whitewater from Jonesboro

Open Discussion

crimp
Name: crim

whitewater from Jonesboro

Post by crimp » Fri May 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi all,
I am a whitewater paddler moving to Jonesboro, AR. Sadly, it seems to be farther from whitewater than I would like. I have paddled mostly in the SE, Ocoee, Chattooga, Cheoah and the like. Two questions:
1) What are the best WW options nearest Jonesboro (class 3-4+)
2) Are there any boaters in the Jonesboro area to tag along with (for rideshare and generally learning the runs)
I've poked around on AW, but am looking for any insider info available.
Thanks, y'all. J

bennettm
Name: Micah

Re: whitewater from Jonesboro

Post by bennettm » Fri May 13, 2011 5:59 pm

here is a site that has a description and location of most of the runs in AR and this forum is a great way to meet up with people.

http://www.ozarkpages.com/cgi-bin/stages.pl?ST=level" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shelbyjohnson
Name: Shelby Johnson

Post by shelbyjohnson » Fri May 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Wolf Bayou might be the closest thing to you in Jonesboro. Its a good run but maybe a little hard to catch because it doesn't have any sort of internet gauge or nearby surrogate.
Shelby Johnson

Tmuse

Post by Tmuse » Sat May 14, 2011 11:30 am

Welcome! You are kinda close to some boating in Mo, st. Francis is a good run some creeks up there too! Wolf bayou is prob the closest good run to you and the salado is good to! The runs in the central ozarks are great! But kinda of a long haul from Jonsboro but worth the trip when we get big rains! Only prob with Arkansas boating is everything is natural flow so winter will be the best time to boat when the leaves are off the trees! Alabama is a good place to boat when they have water! Great weekend boating! SYOTR!

raysuf
Name: T. Ray Sufczynski

Post by raysuf » Sun May 15, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm in Paragould AR. I lived in the Mid Atlantic before moving here 2 years ago and have been paddling for 9 yrs. Welcome to the NEA.

The St. Francis in Mo is the closest run to us. Everything else is kinda far. Send me a PM and I give you more direct contact information I'd be happy to share a ride to the rivers. Also

Also check out the Memphis Whitewater group. They do a lot of paddling back east.
T. Ray Sufczynski
ray@raysuf.com

steve b
Name: steve

Post by steve b » Mon May 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Well depending on what you think is fun vs a beating, try out Ditch 60 of the St Francis at high water. There is a small dam on that ditch just south of Jboro. Below that dam there are two holes that are pretty trashy at certain levels but I don't think they will keep a body. Look for levels of around 13 I think. Above that they start to smooth out but are not much fun. Its been awhile so you'll have to figure out what levels are best for yourself. Its only 30 min away so go check it out. Just drive south on 63 till you get to the 18 exit just south of Trueman but before you get to marked tree. If you go over a bridge that goes over Ditch 60 you've gone too far. It is visible on google maps. When you take the exit just go straight east and the road will eventually turn north and you'll be driving on the levee. Drive till you get to the dam. Boater Beware that at certain levels the concrete blocks on the river bottom are a hazard. If your interested I'll explain more.

Steve

Roger

Post by Roger » Mon May 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Wonder where this thread went wrong, stevie b? You joined the board in 2008 and just now make your first post? Why now?
:poke:
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

steve b
Name: steve

Post by steve b » Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 pm

Moved to Jonesboro from the river valley and kinda quit boating for a bit. But I always like to check out the message board and see whats going on in my home state. Thankfully living near some good water now in Wyoming.

Social Media