Crooked Creek Snow-Kelly's Slab 4/28-29

Recreational and touring boaters

plastic worm

Crooked Creek Snow-Kelly's Slab 4/28-29

Post by plastic worm » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:34 am

Great weekend for camping and fishing. Not many other people on the water. The river was low, my kayak drug alot...had to walk some. The fishing was good on Saturday but was fantastic on Sunday. Most fish were in the 2-2.75 lb range w/ 1 over 3 lbs (20.5") and a Lm at 2.66lbs. Can't wait to get back but need some rain in the area first.
Attachments
2.75 crooked creek 4-2012.jpg
2.64 bass.jpg
Blog@: http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FB@: https://www.facebook.com/looknfishy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IG@: https://instagram.com/looknfishy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RiverRummer
Name: BUH

Re: Crooked Creek Snow-Kelly's Slab 4/28-29

Post by RiverRummer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks for the pics, sounds like a good time. could you please tell me where crooked creek is? i'm wondering if this is crooked creek around Harrison,Ar. or if you went to a different "crooked creek" that i'm not aware of. I'm not familiar with the accesses to know which creek you are going to?... I only know of the crooked creek near Harrison, but don't know any access names of it or of a possibly different one? Hope you can clear this up for me.
Thanks

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:41 am

Cool. That was quite a hike for you PW. Did you camp on a gravel bar?
You come too.
Robert Frost

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:57 am

Nice looking string of fish!

Did any of them end up in a fry pan, maybe some clarified butter and toasted almonds added for added flavor?

I'm thinking a nice green salad a bottle of river cooled white wine and you got a nice meal there!
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:00 am

Rummer, that is the same Crooked Creek that runs through Harrison. I caught my weight in pumpkinseeds and goggleeye there when I was a pup fishing from the low water bridge. I was the kid with a full stringer hanging from a handle bar. :grin: There are a few public accesses. Check southwestpaddler.com to locate them.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:02 am

okieboater wrote:Nice looking string of fish!

Did any of them end up in a fry pan, maybe some clarified butter and toasted almonds added for added flavor?

I'm thinking a nice green salad a bottle of river cooled white wine and you got a nice meal there!
Followed by a nice DO cobbler made with wild blackberries. :drool2:
You come too.
Robert Frost

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 am

Now you are talking!

As a kid back in North GA farm, we picked bucket after bucket of wild black berries each season which Mom made into cobblers and jam.

Homemade black berry jam on Mom's biscuits cooked on her wood stove, I can still remember how good a breakfast that was.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

plastic worm

Post by plastic worm » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:38 am

RR-it's the same river. Snow access is off hwy62 east of Pyatt, Ar. Kelly's slab is at the "Fred Berry" AGFC conservation education center in Yellville, AR.

Deuce-it's a trip but I've been floating ozark rivers's for almost 27 yrs (my dad started taking me at 7) and I would drive from anywhere to float/fish them. Gravel bar, only way to go. See pic

Okie-sorry I'm strictly catch-n-release...except catfish and crappie. So they're still in the river for my kids...when they get a little older.
Attachments
camp on Crooked creek 2012.jpg
Blog@: http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FB@: https://www.facebook.com/looknfishy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IG@: https://instagram.com/looknfishy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Well, Crappie would work just as well!

When we lived in Utah, I did a lot of trout fishing mostly catch and release, however, it was nice to keep a few for my wife and I to enjoy by the camp fire in the High Uinta Wilderness Area. A great place to hike and just full of little lakes built way back when they did a lot of the work by hand or with mule power.

Growing up in GA, we made hangers for our fishing boat out of electric conduit tubing and hung a couple coleman lanterns off the side and fished for crappie at night.

spent a lot of fun friday nights catching crappie, taking them home, fileting out the meat and doing multi family fish fry events. We had a decent sized iron pot that Mom would use outside (we would build a wood fire around it) and cook up crappie, hush puppies and taters. That and sweet tea made for quite a nice Sat gathering.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

Half Ton
Name: J Herrick P

Post by Half Ton » Tue May 01, 2012 8:36 pm

One of the best bronzeback streams in the state for certain.

Glad to hear its still doable right now. Thanks for the report!
"The challenge goes on. There are other lands and rivers, other wilderness areas, to save and to share with all. I challenge you to step forward to protect and care for the wild places you love best"

- Neil Compton

arfish
Name: T.J.

Post by arfish » Fri May 11, 2012 8:16 am

Plastic Worm,

Glad you released those smallies. CC is getting to be a pretty good fishery. I'm like you, never keep river smallies, but love crappie, walleye, etc caught from lakes. I've never caught one over 20" which is my goal for this year. Any tips?

arfish
Name: T.J.

Post by arfish » Fri May 11, 2012 8:23 am

Plastic Worm,

Glad you released those smallies. CC is getting to be a pretty good fishery. I'm like you, never keep river smallies, but love crappie, walleye, etc caught from lakes. I've never caught one over 20" which is my goal for this year. Any tips?

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Fri May 11, 2012 8:25 am

arfish wrote:Plastic Worm,

I'm no Plastic Worm :poke2: , but in my experience it's hard to beat a green pumpkin tube on a jighead. Here a a couple of examples in support of my assertion.
Attachments
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG (56.8 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG (47.43 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
You come too.
Robert Frost

plastic worm

Post by plastic worm » Fri May 11, 2012 3:18 pm

Nice fish, and a little friendly ribbing!! I've done really good on tubes. My favorite is a craw. I'm no expert but I would suggest using bigger baits. I don't downsize for smallies, I use the same size I would for LM's. You won't catch as many but when you do it'll be a good fish. Plus you can catch LM and smallies on the same trip.
Attachments
2.66 lgmouth bass crooked creek 4-2012.jpg

Social Media