SUP

Open Discussion

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

SUP

Post by kayakmamma » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:07 pm

I want to try stand up paddling. Is it fun? Do you get board quick? (puny :wink: )
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Re: SUP

Post by Shep » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Jeremy at Ouachita Outdoor Outfitters is the person I think knows the most about SUP'ing on here. What I do know is this... There are pretty much three different sports which are all called SUP. Surfing in the ocean is how it started, and those boards are built like surfboards. The basic technique is the same, but I think it's all different once you start riding waves. You use the same paddles though. Flatwater and Whitewater SUPing are probably similar to paddling a sit-on-top kayak, in that you can use the same boards, but the feel of them is very different. I have only ever tried SUPing on a calm day in the ocean and on flatwater at Lake Catherine.

Hope this Helps,
Shep
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Come by OOO or call. We can chat and see whatSUP....if you're in HS we even have a demo to check out.
"For the last word in procrastination, go travel a river reluctant to lose his freedom to the sea."
-Aldo Leopold

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Thanks Shep & Jeremy.
Shep, when you paddled around Lake Catherine, was it fun, and did you feel like you got a good work out? Or was it only interesting for a bit, and then you wanted back in your kayak?

If it takes balance and skill to learn over time, and a paddler could move from flat to more "festive seas," then it sounds pretty interesting to me.
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Shep

Post by Shep » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:51 am

I'm not a lover of flatwater paddling but I'm happy to do it when it's convenient to me. If I had a SUP board and flatwater nearby I would probably do it regularly. It's definitely a good low-grade core workout if you are doing it right.
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

RandyJ
Name: Randy Jackson

Post by RandyJ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Speaking of SUP, anybody on here see the SUP on the commercial during the Super Bowl?
Let there be rain!

Shep

Post by Shep » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:57 pm

You mean the one behind the well-endowed woman in the bikini walking out of the water? Yeah, I noticed. (So maybe I have a TWO track mind?)
Paul Shepherd

ARzach

Post by ARzach » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Shep wrote:You mean the one behind the well-endowed woman in the bikini walking out of the water? Yeah, I noticed. (So maybe I have a TWO track mind?)

I saw the woman Shep refers to, but I definitely did not see a SUP...
Smile, summer run-off is coming!!!

RandyJ
Name: Randy Jackson

Post by RandyJ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Good job, Shep - winner!
Let there be rain!

Al Donaldson

Post by Al Donaldson » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Some of us old folks have been stand up paddling for quite a long time: we've just been using canoes to do it. A fairly long paddle (paddler's height + 6' to 12") and a canoe with good initial stability make for a great alternative to kneeling all the time.

But folks surely do look at you with odd expressions on their faces....

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Shep

Post by Shep » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Al, have you done any poling? I've done it several times up north, and I've been meaning to get a pole here in Arkansas and hit the Buffalo with my sister's new Arkota. :)
Paul Shepherd

Al Donaldson

Post by Al Donaldson » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Shep:

I have done some poling, and, to tell the truth, I don't care for it much. It gets more water in the canoe than I like.

I do have an Ed Hayden - made aluminum pole, if you are interested in picking one up. (Ed died last year, but he kept on poling and having fun up until then.) I can bring that down to your general area, as we will be heading down to the Big Piney River (Missouri, not the creek in AR) and paddling in the general area from Feb 14 to March 13.

Give me a holler if you'd like to get together. I'll be available by phone or email until the 13th of Feb and by email only from then until we return to Iowa.

For what little the info is worth, I also am the happy owner of a boat designed by Ed for poling, a Souhegan made by Millbrook Boats in NH. I don't pole it, but it surely makes a nice light solo boat for Iowa flatwater creeks.

The Arkota should be a great poling boat (or stand up canoe...)!

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Social Media