Lee Creek Cleanup (10-2-10)

Open Discussion

Half Ton
Name: J Herrick P

Lee Creek Cleanup (10-2-10)

Post by Half Ton » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:10 pm

It's about that time of year again to come on out to Lee Creek to show it some appreciation by cleaning it up, show others how to be a steward of a stream on a large scale, and to also win some cool door prizes like:

Weekend Cabin Stay at White Rock, Chacos, Stream Team Stuff, and on and on from the listed sponsors.

Come on out if you can. Would love to have a few more than the 220 that came out last year and to pick up a little more than 7,000 lbs of litter!

Last edited by Half Ton on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The challenge goes on. There are other lands and rivers, other wilderness areas, to save and to share with all. I challenge you to step forward to protect and care for the wild places you love best"

- Neil Compton

Dave Thomas
Name: Dave Thomas

Re: Lee Creek Cleanup (10-2-10)

Post by Dave Thomas » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 pm

I've got my buckets and bags set and ready to fill. I'm getting a little low on mesh bags though. Maybe Steve Filipek, Arkansas Stream Team Coordinator, will be on hand. :poke:
Paddle on,
Dave Thomas
dthomas@mohawkcanoes.com

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Right now, just praying for enough water to paddle anything. Never been on Lee creek, but if it has water, (and the Buffalo doesn't), I would consider it. I pick up trash on any water I paddle. IF my tandem partner is along, I have no choice.

Eric Esche

Half Ton

Post by Half Ton » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:15 am

Dave, Super Dave Evans is gonna be them Stream Team man on the scene. I will be sure to mention to him to bring some extra mesh bags.

Eric, in the past two years one was wet, and one was dry. If wet, then float away. If dry, then we can just clean up sites like the ACC put in and take out.....then go float it another day :D

Oh yeah, there is a stewardship trophy on the line this year. It goes to the ACC Chapter with the most participants showing up. Nothing like some braggin' rights on the line.
"The challenge goes on. There are other lands and rivers, other wilderness areas, to save and to share with all. I challenge you to step forward to protect and care for the wild places you love best"

- Neil Compton

DeBo

Post by DeBo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Now that Lee Creek is out from under threat of being dammed, let's make this a real celebration! We need new records in attendance and amounts of trash removed!
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine

sugarmtngal
Name: Gretch

Post by sugarmtngal » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:49 am

Awesome news that Pine Mtn Damn was defeated!

Half Ton,
Should be there this year and have begun rounding up some others to join in!
Lee was real scrapy/bony last Friday and went head first off the bluff not realizing lack of H 2O, ouch!
It's raining again..time to paddle again......:)!G
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair". -Kahil Gibran-

Half Ton

Post by Half Ton » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:14 am

Here is a map of the cleanup reach. At last nights ACC meeting a good point was brought up.

Where do i need/should I go and how can that be determined by the map?

If you are a RV chapter person, I recommend checking in at Natural Dam or Fall Creek. If you check in at Nat. Dam you can either stay there and pick up or go to the ACC put in or take out to pick up and then make your way up to the park for lunch, door prizes, and blue grass.

Of course you are also welcome to check in at Fall Creek or Devils Den if you would like - and then come back to win, eat, and listen.

If you are from NW chapter it's easy to check in at Devils den Day use horse area or Fall Creek. Take your pick.

If you are from any other chapter, just take your pick as to what is most convenient or easy for you.

The highlighted area on the map is river reach that is being cleaned up along.

Natural Dam,ACC take out,ACC put in,Fall Creek, and Cedar Flats seem to be the major problem areas every year and are where most volunteers will go to cleanup.

BUT if you know of a place that needs a cleaning, want to drag a boat from the ACC put in to Take out, or would like to cleanup trash alongside any of the roads feel free to take care of those areas as well.

One more thing - there is an award that will go to the Ozark Society or ACC. The award is mainly for bragging rights. It is in the shape of a paddle. What should it be called?

If the Award goes to ACC it will go to the chapter with the most participants.

If you are an ACC and Ozark Society Member you should pick one or the other to claim.....no pressure!

Be sure to write your club chapter down by your name so we can keep up with the numbers a little easier.

Looking forward to another great cleanup!

- Neil Compton

Michele Jackson

Post by Michele Jackson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:53 am

Sharon and I will be set up at Natural Dam to check people in. We'll have fresh coffee and donuts waiting for you!

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:21 am

Michele Jackson wrote:We'll have fresh coffee and donuts waiting for you!
BONUS! :D
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:01 pm

I'll be checking in at Natural Dam too. Should I plan on getting there a little early (before Shep) so I might have a better chance at scoring a donut? :poke: -joke :)
I know that Dave Evans with the Arkansas Stream Team is going to have mesh bags available, but will larger trash bags also be provided at the check-in?
Paddle on,
Dave Thomas
dthomas@mohawkcanoes.com

Half Ton

Post by Half Ton » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:16 pm

The mesh bags at Natural Dam are specifically for putting recyleables like aluminum cans and plastic and glass bottles in so they can be recycled.

Bags for cleaning up are 35 gallon force flex and contractor size WM bags.

To score mesh bags for personal use and other cleanups on into the future - pick those up at Devils Den around lunch, music, and doorpize time.

p.s. bring a mohawk canoe to give a way if you want.

- Neil Compton

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Half Ton wrote:Bags for cleaning up are 35 gallon force flex and contractor size WM bags.
p.s. bring a mohawk canoe to give a way if you want.
So the force flex and WM bags will be available at the Natural Dam check-in Saturday morning? You implied that there would be, but I wanna be sure.

I wish that I could donate a canoe to the cause. However, the Ozark Natural Science Center will be the next recipient of a donated Mohawk canoe. Keep me in the loop for next years event. For this year's Cleanup I can bring a few shirts, stickers and maybe a couple sets of minicell kneepads to give away if that interests anyone.
Paddle on,
Dave Thomas
dthomas@mohawkcanoes.com

Half Ton

Post by Half Ton » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Dave - Natural Dam will have force flex and WM contractor bags.

Just kidding about the canoe, but bring whatever you want to give away. If you bring anything to throw in the door prize pool I will make sure to include Mowhawk canoes in the sponsorship column of the after event press release. Normally like to give cred ahead of time, but what can you do when sponsorship is gained 2 days before the event from some good ole MB trash talk

I will keep mohawk in mind for a sponsorship in the future though for sure.

- Neil Compton

Half Ton

Post by Half Ton » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:50 am

251 people out

4 from the central chapter

17 from NW

9 from RV

The ACC did not get the Lee Creek Stewardship Paddle this year as the West Fork STAR Club came out 41 strong. But the NW chapter did represent in more numbers than the RV chapter.....

only .6 tons of trash to be found - and we did have efficient volunteers this year.

It could be that repetitive clean up efforts of illegal dump sites make them not get as much illegal dumping.

It could be that the ACC along with other State and Federal Agencies is making a big difference on this creek!

Many more out there to keep clean though, and we can never give up, quit, or tire - because who else will lead the charge if we don't?

Thanks to all of the participators within the club and boating community for all of your efforts over the years to organize events, participate in events, and for encouraging others not to be slackers and to be involved in keeping streams of arkansas clean!!!! :beer:

- Neil Compton

Social Media