Pelican Dakota review

Paddling gear and boat review

jrsmith7126
Name: Justin

Pelican Dakota review

Post by jrsmith7126 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:51 am

Hey guys im looking at the Pelican Dakota canoe from Academy Sports. Its 15' 6" with a 37" width for $299. Im looking to use this canoe just to get back into a duck hunting hole then pull it up on the bank and hide it. Occasionally my wife and I may lake it out on the lake just for a couple hrs. We will be doing NO class rapids on it. Im looking for any feedback on it. I know its probably not a good quality boat but im on a VERY limited budget, espically after the Holidays. Also open to ideas or any used canoe/kayaks anyone might have. Thank you so much for your time

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Pelican Dakota review

Post by Cowper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:40 am

Welcome to our forum!

I don't have any personal experience with the Pelican, but I think you've summed it up pretty well - for what you have in mind, the boat will probably get the job done. I found some reviews on other sites:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 531AAJ5dXo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showRev ... l?prod=837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ram-x material tends to be heavy, and is more likely to oil-can (change shape), especially if stored outdoors under the sun. But oil canning doesn't make the boat not float, just maybe a bit slower when you are paddling it. One or two reviewers mentioned breaking a boat, but I think the chances of that should be slim if you're not paddling whitewater.

If you have time to look around, another option in the same price range would be to pick up a used canone from one of the local outfitters; check for example with Bryd's Outdoor Adventure Center or Turner Bend on the Mulberry, Gordons Motel / Buffalo Canoes or BOC on the Buffalo (plus any other outfitter up there, or the place down on the Caddo that I think is listed in our "commercial members" link.

If I had to choose between a used rental, vs the Pelican, I'd go with the used rental. That said, this is my "main hobby" and I do want to run moving water with the boat, plus I care about the weight, so my choices might be very different than what will work for you. It probably depends on whether or not you have the time to mess with searching around for the right used boat - used enough to be in your price range, but not so used that it is totally "trashed out".
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

jrsmith7126
Name: Justin

Post by jrsmith7126 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:23 am

Thank you so much for all the help.

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:34 pm

JRSmith,

I'm not the canoeist in the club but have looked at the pelican specs. and reviews ,since you asked. I too go along with Cowper's suggestions. I can only add that that the two major outfitters on the Upper Caddo River (Glenwood, Ar. area) are Caddo Canoe&Cabins, and Arrowhead Canoe. Like the other outfitters mentioned, one of them may have nice used boat in their fleet for sale. This is the very best time of the year to visit with the outfitters in my opinion. :) An Old Town 158-169, or Buffalo Canoes would be my choice.

Best Regards
Jim

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:03 pm

I picked up an Old Town Discovery 158 from Caddo Canoe a few years ago. The young man I dealt with (owner I assume) was exceptionally nice. By the time I got to him I had already been to see the outfitters on the Buffalo. Their sale boats were extremely rough and they were asking more than he was for boats in very good condition. He also had a bunch of kayaks for sale. It was right around this time of year. You also might consider a square stern canoe in case you ever want to slap on a trolling motor or small outboard. They're available from time to time in the paper, on CL, etc.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media