WTB Dagger Ovation or similar Canoe

Post paddling related items for sale here or items you are looking for.
Commercial Members feel free to post your sale items here as well.

onecross
Name: Mat P

WTB Dagger Ovation or similar Canoe

Post by onecross » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Hello, I'm looking to buy a Dagger Ovation or similar Canoe. Last weekend i was at The Nantahala and asked a guy named Chuck about how to roll his WW Canoe... next thing i know im in the Canoe trying it out! what a blast!

-Mat
NTRR

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Re: WTB Dagger Ovation or similar Canoe

Post by Shep » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Mat,
Where are you located? Are you coming from a kayaking background, or new to whitewater? I know there are several people with boats that aren't actively for sale, but would be happy for you to demo something, and would entertain offers.

Thanks,
Shep
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

onecross
Name: Mat P

Post by onecross » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Shep wrote:Mat,
Where are you located? Are you coming from a kayaking background, or new to whitewater? I know there are several people with boats that aren't actively for sale, but would be happy for you to demo something, and would entertain offers.

Thanks,
Shep
Shep,
Thanks for the Replay. I'm located in the DFW area and a member of the North Texas River Runner chapter. I have been paddling a wave sports Diesel and a WS EZG and will continue to kayak but i have some intrest in getting a WW Canoe. I don't know much about Canoe cost so i figured i would test the waters here. Being a College student makes it hard to be able to come up with the money for a new one or really nice Canoe. Wish i cold get off work to join the festivities at Rendezvous and try some boats out!

Thanks,
-Mat

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:05 am

Pricing canoes is a tough one. The fact that there aren't many companies (compared with kayaks) still making new hulls means that they tend to keep their value quite well. If you are looking for an older model that does not have a cult following, like the Ovation or a Mohawk XL-13 or something, You can probably find a boat in decent shape between $400-$600 dollars. That would include airbags in decent shape. Newer models like an Esquif Nitro might be a little more, boats with no airbags or older outfitting could run less. Lots of factors involved, but, in addition to this board, I would look at craigslist, and post a wanted ad on cboats.net as well.

Good luck, and congrats on becoming a cross-over paddler!

Shep
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Social Media