Winter Pool Sessions in NW Arkansas - Jones Center

Open Discussion
jerryc
Name: Jerry Cookson

Re: Winter Pool Sessions in NW Arkansas - Jones Center

Post by jerryc » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:08 am

Would like to say thanks for the patient instruction and help Saturday, think I've got a good idea of what I'm "supposed" to be doing. Hopefully none of you will run the other way when you see me coming next time!
Jerry

Omni

Post by Omni » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi all! New guy here who just got my first Boat a few weeks ago. OMTC said they would be more than happy to give me a roll class but then I found you guys and figured it would be much better learning in a heated pool!

If you dont have a problem with a complete neewb showing up I can make the Jan 14th session. Is my boat, PFD, skirt and paddle all I need to bring?

Thanks

Regud
NW AR Chapter President
Name: Ryan Dugger

Post by Regud » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Helmet and nose plugs are always good.

See you in January.
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

Mike_P
Name: Mike Potts

Post by Mike_P » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:45 am

If you're new to the roll some sort of didactic before you come will help tremendously. Here's a nice overview video:

http://www.outdoored.com/community/vide ... /3258.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Omni

Post by Omni » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks Mike. Ive watched quite a few videos on Youtube including the one you posted trying to understand the mechanics of how to roll. It doesn't look that hard but I am sure that like most things that look easy the execution is way harder than it seems.

The big issue I am having now is my gear seems to be all wrong. I bought a Dagger Zydeco a few weeks ago as an all around Jack of all trades master of none boat along with a 2 piece rec paddle. I was told it would be good up to around class 3 if my skills were good enough. Today I went to get a whitewater skirt for it and they were out! Due to the holiday season if they special order one will take about 3 weeks to arrive.

They also recommended that I try to learn the initial mechanics of rolling in a whitewater boat since mine will be different and is probably not the best for a beginner to learn to roll in.

Is anyone willing to let me try their kayak/skirt and paddle for a short while? Or does anyone have a spare set of gear that I can borrow for the class?

Thanks
Shaun

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Shaun,
Not trying to be a party-pooper, but I think the Zydeco will be an extreme challenge to roll. Whether it is sea-kayaks, WW kayaks, or even open WW canoes, the universal requirement for rolling a boat is having your knees/thighs well connected to the boat. Does the Zydeco have good thigh supports? Hard to know for sure from the product web pages.

Generally people don't bring lots of extra boats, but do get out of their boat at different times and are willing to loan.

Shep
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Omni

Post by Omni » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:06 am

Ive had a few resonses about my issue, thanks all for helping me with this.

The boat does have some padding but nothing like a true WW boat does. It has built in knee/thigh padding and adjustable foot braces. I can lock my legs into the boat but have never been in a WW boat so I dont know if its the same or not.

I was ablle to get a thick nylon skirt for the boat. The guy at packrat said that it wasnt a WW skirt but I should be able to practice one or two rolls before I have to dump water out of the boat. Im going to go ahead and bring my stuff and we will see what happens.

OMTC

Post by OMTC » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:52 am

Hey Shaun,

This is Ryan Serfass with OMTC. I will be attending the roll sessions strictly to teach and if you'd like I am happy to bring some demo gear and boat for you to use. When we offered the roll class this is the venue we were referring to and our offer still stands for the free lessons and demo gear. Also, if you feel that you would like a boat suited more for whitewater there is no problem in finding the right boat for your needs. I apologize if there was any miscommunication on our part and we would much rather have your needs met than to just sell a boat. Please feel free to give the store a call or me personally at 479-721-6978. We are more than happy to help! :thumbup:

Omni

Post by Omni » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:12 pm

Ryan,
Thanks for the reply and the offer. You have no need to apologize since OMTC sold me exactly what I was looking for and wanting.

I plan on showing up the 14th with my gear. I would be more than happy if you brought a demo rig so I can feel the difference. The more I get into this sport the more I am learning that multiple boats are normal. I am still determined to learn how to roll my current boat but we will see what happens during the class.

Thanks
Shaun

Regud
NW AR Chapter President

Post by Regud » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Pool session tomorrow... Come on out.
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Just to save folks from having to go back a page to see the original post
Regud wrote:Pool Sessions in NW Arkansas - Jones Center

The NW chapter has scheduled the Jones Center Pool for Roll Sessions this winter. The time is 8:30 to 11:00. We ask that all participants enter the Jones Center Located on Emma street in Springdale through the West doors at Pool deck level. Please rinse your boats before coming and again before putting them in the pool. The west entrance is accessable from the rear of the building. The stairs are on the south west corner of the building in the playground. There is plenty of parking on the west side as well. We usually have plenty of experienced paddlers available for advice during the roll practice sessions.

Not required, but we request a $5 donation to help offset the cost. This money goes into our fund to offer more pool sessions in the summer.

Where: Jones Center

When:
December 10, 2011 8:30am – 11am
December 17, 2011 8:30am – 11am
January 14, 2012 8:30am – 11am
January 28, 2012 8:30am – 11am
February 11, 2012 8:30am – 11am

What to bring:
Kayak gear
optional: a friend (if you don't have a friend one will be provided for you). This a good way to introduce your buddies to kayaking and to the club.

For more information or last minute changes, look here!

Omni

Post by Omni » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks to all who helped me not drown myself today! I had a blast and really enjoyed myself.

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Omni wrote:Thanks to all who helped me not drown myself today! I had a blast and really enjoyed myself.
Did you roll the Zydeco? :kayak:
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

Regud
NW AR Chapter President

Post by Regud » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Hughes did with hand paddles
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

Omni

Post by Omni » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:45 pm

As Ryan posted it was done with hand paddles but not by me.

I flopped all around and filtered half the pool through my nose.

I also want to thank Hughes "sorry forgot your first name" for letting me use his play boat for half the class. I liked it so much that I went and got a used one! I should be at the Feb 11th session and with the right gear this time!

Social Media