WTB: White Water (SOT) Kayak

Post paddling related items for sale here or items you are looking for.
Commercial Members feel free to post your sale items here as well.
wpowell
Name: Wade

Re: WTB: White Water (SOT) Kayak

Post by wpowell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Hey sis that perception torrent sounds just like what you need.

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm

I've been on many floats where folks were paddling various SOTs and it's my opinion they all would do better in more WW settings if only they were useing these boats in combination with thigh straps. Many of the better SOTs have them as optional equipment. (Knee braces are one of the main features we use in conventional kayaks to control them, thigh straps are used in the same way in SOTs to achieve this control but I seldom see them purchased or used?) Without any way to brace it just seems a paddler would easily loose their balance, or just plain 'lever' themselves right out while trying to manuver. Other than this lack of outfitting, many SOTs, from the cheaper ones to the more expensive ones would have so much more potential. To me, this one feature makes the difference in a SOT being more usable for WW paddling and one that's just used for more recreational trips. Comments?

Best Regards
Jim

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:43 am

Exactly Right, Jim!

Extremely difficult to get to "Boating on the Edge" runs in kayaks without some type of brace structure for the knees / thighs.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

ktmusa45
Name: Jay

Post by ktmusa45 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:10 am

Hey Jan,
Ive used the coupe mainly on the mulberry so I dont think you would have any problems on the piney. It's been great. Paddle a lot on the Illinois and it's about the only thing I will take on it anymore to paddle on it anymore. Super fun and easy to paddle.

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:55 pm

http://boatertalk.com/gear/gear-detail.php?gid=62473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Torrent in Ga

lpowell
Name: LAURA

Post by lpowell » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:51 pm

Cowper - Ouch! Is that a nose? :wht:

druse - Thanks!

spatterson - Ill check it out. Hope I dont miss your FS post!

lpowell

Post by lpowell » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Hey Bro! Yeah, looks like it!
:thumbup:

lpowell

Post by lpowell » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Jim,
I just love that the water runs through a SOT. Kinda sucks on a real cold day, but not much dumping involved. I plan to try out a conventional kayak this year. I may end up loving it. I will definitely get some thigh straps - Thanks!

Dannyboy
Name: Danny

Post by Dannyboy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:11 pm

I own two of the Perception Torrents, have for about 5 years now, and thought I'd put in my two cents worth..

I've paddled several different sit on top kayak styles and brands. I really love the design for introducing new folks to paddling, especially easier whitewater. While the Torrent isn't perfect for every situation (I wouldn't dream of floating the Buffalo in anything else but my Wilderness Systems Tarpons) it is the ultimate sit on top for whitewater. Let me tell you why..

The Hull is more rounded like a creek boat would be. There isn't a keel present like there is on pretty much every other SOT out there. That is important when it comes to peeling out of eddies, avoiding being pushed around in heavy opposing currents, and especially in surfing. Yes, you tend to spin lazily in circles in long pools anytime you stop paddling, but you can take along a simple drag chain if that becomes too much of a problem for you. Thighstraps are standard if you want any real boat/body connection, and the Torrent has them. Also you never fail to get big grins when you actually roll that barge (compared to my 4Fun) in front of others! With the straps you can roll, surf, side surf.. Heck I watched Hellbender ender one over and over again at Rockport, even pulled off some sweet pirruettes! Its a fun boat for beginners and experienced alike. Nothing on the water is easier to get on and off, even in fast water. Just hang on to your paddle and everything will come out just fine. I have mine rigged with an extra cat hatch installed in the round spot on the back deck, as well as extra eyes on both sides of the back deck for securing a big drybag behind me. I've fished from it, I've taught over a dozen newbies how to surf with it, I've seen drunk buddies survive rapids upright when they probably shouldn't have, I've taken it on up to III+ water when my roll was in doubt from shoulder injuries... These boats have never let me down. Perception stopped making them for a few years (my boats are both over a decade old and still bomber strong) but Dagger is making them now for about $700 MSRP. There are outfitters out there that rotate their stock, and a good deal can be found if you look, believe me. The sticker on the front of both of mine claims the boat "is a whitewater trainer suitable for up to class 4 water". I've never had it on anything that big, but I have no doubt that it would do well in the hands of a class 4 capable paddler.

If you want a SOT that can truly handle whitewater, I wouldn't consider anything else. IMHO that is.
"Never Argue with an idiot - they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Corran Addison

Dannyboy
Name: Danny

Post by Dannyboy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Though I should say that without the big drybag behind me, they would benefit GREATLY from some kind of seat or backband setup. I have a ratchet style backband from one of the first generation 4Funs that I'm planning on installing this season. Between the depth of the butt well and the height of the backband, I believe it is going to be just about perfect! Combined with the thigh straps, and the keepers-style footbraces (which I almost forgot to mention and are practically mandatory over trying to use molded foot ridges, ugh..) I think the boat/body connection will be about as good as you'll ever get with a SOT. Ultra comfortable surfing machine, I'm tellin ya..
"Never Argue with an idiot - they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Corran Addison

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Good post Danny!

After paddling the upper Caddo in my homemade kayak for quite a few years,
My friend Steve Wright, The former(Wright Way Canoe Rentals of Glenwood) purchased a couple of SOTs in the early to mid-1990s, Torrents. One weekend day when I finished my trip down to Steve's place, a customer had finished the trip just prior and left the boat on the gravel bar. I decided to hop in and give it a whirl in the rapid just above the Glenwood bridge. I'll always remember how stable it was and how much I laughed just trying to push it too far, much farther than I'd dare try in my old, long, very narrow boat.
I'm glad you mentioned the thigh straps, and the foot braces. Really, some of the boats I've seen leave a lot to be desired with the foot braces, especially those with the narrow ridges a person might just hang half of the side of their foot on... I should have considered a Torrent back then and done a little customizing on it. If I remember correctly, the Torrents had quite a bit of rocker too.
In the years since, I have enjoyed the pair of Perception Overflow Xs I own. They're old-school but none of the newer boats I've tried have enough space for my 'skinny' 6'6" frame and size 14 feet and with any kind of shoes on :D
It's kind of sad the Perception boats, as an independent line, when away to be replaced with a line featuring no WW boats of any merit bearing their name. IMHO

Best Regards
Jim

onecross
Name: Mat P

Post by onecross » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:12 pm

saw this when i was skimming craigslist and thought it might be what you are looking for
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2843485260.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

onecross
Name: Mat P

Post by onecross » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:13 pm

saw this when i was skimming craigslist and thought it might be what you are looking for
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2843485260.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jes
Name: jes

Post by jes » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:01 pm

TG's canoes in San Marcos ,Texas may have the Dagger Torrent

Maria DeLong
Name: Maria

Post by Maria DeLong » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks for your tip on Liquid Logic. I think it got sold pretty fast. It looks like a great kayak.
Maria (deshorter)

Social Media