Recommended floats around Branson, MO?

Recreational and touring boaters

flatlander44
Name: Joe

Recommended floats around Branson, MO?

Post by flatlander44 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 pm

My retired folks are getting a condo in Branson for a month beginning March 17. I want to take my Wenonah Solo Plus and do some day tripping on some Class I rivers (maybe an easy Class II) that are close by. :canoe:

I'm more interested in scenery than whitewater, but like the occassional ripple or two. Years ago I floated the Buffalo from Steel Creek to Kyle's Landing and would love to do it again if the water is right. However, I would like some other options that are closer to Branson in case the Buffalo won't work for some reason.

Any suggestions? I'm coming from KS so west of Branson appeals to me more since my visits will probably be on long weekends.

Thanks!

Jim Krueger

Re: Recommended floats around Branson, MO?

Post by Jim Krueger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:11 pm

My recommendation is to pick up a copy of 'A Paddlers Guide To Missouri'. They list streams throughout Missouri. We often go to the area just South of Branson, and Springfield on occasion and I know the James River is in that area
although I've never floated it myself.

Best Regards
jim

ROBERT GEORGE SCHARNHORST
Name: rgs

Post by ROBERT GEORGE SCHARNHORST » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:21 pm

a paddler's guide to mo. is a great book. u can pick up at bass pro.. anytime u whant todo the pomme de terre river (hwy 32 to cty rd.120 12.5 mi.) or weaubleau creek, these r both north of springfield. gasconade river ( camp branch to mayfield springs 30 mi.) west of springfield, send me a message or call 870-329-1159. i would drive up for these or a few around jeff. city.

robert

flatlander44
Name: Joe

Post by flatlander44 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks for the tips.

Looked up the Paddler's Guide to MO on Amazon. $199 from 3 sellers. Thought that was a bit pricey, but noted that if I sell the book back to Amazon they will give me $5 of credit. What a deal!!! :yahoo:

I think I may be trying to pick up a copy at Bass Pro after all.

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:36 am

The Missouri Paddlers Guide is a publication of the Missouri Department of Conservation. The copy we have was purchased at Bass Pro Shop in Springfield on a trip there several years ago. Price sticker on the back indicates $5.95 at that time. http://www.conseveration.state.mo.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you're in central Ark., we have Turbyfield Sports here in Benton that is a Bass Pro Shop annex of sorts, they can order anything from them.

Best Regards
Jim

Wildwood
Name: Jan Johnson

Post by Wildwood » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Elk River, near Jane, MO is good. Even better is Kings River out of Eureka Springs AR. First river I ever paddled. Also, White River just below Beaver Dam near Eureka is a good Class I float. Kings River has better scenery. Of course, the Buffalo is my favorite, anywhere from Baker Ford to Rush would make you happy, I bet.
Jan
Jan Johnson

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave intending to arrive safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a paddle in your hands, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Al Donaldson

Re: The Missouri Paddlers Guide

Post by Al Donaldson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm

All:

While the above guide in pretty handy, be aware that most of the information in it is quite outdated. If you follow it to some noted accesses, you will find a lot of "no trespassing" signs and such. River mileages, I think, were included on the maps before GPS usage was common, so most of them seem to be "WAGs" (estimates.)

Electronic versions of the river guides in that book may be found at:
http://www.missouricanoe.org/map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back to the original question, however, not too far from Branson to the northeast (75 miles as the crane flies) is the Big Piney River (as distinguished from Arkansas' Big Piney Creek), and it is a fine (and pretty much unknown) stream for paddling in the springtime.

Hope this helps.

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:50 am

But, if you go to the Piney be ware of a little fellow from Texas who will come out and start telling you jokes. :ROFL:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Al Donaldson

Re: Jokes

Post by Al Donaldson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Luke is absolutely right. Gary (near Boiling Springs) knows more than a few.

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:45 pm

I would call to make sure the condo is still there after the tornado that went through there. I do not know how wide spread the damages were, but the news channels seem to indicate that it cut quite a swath and got several areas.

Hope their condo survived and you have many trips up there to tell us about. Be sure to take pictures for us to see. Been up on the Big Piney once and it was very beautiful and well worth going back up to, thanks to Al and Ana Donaldson.

There are several streams up there.

Eric Esche

ROBERT GEORGE SCHARNHORST
Name: rgs

Post by ROBERT GEORGE SCHARNHORST » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:22 pm

my copies cost me 5.95 each and since u are coming from ks. u have to pass right by bass pro in springfild to get to branson. i have paddled over half the rivers in mo. and have used it everytime and find it very accurate. i also have a first addition autograghed by the writer (this one does have mistakes). since then the mdc has taken it over and added rivers (for the annivery lewis and clark trip) and made it into a spiral notebook type. i do not use gps i am more of a lewis and clark then a buck rodgers paddler. the ozark wilderness waterways canoe club out of kanas city always use it. i am a member of that club too. the closest rivers to branson with any fun stuff would be beaver, bull, or swan. i have completed all of these. if u are still going to branson give me a call. robert 870-329-1159

DanMo
Name: Dan

Post by DanMo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:28 pm

I highly recomend Beaver creek that goes through kisee mills, class 1 but good wilderness feel since it goes through a large section of national forest. If there is a little rain bull creek is fun with a little class II. I also like Crane creek that goes through crane missouri, I do the lower section where it empties into the james river. The dirty old James could be an option, just don't get any water near your mouth. Since branson is basically on the white river, you kind of have to travel a little bit to get to other rivers. These creeks are on the paddlers guide to missouri. (I think)
Dan

perspective7
Name: Seth

Post by perspective7 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:14 pm

I second Beaver creek...excellent fishing with a two day optional float. There is also Beaver canoe rental in Brownbranch, MO that shuttles. Phone is 417-796-2336 :beer2:

Social Media