Surf & Turf 2011 (Rockport, July 30)

Open Discussion
ARzach

Re: Surf & Turf 2011 (Rockport, July 30)

Post by ARzach » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:04 am

JTarver wrote:Also for the ramp, which despite the trouble with the fuzz, at least got to be utilized for awhile and by alot of new rampers who did great! That being said, it came at a cost..so if you got to enjoy the ramp from the top down, or even as a bystander, and if you haven't already, please consider a donation of whatever you can to the ramp fund.
Trouble with the fuzz?? Do tell!
Smile, summer run-off is coming!!!

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Surf & Turf was a blast. The water felt so good (it is supposed to be 110 degrees here in Arlington,TX tomorrow-all the lakes are HOT water). Nice to see everyone. Practiced many combat rolls, and I got to go off the Death Ramp once--it was great fun! Thanks Jeremy and all! :clap: :clap:
Should I donate for the Ramp at Rendezvous? Or is there an address?
Thanx,
Lorraine McPhee
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:24 pm

All Donations can be sent to the following:

Jeremy Mackey
c/o Ouachita Outdoor Outfitters
112 Blackhawk Ln.
Hot Springs, AR 71913

Checks payable to Jeremy Mackey please.

Glad you all had a great time! We did too!!!!
"For the last word in procrastination, go travel a river reluctant to lose his freedom to the sea."
-Aldo Leopold

JTarver

Post by JTarver » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Well Zach, to answer your question about the ramp problems..I can only relate a story I heard along time ago about forest dwellers.
Here goes:
Once, along time ago, there were some frollicking little squirrels who liked to hurl themselves into the water by launching off hollowed out tree stumps. It was a joyous, happy time for the little forrest fuzzies when all of a sudden there in the twilight of their fun came the big, fat, humorless, lazy lowlands badger and complained that the cute little squirrels were invading his turf and blocking access to the tree launch for other forrest pals, which the squirrels knew immediately wasn't true at all because noone else had tried to launch there all day...even hours later after the frollicking was shut down.
Well, this didn't stop the narrow-minded, overzealous, self-important rotund badger...no sir. He huffed and puffed over and over like a broken record that had been bloating in the sun. The adorable squirrels were considerate and offered to take care of the issue by relocating their festivities to another area of the wood, despite the portly, slovenly, planets rotating about his bursting beltline badger angrily chattering nonsense over and over. :chicken:
Thus, this story ends with the squirrelshow getting severed short, while sanctimonious sad sack daddy saddlebags badger plodded off elsewhere in the forrest to undoubtedly waste some other woodland creatures time. :hammer:

The End. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Joe
And all this life we've glorified
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
Don't think i don't know sympathy
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

ARzach

Post by ARzach » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:52 pm

JTarver wrote:Well Zach, to answer your question about the ramp problems..I can only relate a story I heard along time ago about forest dwellers.

The End. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Joe
Strangely enough, this makes 100% sense!

:beer:
Smile, summer run-off is coming!!!

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Post by fryingsquirrel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:35 pm

Joe, I think you missed your true calling: writing children's books! Put away that paddle and take up that pen and create some new literary masterpieces for us all. I have a sneaky suspicion who will be winning the storytelling contest at Rendezvous...
Jon Ellwood
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

JTarver

Post by JTarver » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:53 am

Gather round chilren....it's STORYTIME! lol

Joe
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:23 pm

Joe,

When you first mentioned a problem last Saturday, I thought about what that that governmental agengy might be,' the one with the green signs with yellow logos', that manage, and have authority over each one of these access ramps that they have sponsered state-wide. I have a sneaking suspicion they view them as places to launch&retrive watercraft while no one person occupying them much longer than the time needed to do so.
I don't know if by working with said agency ahead of time in the future, a waiver might be granted, a day-long closure granted, or reservation made otherwise. I would think if we might expect the agency's assistance with unconsiderate power-boaters for instance, the agency might also expect we would be the first to abide by their regulations governing the use of these access ramps by all. Just a thought.
On a note of more personal experience, on a couple of occasions I have seen folks back down on the nice shady ramp on the Caddo at Amity, unload for a family picnic&afternoon of swimming without even a thought about it.
It seems like it would be really nice to have an easier access on the Porterfield's side but its a pretty steep hill. I wonder if someone with a big enough truck, winch, and long enough cable could let this version of the ROD down the hill to the water.

Best Regards
Jim

DeBo

Post by DeBo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:43 pm

We think that someone called in a complaint just to be a nuisance.
Last edited by DeBo on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine

JTarver

Post by JTarver » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:59 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion they view them as places to launch&retrive watercraft while no one person occupying them much longer than the time needed to do so.
Jim, we were definitely launching watercraft, no doubts about that. And, it was in accordance with no one person taking more than time needed to do so, as we had several launchers. :poke:

Seriously though, had there been someone needing to launch that had asked, we would've graciously offered to help facilitate that. That being said, noone came to launch even hours after the ramp left. The "officer" also could've been more cordial about it, instead of being a tool. We apologized and said we would take care of it, and he just kept on and on about it, like the ramp is made of nerf and we could just toss it right out of the way. Provided that we haven't had any assistance with the powerboater issues (aside from the very last time it occured, which we appreciated) and have actually been told in the past that they (the officers called about the problem) didn't really give a $_ _ t, I don't feel this guy was out there simply to enforce the law, but to be a pain about it. We are an agreeable bunch, and didn't hassle the guy at all. And if his job is such a hassle, then I suggest he go work at a chair testing facility, and I'll gladly take his job.

Not trying to argue, just stating it as I witnessed at the ramp. Noone came to us and expressed any interest in launching there, before or after the problem. If they had we would've accomodated them.

Joe
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Joe,

I sure left myself open about the launchings :) And also on a more serious note, I'm certainly sorry anyone should have had to deal with this guy, his actions seem so rude and uncalled-for, and unprofessional...

Best Regards
jim

JeffT
Name: Jeff

Post by JeffT » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Malvern's mayor has stated how big of an asset the park is. He even said losing a 225 employee factory wasn't an issue since the whitewater park would bring in tourism dollars.
Maybe a call to him before the next time would focus the angry badger's attention elsewhere.

Social Media