Newbie question...

Recreational and touring boaters

typicaluprightmonkey
Name: Dylan

Newbie question...

Post by typicaluprightmonkey » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Alright, I'm a little embarrassed to ask this one, since it really seems to be common knowledge around here. But I'm going to pull my newbie card and ask anyway...

I see the USGS river levels, but I really have no idea what I am looking at. I don't see any keys on the website explaining normal levels, flood stages and the like. So my question is, where do I learn about water levels for each river, what the floatable depths are, and just what exactly is being measured. And I'll admit complete ignorance on water output (cubic feet per minute, I think?) What is a healthy output? What is too much for a safe float (for a beginner, anyway)?

Now that I have exposed myself to be the total greenhorn that I am, anybody got some wisdom to share?

Thanks!

Lifejacket
Name: Adam Snodgrass

Re: Newbie question...

Post by Lifejacket » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:32 pm

Yellow Extrasport now above a blue Liquid Logic Hoss

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:25 am

And buy a copy of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Canoeing-Kayaking ... 41-6904623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I linked to Amazon so you could see a picture of the book, but most of the equipment selling outfitters listed on our "commercial members" page would most likely have a copy in stock.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

typicaluprightmonkey
Name: Dylan

Post by typicaluprightmonkey » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks guys, both of your suggestions are helping me a bunch! Now I just need to get out in this water I keep reading all about... :D

Social Media