White River Overnighter . . . or two

Recreational and touring boaters
Richard

White River Overnighter . . . or two

Post by Richard » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Buffalo is too low to float. It is sweltering hot. But not the White River below the dams. Am thinking about floating over the course of three days. Begin at Norfork Dam and end at Allison. First night at Reds or Chesmond Landing. Second night at Boswell Shoals or Mount Olive.
Any takers?
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

c8mb

Re: White River Overnighter . . . or two

Post by c8mb » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:20 am

When?
Not that Al

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:32 am

c8mb wrote:When?
Yes, do tell.
You come too.
Robert Frost

gnick4
Name: gary

Post by gnick4 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 am

Just floated from Calico rock to Mount olive week before last. When they are generating the flow is very quick. Nice easy float, 14 miles in 5 hours with multiple stops and fishing along the way.

Have fun!

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Just floated from Calico rock to Mount olive week before last.
I may have met you at Mount Olive. Are you from St Louis?

As for when . . . I would prefer during the week. I have 52 weeks of vacation this year. :clap:
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Unlike Richard I bes a working stiff and only have three weeks of vacation per year, so some consideration may be required with regard to scheduling. I'm definitely interested though. I have an Expedition and would be happy to help with shuttling if necessary.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

Post by Louiscov » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Richard wrote:
Just floated from Calico rock to Mount olive week before last.
I may have met you at Mount Olive. Are you from St Louis?

As for when . . . I would prefer during the week. I have 52 weeks of vacation this year. :clap:
Hi Richard.

This one I've gotta miss, but keep the Current River trip, paddling October 16 - 20 on your calendar. I've also got October 7 - 9 reserved for a fall full moon canoe camping trip to the Buffalo if we have any water.

louis c

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Deuce, when can you make it?

Louis, I have both dates on the calendar. Trail work with Ken Smith is also during that time. I hope I can work it out where I can do both.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:18 pm

Have to double check with my compadre at work, but at the earliest I could probably do 8/5-8/7 (Friday-Sunday) or 8/15-8/17. If we got into the third week of August I could likely do something during the week. Sorry to be such a prima dona. It's the combination of having a wife and daughter to take to the lake and a job that requires scrupulous devotion to coverage. I have a fourteen foot gear pig of a raft and a sixteen foot Ouachita flat back. I'm happy to bring either or both.
You come too.
Robert Frost

robcmullins
Name: Rob

Post by robcmullins » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:14 pm

I would love to go as well. But alas, I am in the middle of an ERP integration so I'm stuck to Weekends only. Let me know if anyone is doing for a weekender. I just got my kayak this year, a Wilderness Systems 120 and I'm loving it. Can't seem to get out on the water enough.

Did Heber Springs a couple of weeks ago. Nice cool refreshing water.

robcmullins

Post by robcmullins » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:29 pm

To be clear you want to put in at ST HWY 177 and go to Allison-Harris right?

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:15 am

Rob, when could your weekend start? For instance, how feasible would an early Friday exit be?
You come too.
Robert Frost

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:02 am

I am very flexible as to where we put in and take out. Weekends are OK. Weekdays are better only because we have more of the river to ourselves.
Recommended put in is below Norfork Dam. Then paddle four miles to the White River and seven miles on the White to Red's Landing. We could shorten this by puting in at Norfork on the White. Red's Landing to Boswell Shoals is 17 miles. Be prepared to deal with a frustrating head wind below Calico Rock. Boswell Shoals to Allison is another 10 miles. Plan on fish for dinner each night. The dam to Allison is 39 miles. A couple of weeks ago we put in at the dam at 2pm and were at Reds at 6pm. Thats about 3mph with very little paddling.

There is a possibility that I may be out of state in August but that should not keep the rest of you from going.

About ten years ago when I was in the area, I would take off work early on Friday, set the canoe and gear off at Norfork, drive to Allison, leave my car at Anglers Resort and hitch hike back to the canoe. I would be at Red's in time to set up camp and cook dinner and have everything cleaned up before dark. Saturday morning I would get back on the river about 10am and get to Boswell in time to set up and have dinner done before dark as well. Sunday was another relaxed morning then on the river and took out at Allison about noon.

robcmullins

Post by robcmullins » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:18 am

If I am able to go, it would have to be for July 29th. I am pretty new to this and havn't taken the yak out for more than a day, so I am still learning.

Is a 12' Wilderness Systems Palmico 120 a boat that could handle this well?

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:35 am

Yes, your Pamlico would be fine. It's unlikely I'd be able to make the weekend of the 29th, but there's no need to adjust to me. I can vouch for the frustrating headwind below Calico Rock.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media