Surf & Turf 2011 (Rockport, July 30)

Open Discussion
Jeremy M

Surf & Turf 2011 (Rockport, July 30)

Post by Jeremy M » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:36 am

The official date for Surf N Turf 2011 is July 30th. Come on down to the Porterfields side of Rockport for the Central Chapter's Annual Burger Burn and Surf Session.

:beer: :beer:

As always O.O.O. will be hosting an "after party" at the store with victuals, music, videos, and of course :beer: !!!
"For the last word in procrastination, go travel a river reluctant to lose his freedom to the sea."
-Aldo Leopold

Jeremy M

Re: Surf & Turf 2011 (Rockport, July 30)

Post by Jeremy M » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 pm

This is the ALL CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS.......

I already have the cooks for the afternoon lined out....but we'll need some side dishes. Potluck style as usual. So if you're planning on coming down to Surf & Turf, and I know all of you are...just post here and let me know what you're going to bring....side dishes and deserts, stuff that does well in the heat.

Mr. Kruger, if you could bring the big fan for the cooks again this year, that would be awesome..
"For the last word in procrastination, go travel a river reluctant to lose his freedom to the sea."
-Aldo Leopold

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:22 am

Jeremy,

I'll bring the fan for sure. I'm also going to fix a a DO full of baked beans to bring.

Best Regards
Jim

hdh
Name: Harlan

Post by hdh » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ej8i3iHzw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somebody needs to bring some RHYTHM
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:05 pm

So boiled egg and mayonaise potato salad might not be a good choice? I'm going for some high acidity vidalia onion/cucumber/tomato salad marinated in vinegar :clap:

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Post by fryingsquirrel » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Harlan, I was considering going this year, but after seeing that video (read travesty) on youtube, I think I'll pass. I will freely admit to having no style, rhythm, or even panache, and no amount of :beer: will help.
Sorry, guys.
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

Jbyrum
Name: Jordan Byrum

Post by Jbyrum » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Will Demshitz be there?
Jordan Byrum

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:34 pm

the Demshitz crew will be coming later in the summer as their trip out west is going to run a bit longer this year...I'm sure it has nothing to do with the record high water out there.... :beer: :mrgreen: :clap: :crazy: :hammer:

But you shouldn't let that stop you from coming down and hanging out at Surf N Turf.

Hamburgers, tunes, and surfing...is there a better combination?
-Aldo Leopold

Owl

Post by Owl » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:48 pm

I wonder if there's any chance Entergy could start the release earlier in the day like they did last year?

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Do we camp at Couchdale?
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Surf and turf is just a one day event at the porterfields side of rockport. If you're staying the weekend you can camp at lake Catherine state park. Rendezvous is the big gathering and campout at couchdale, but that is in September. You should definitely come to both though.
-Aldo Leopold

vtsquid
Name: Bryan

Post by vtsquid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Looks like Carrie and I are in for the day! Just to hang around help as needed maybe put the canoe in and... paddle? but not too close to the surfing spot! :lol:

Our little furry companion is interested... is he welcome, or does he need to stay home and "babysit" the cat? :D

vtsquid
Name: Bryan

Post by vtsquid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Looks like Carrie and I are in for the day! Just to hang around help as needed maybe put the canoe in and... paddle? but not too close to the surfing spot! :lol:

Our little furry companion is interested... is he welcome, or does he need to stay home and "babysit" the cat? :D

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:22 am

Vitsquid,

People bringing 'well-mannered' dogs on many float trips has usually been fine. However I would defer to Jeremy's preference for the S&T.

With regard to paddling your canoe some, I can say that quite a few of us traditionally form up an impromptu float trip down from the dam after lunch each year. We usually try and consolidate as many folks and boats in the fewest vehicles there at Porterfields, then head up to the put-in at the dam for the 5 mile float back. If you've never done this trip before, I think you would really like the scenery. We usually spend about 3 hours or so coming down and stop at a couple of gravel bars along the way to swim&loaf.

Best Regards
Jim

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:12 am

Dogs? You betcha! I would prefer that any well behaved dogs attending Surf and Turf on the Porterfields side be leashed. Even good dogs need leashes. Also, if your furry friend makes a present for us all, that you "poop a scoop" or at least move it to an area where people aren't milling around, etc..

But yeah! What's a gathering without our four legged furry friends!
-Aldo Leopold

Social Media