Rendezvous (9/10 - 9/12) Schedule Available

Open Discussion
dcheshier
Name: Diane Holwick Cheshier

Rendezvous (9/10 - 9/12) Schedule Available

Post by dcheshier » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:58 am

You can now view the most current Rendezvous information including the schedule here
http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/Resour ... 202010.pdf

Rendezvous is a volunteer run event ..... thanks to everyone who has helped out so far this year

The 17th Annual Arkansas Canoe Club Rendezvous will be held September 10 – 12 at Camp Couchdale on Lake Catherine in Hot Springs. Please Plan to join us for our annual end-of-summer gathering, an opportunity for members and friends of the Arkansas Canoe Club to get together during the (usually!) dry summer months. More information will be coming soon on this year’s event

Please consider how you can help to make this year’s Rendezvous a success. Can you donate two-hours of your time over the weekend or donate an item for our silent auction (you don’t even have to attend to donate!)? Volunteers are needed in the following areas:
• On-site registration
• ACC store and raffle ticket sales
• Assisting with children’s activities
• Life guarding (skills required)
• Instructors for mini-clinics (both flat and moving water)
• Teach a fun, interesting, or informative skill at a mini clinic!
• Trip leaders for float trip (Lake Catherine or Remmel down-river)
• Shuttle Drivers for downriver trip
• Silent Auction donations (donations benefit the Conservation Fund)
• Clean-up at end of the event

Please let us know how you’d like to help out .... we are looking forward to seeing everyone at this year’s event!
Last edited by dcheshier on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diane Holwick

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Save-the-Date: Rendezvous September 10 – 12

Post by Cowper » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:40 pm

dcheshier wrote:Volunteers are needed in the following areas:
• Assisting with children’s activities
Man, there's got to be some of those I could help with. How about one or more of the following:
Mumbley Peg Contest
Indian hatchet-throwing workshop
Fire Safety Demonstration (things not to do)
Red Bull Drinking Contest
Hot Marshmellow Eating Contest
Running with Scissors - Do's and Don'ts
Lawn Darts
Making your own Hot Air balloons

OK, maybe kiddie raft rides? Or just putting kids in 'yaks at the pool, for those who never have been?
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

jvickery
Name: jvick

Post by jvickery » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:19 pm

red bull drinking contest...lol I would loss that one fast. My wife is a winner on the hot marshmallow one! I will volunteer some time but not sure what I would be best used for.

Dave Thomas
Name: Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:34 pm

I've got some Mohawk clothing and whitewater canoe outfitting gear to donate and I'd be glad to pitch in some time. RENDEZVOUS!!!
Paddle on,
Dave Thomas
dthomas@mohawkcanoes.com

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:08 pm

I think we're planning a couple of things...

S.U.P. Demo/Clinic with the Liquid Logic Versa Board

Kayak Camping Clinic, i.e. "XP Livin De-Mystified"

I'll volunteer to be a Mix-Off/Dutch Oven Taster/Judge! :beer: :clap: :drool:
"For the last word in procrastination, go travel a river reluctant to lose his freedom to the sea."
-Aldo Leopold

Tofu Canoe
Name: Rick Millard

Post by Tofu Canoe » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:58 am

can someone direct me to the Rendezvous website?
Is it not better to live with uncertainty than to fear to draw an honest breath?

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:01 am

http://arkansascanoeclub.com/Default.aspx?pageId=490146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not much on it right now.

Couchdale address is:

301 Catherine Park Rd, Lake Hamilton, AR 71913

Plug that into a mapblast for directions from your location.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:16 am

Roger, I noticed the same thing.

BTW, I realize it is too late to change the date for 2010 but if possible, please change it back to the third weekend in Sep next year. It is amazing the difference just one week makes in terms of weather.

BTW2 . . . I am willing to do a workshop on canoe camping. . . How to live in comfort in the wild . . .
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Gink
Name: Gink

Post by Gink » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:33 pm

That Red Bull Drinking Contest got my attention as well especially if its one of the "children's activities" (promotes binge eating and consumerism,plus high doses of methylxanthines such as caffienehave clear pharmaceutical properties). IMHO such "energy drinks" should not be drank in large amounts, especially by children.

Perhaps something that is equally competitve but that better acquaints them to the river and the paddling sports -- enroll them as Aquatic Crusaders (http://www.epa.gov/nps/kids/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), have a scavenger hunt indentifying non-point source pollution sources, take a little river hike where they can learn first hand issues regarding erosion and the riparian environment, even dawn the life vests and step into the water on the river to teach water flow and the effect of volume and velocity, etc. I am sure you have programs like these and many more available -- I just hope they don't get second billing as the cherished opportunities to spend time with our kids like this can be used to "till fertile minds" for a better tomorrow.

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Per Red Bull contest, several years ago, some yahoo was in charge of young people's activities and planned a meet-n-greet on Friday night for all the "youts" (as my buddy Dave R calls 'em).

During the activities, the young people were served S'mores and unlimited Pepsi and Mt. Dews!

Next morning, several parents made their unhappiness known to the activities yahoo about their children being jacked up on all that sugar which kept them up pretty late.

Or so I heard!
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Crane

Post by Crane » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:49 am

About a week ago Pat & I were with the grand-pups at Branson & the place we stayed hosted a S'mores party around a campfire one evening... just after dinner. That might be a good event for right after the Pot-luck... just a thought... but, we'd need several sober adults to host it:) crane
Crane

Dave Thomas
Name: Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:54 pm

I'll be bringing a trailer load of various models of Mohawk Canoes down to Rendezvous for folks to demo. Saturday I'll be set up on the shore of Lake Catherine and Sunday morning I'm scheduling a flotilla trip from Remmel Dam down river to Rockport. I'm not certain of Sunday's departure time yet, but I'm thinking leaving Camp Couchdale around 8:30-9:00. All canoe demos during the event and Sunday's shuttle service will be complimentary. In addition, there will be Mohawk Gear Giveaways. I'll post more info as it becomes available. RENDEZVOUS!!!
Paddle on,
Dave Thomas
dthomas@mohawkcanoes.com

[SaraUlmer]
Name: Sara Ulmer

Post by [SaraUlmer] » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:24 pm

I volunteer to be a sober adult for the s'mores roasting after the potluck or whenever it will be held. I've also volunteered for lifeguarding and children's activities. Any suggestions are welcome. I have a few idease.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Gink wrote:That Red Bull Drinking Contest ... (promotes binge eating and consumerism,plus high doses of methylxanthines such as caffienehave clear pharmaceutical properties).
Yeah Boy! My point exactly!
Gink wrote:Perhaps something that is equally competitve but that better acquaints them to the river and the paddling sports -- enroll them as Aquatic Crusaders (http://www.epa.gov/nps/kids/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), have a scavenger hunt indentifying non-point source pollution sources, take a little river hike ...
On a more serious note, these are good ideas. You should volunteer if you have the time...
[SaraUlmer] wrote:I volunteer to be a sober adult for the s'mores roasting after the potluck.... I've also volunteered for lifeguarding and children's activities.
Welcome to the board, and thanks for volunteering!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

vtsquid
Name: Bryan

Post by vtsquid » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:29 am

Well I talked to Diane

Carrie and I will be leading a flat water trip on Cathrine Saturday, after lunch Saturday, leaving from the camp and before we leave we will decide where we are going and how long we are staying out! :clap:

Also before supper that night, Carrie and I will be offering a fun Origami class, We will teach 3 different easy to memorize molds and how to practice "Random Acts of Origami" Which will be explained in the class, (or a pm if you really really really really are dieing to ask :lol: )

Carrie and I are very excited for our first Rendezvous!!!!!

Social Media