being thin) or the super ez (seat bolts wearing through the hull).

I liked the fuse a lot..... the super ez is just a bit wider thus it felts a bit more stable. I sold my fuse when I tore ligaments in my wrist and I thought my paddling days were done. I am thnkning of buying one to replace my supoer ez if I can find the one I want.
'
Playful... surfs well, spins well, bow stalls good, stern squirts. River running... Class II-III great. Big river paddling I would want something else. Great fun on the Nanty... Ocoee good at the play spots... big stuff.. ok

The earlier comment about ERA is correct. Also on boater talk yuo can find fuse 64 in the SE for sale that you could pick up.

BigJayH3

Post by BigJayH3 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks for the input guys, maybe some time I will actually be able to make it out east to demo one, haven't been able to go that way for probably three or four years now. I only weigh in at 180# when geared up, but with 38" inseam and size 14 kicks I'm usually forced to go with the biggest size boat just to fit without dislocating something. :D

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:16 am

AS I recall the Fuse does not have a foot brace/peg. It is supplied with a foam insert for the bow. So you can arrange that to fit your feet fairly easliy. At your hight with the older super ez you need to remove the foot brace to be comfy. I do at 6 3, size 12, but I get my seat pretty far forward.

At your weight getting the bow down will be harder than for me at 230. Technique can make up for weight. BUt the surf, spin and sternmoves should be fine at 180#.

Jackson's superfun is a it bigger than the fuse 64. It also seems to me to be a bit edgier... less stable in big water. Aother choice (older) is a wavesport t-4. With the foot brace out, that boat has a big front foot area.

jes
Name: jes

Post by jes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:30 pm

MaxTexan is correct about the foam/minicell that fits into the bow. I had add some minicell blocks in the bow of my 56 to have a good fit. Unlike the two of you , I have the opposite problem- my legs are usually too short for a good fit without some modifications.

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:22 pm

I noticed this monring (8/25) that many of the larger kayak suppliers are havinga sale on the fuse 64 for in stock colors. From what I saw CKS had the dealing, about $870 with shipping. Zoar had a lower price ($799) but about $880 with shipping.

BigJayH3

Post by BigJayH3 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:13 am

Wavesport is releasing their new outfitting in October, available in all models. Looks like I'm gonna wait till then to buy. [url] http://www.wavesport.com/news_item/inde ... utfitting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; /[url]

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:18 am

That explains it; very interesting outfitting.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Some feed back for what it is worth on the Fuse.

I kayak quite a bit with a group of kayakers from the west NC - east TN - north GA - areas.

Many of them have been long time fans of the WS Diesel with a few fans of the Remix series. All are excellent kayakers most boating for a long time.

Recently several have added the WS Fuse to their boat stable. Reasons I hear most are light weight (easier to carry up from various spots on the Chattooga or Lower Yough etc), good down river running performance and more play than the Diesels/Remix type kayaks. They have no plans to get rid of their Diesels or Remixs but are just adding the Fuse for the reasons I stated above.

I have zero space left in the boat barn, but am interested in getting a longer term feedback on the Fuse. May have to sell something!!!!
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:46 pm

The Fuse has better river running ability than the ZG or T series and maybe better than the EZG or EZ series without giving up much on play. In the larger size I like the little extra width that the Super EZ or T 4 has. I think it makes spinning a bit easier. But at lower down river speed.

I would take the FUse down the Ocoee...maybe running some of the easier lines. I am not sure that I would use the Fuse on Sugar Creek at a high level rather have my Habitat, Y or Mamba for that.

WHen I moved to West TX, I figured I only need one boat and the Fuse would be it. Partially based on the idea that whitewater parks were the closest whitewater.

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Hey MaxTex, not sure where you are in West Texas. But, the Taos Lower Box and Pilar roadside are places I try to hit every May plus Rio Chama. Salt River AZ is a bit longer drive probably, but is a hoot in April, another of my favorite multi day runs. Then if you have access to a canoe, November multi days on Big Bend Rio Grande is another favorite.

I know many years ago when I moved from North Georgia to Tulsa, I felt my WW trips were gonna be few and far between. Then, I found the ACC and Arkansas Creeks in the fall and spring and ended up boating more than ever.

I admit making the long drive that folks like you and I must do to boat is becoming a expensive thing to do with gas prices doubling in the last few years, but we can still find good times!
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Okieboater,

I am in Amarillo the last 4 years... prior to that in Greenwood AR.

My biggest problem with paddling since I moved here was a serious right wrist injury in February 2009. Last summer was the first time I was able to paddle since. The second problem is having a four year old at home.

I managed to get to the Pilar section a few times in the past year. I find it to a be a hoot of a run. However the lack of snow has really hampered southern Rockie paddling this summer.

I can foresee a future when my daugther is in school being able to get away during the work week either back to AR or elsewhere.

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Yup, I was out there at the state park for a week this may. Pilar was low but some of the guys IK'ed a couple times and we got lucky on a Rio Chama in week trip and they released a bunch of irrigation water so we had a three day Rio Chama to enjoy.

Used to run Sugar Creek a bunch when ole Dennis made that run popular back in the day.

Take care, maybe see you on Pilar next year.....
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Hopefully to see you on the river;

Dennis also showed me quite abit about Jack and SUgar creeks. I worked about 8 miles from the takeout of the two so afternoon trips were possibly.

Social Media