Wister Wave

Open Discussion

Renee H

Wister Wave

Post by Renee H » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:29 pm

For those of you lucky to be in town for this long weekend, Wister Wave might run. I am guessing the release won't be too high until the river drops some, but it looks like 6 gates are open with 3700 cfs coming out. Hopefully, it will crank up to the 6500 level this weekend. Have fun if you get to go. Looks like lake is still 44% in flood pool. Here's the link to the info:

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/WIST.lakepage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FarPastGone
Name: Matt

Re: Wister Wave

Post by FarPastGone » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Oh da baby!

Wavesport4
Name: Ryan Serfass

Post by Wavesport4 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Hey, really wanting to run Wister for the first time, do you think it will be running still by next Wednesday? Unfortunately that is my only spare time but just looking for a little more beta. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

FarPastGone

Post by FarPastGone » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:32 am

It is really hard to forecast flow for Wister a week out, especially when we don't know if it will even be brought up to a playable level. Depending on how much rain we get this weekend and how slowly the Poteau drops you may get lucky, but who knows!? They may just keep it right at 4000cfs and negate us any surf.

Rickyrod and Jason Gray know this thing better than anybody so they may be able to tell you more than I was.

- Matt

Wavesport4
Name: Ryan Serfass

Post by Wavesport4 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks Matt, I guess I'll just keep an eye on the gauges! Is 6500 cfs a good level for it or should there be a little more water before driving down to it? Also would you be interested in a Wednesday paddle if it does get bigger?

Renee H

Post by Renee H » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:33 am

Wavesport4 wrote:Thanks Matt, I guess I'll just keep an eye on the gauges! Is 6500 cfs a good level for it or should there be a little more water before driving down to it? Also would you be interested in a Wednesday paddle if it does get bigger?
Yes 6500 cfs is good level - here is a link to a video of Wister Wave at 6600 cfs. It is doable at the level they are releasing now, but I've only been at the higher level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgBmIx-ettQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:47 am

any update? Will it run? Thanks!
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Big Daddy D

Post by Big Daddy D » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:59 am

Only releasing 2500. Anyone's guess if they'll crank it up to 6500, but it doesn't appear that way. Maybe once the river recedes downstream.

FarPastGone

Post by FarPastGone » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:15 pm

The Poteau River has dropped downstream of the lake, but the lake has continued to rise (to 46.7% of the flood pool) even with releases of almost 4000 cfs for a few days last week. I could see the reason behind them dropping reservoir releases on Friday being the new round of rain we were expected to get. Now that it has passed they have brought releases up from about 3800 cfs at noon to 5100 cfs by 2PM. With no chance of rain in the forecast till next Saturday for Wister, OK they may just gradually release from 5100 cfs down to lower flows until the flood pool is taken care of. Who knows, maybe they will crank down on it the next few days with some amount of inflow into the lake still and rain looming in the 7-Day forecast.

Ryan, I have class all next week so I am locked down in Fayetteville.

I would keep my eye on the Army Corps page Renee posted since there may be a chance they bump it up. We really need to get the dam operators on our side or some agreement with the Army Corps because Wister is sweet. I think Ricky Rod, Jason Gray, and Michelle Ashford have all made some effort to towards that end, but I am not sure exactly.

- Matt

Big Daddy D

Post by Big Daddy D » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:47 pm

When we needed 1060 CFS released at Grapevine dam for the Grapevine wave, we all pitched in and got the guys at the corps two tickets to the Dallas Cowboys football game. We got perfect releases for at least a year. :thumbup:

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Good idea BDD!
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Social Media